Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Votes for amateurs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tezquirk
tezquirk  227 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 - 1:37 PM

No I only mean the click votes on images Adrian .. Not The Editors Awards .. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jan 2012 - 1:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 1:43 PM

Quote: I agree with what your saying Whipspeed .. But it still doesn't justify friends voting for friends photo's , The point of voting system Is to vote for what you think is a good photo...

Exactly, that's what I usually do, I look at the photo's in the gallery and pick any that appeal to me, rather than look through a list of favourite photographers. You get to see more different work that way.

tezquirk
tezquirk  227 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 - 1:49 PM

That's just what i do to Whipspeed ... Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014707 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 2:12 PM

Here's an interesting thing to do...

have a look at your Favourites and count how many have posted a photo in the last, say, week or fortnight...

how does that relate to your votes ?

I used get dozens of new photos in my faves each day - now its about 4 or 5, maybe 10 on a weekend.

The world has changed

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 2:22 PM

I'll have a look now as I've not looked for ages.

Right - I have 26 people in my favourites and of those only 7 posted in December and some haven't posted in the last year or 3. But then I don't tend to add many to my favourites as I just wander through the gallery most of the time.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 2 Jan 2012 - 2:25 PM
ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 2:44 PM

Reasonable comment, although I'm sure I could improve my bird shots with a bigger lens ;0)

you most definitely would, if you don't have one, go buy one if Wildlife is your bag, i recommend value for money the sigma 120-300mm f2.8 os apo dg hsm for one very good example.
I would class myself as a semi pro, as i don't make much money in photography but i really enjoy it i only have 3 awards and thought i would receive more for other images but to be honest i have risen above all the cl-icky-ness of this site and made myself better all the time, i can achieve what the pros achieve now and that is because i wanted to learn read, learn, buy magazines read, learn, understand my camera go to courses, learn, shall i go on.
The fact remains i know i am producing quality images that i am proud of and no Award is going to make me feel i am doing the right thing or wrong thing.
Rise above awards and learn Wink.

I agree with what your saying Whipspeed .. But it still doesn't justify friends voting for friends photo's , The point of voting system Is to vote for what you think is a good photo...

Friends will always vote for friends, no surprise there really, but then so do photographers so called pro and amateurs.
I personally always vote for what i think is a good photo and award the best i have seen, like i said use the site to learn from and rise above the awards thing it's getting boring now to be fair.
I have seen this type of message so many times now including from myself, but then if i was honest with myself i was not that good and needed to learn a lot more, which i have hopefully.
If you think your image deserves more recognition then put it on more sites and see where you go with it i did and got one of my images published and got editors choice ended up with nearly 600 votes on it without trying yet i put it on EPZ and it get 39 votes and no awards at all, thats the way it goes you see.

whipspeed
2 Jan 2012 - 3:09 PM

Whoops, I hope I didn't come across as justifying voting for friends photo's to get votes in return, I am on the other side of that one Smile I don't usually look through the RC gallery any more.

I work as a semi pro cycling photographer and base what I feel is a successful image on what images are selling for me, so although votes and awards on here are nice, the fact that someone is prepared to part with hard earned cash for an image is really excellent. Although most of the images I sell wouldn't do well on here as they are the really straight forward sunny day all in focus side or straight on view of a rider.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 2 Jan 2012 - 3:14 PM
Louise_Morris
Louise_Morris e2 Member 42279 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
2 Jan 2012 - 3:09 PM

I agree with friends for friends comments but do you not think that the style of photography also comes into play here. I have a number of favourites some are excellent some improving and others just in the middle ground but they all seem to have the same style & I suppose sub-conciously that is why they are faved! I look through the gallery whenever I am on epz - without any filters - so do see a lot of what comes on here but I sometimes only have time to be here a couple of times a week - other times its everyday so you do miss some images and people that you would otherwise have voted for. Through this thread I have come upon the work of someone that had before gone unnoticed by me I purely hadn't seen his work before. Short of going through all the members I don't see how any of us can encompass everyone so you will inevitably get friends for friends! Having time off work this last fortnight has enabled me to view far more than I would normally. Only trouble is I realised there is a lot of work for me to do with my efforts!! Grin Having said all of the above I thought that the object was to help each other along not to moan about votes which seems to crop up every month or so and if people don't like it then go find somewhere else that suits them better. This sort of negativity on so-called amateur images doesn't help anyone.

whipspeed
2 Jan 2012 - 3:18 PM

I don't think there is any negativity on amateur images in this topic, in fact more the opposite, there are a lot of people on here who class themselves as amateur, but in reality, their work is anything but.
I think what is being said, as has been said a number of times in a number of topics, is that the voting system doesn't always reflect this, due to, sometimes, friends voting for friends.
I've been here over 7 years ago now and I don't think any site on the web is better for getting advice or help with either images or technical help.

robthecamman
2 Jan 2012 - 3:19 PM

just take the photos and do your best.join photo club then others tell you if pics any good .wats so important about an award

whipspeed
2 Jan 2012 - 3:31 PM

Well, not sure about the joining a club bit. I'm in one and most of the members don't tell each other their images are good, in fact it seems to be a matter of national security to get your images into the club on competition night without anyone else seeing what you've got and talking about each others photography and methods (which is why a few of us have split off to do just that). As for critique nights, last year, one member brought some in to tell us that they were perfect and that he only shoots jpeg and RAW is a waste of time Grin, and one of last years competitions was won by a shot nicked off the internet, it was eventually disqualified when I emailed the competition secretary with the web page Smile
It is quite a laugh though, mainly because of these things.

robthecamman
2 Jan 2012 - 3:39 PM

haaa sounds a fun club .the idea is to put pics in to get critasism then hopefully learn tho i see wat you mean im in a club tho came on here to get second opinion as clubs can be clicky

Louise_Morris
Louise_Morris e2 Member 42279 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
2 Jan 2012 - 3:39 PM

Quote: Well, not sure about the joining a club bit. I'm in one and most of the members don't tell each other their images are good, in fact it seems to be a matter of national security to get your images into the club on competition night without anyone else seeing what you've got and talking about each others photography and methods (which is why a few of us have split off to do just that). As for critique nights, last year, one member brought some in to tell us that they were perfect and that he only shoots jpeg and RAW is a waste of time Grin, and one of last years competitions was won by a shot nicked off the internet, it was eventually disqualified when I emailed the competition secretary with the web page Smile
It is quite a laugh though, mainly because of these things.

Sounds like a brilliant evening out! Thats why its good here - nobody sees what you've got 'til you upload it Wink & a thread a couple of weeks ago tackled the theft side - so with you on the joing a club bit - stay here!!

robthecamman
2 Jan 2012 - 3:43 PM

if ur honest with your own photography you know how good it is or can be improved on best go with flow im still hopeing to improve in allsorts of ways

whipspeed
2 Jan 2012 - 3:43 PM

Oh, we do have fun, there are a few of us who don't take it that seriously so have a damn good giggle most evenings Grin We are setting up a bit of an alternative at the moment, still staying with the club, but actually going out together and sharing knowledge on shooting and processing and having a few beers at the same time.
Rob, I think we are all capable of improving, no matter what level. It's once you think you're perfect that you are stuffed Smile

Last Modified By whipspeed at 2 Jan 2012 - 3:44 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.