Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Votes for amateurs

robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 3:44PM
good idea yes go with it

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Eastlands e2
4 685 3 Northern Ireland
2 Jan 2012 3:45PM
I agree with you Loolobey about this site, since signing up about a year ago I have got more encouragement, inspiration and constructive criticism than in many years of Camera Club membership where biased voting and top secret attitudes are commonplace, John.
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 3:46PM
camera dont or cant allow for egos
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
2 Jan 2012 3:49PM

Quote:Depends on what "voting system" you mean.

Adrian's spot-on in all that he says there, particularly regarding the click-votes. Their number is no indication of an image's quality or merits., more how many friends will vote reciprocally for your vote on their images.
That's not the case with the Editor's or Guest Editor's awards though.
If you can, try switching the votes off and concentrate on the comments that people leave on your work.
Or try uploading some images to the Critique gallery where you'll receive no votes but you will get some honest feedback.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
2 Jan 2012 4:19PM

Quote:Is there a way to separate the noobs from the pros?

There is, its built in, but frowned upon by many.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
2 Jan 2012 5:22PM
I guess what I was getting at was that many of the pool of "gallery friends" I built up over the years no longer post photos, or even frequent EPZ - though I'm sure many read the forums - you doing guys Wink Happy new year!

So to get your reciprocal vote count back over 30 per shot, you get to a point where you have to do all that legwork again - hours of commenting away, clicking etc.

...or do you just forget about all that and enjoy the forums and do something more productive with your time?

Been designing a "RAW Processing For Beginners" course today....

Could have commented on 200 photos instead in that time I guess...
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
2 Jan 2012 5:41PM

Quote:Been designing a "RAW Processing For Beginners" course today....

Could have commented on 200 photos instead in that time I guess...

But which will of most use to you & your readers?

How will this course run? I could be interested in it.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
2 Jan 2012 5:44PM
The course of course Wink

1-2-1 and small groups - lightroom or capture one... so far
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
2 Jan 2012 5:51PM

Quote:Is there a way to separate the noobs from the pros?
I feel the competition element of getting an award is so much harder with professional pics compared to am snaps.
For example, my Pan FZ38 can hardly compete with an Canon EOS 5DII can it?

OMG dont let Ade hear you saying that !! :o) That thread might still be trundling along .... I darent look ;o)

Sorry Ade, just joking of course.
NikonNovice 7 103 1 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 6:25PM
I know what you mean Adrian there is a pic of the Realto bridge in Venice on here with the worst processing eg bits erased but it still received loads of praise and votes. My own pics are not great at times but they have been voted on by merit I believe as I don't know anyone else on here. I take praise or criticism as it comes and try to improve as I go. Votes help but comments are more useful.
Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 6:29PM

Quote:the Realto bridge in Venice on here

I don't know that one, is it near the Rialto Bridge ?????Smile
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
2 Jan 2012 7:00PM

Quote:the Realto bridge in Venice on here

I don't know that one, is it near the Rialto Bridge ?????Smile

Dunno....is it Mr Geographically correct but nonetheless superbly mundane and should really get a Wink
NikonNovice 7 103 1 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 7:01PM
That's how it was spelt in the photo Geoff Smile
User_Removed 4 299 4 France
2 Jan 2012 7:11PM
any competitive system is open to a judging bias of one sort or another...you post pics looking for comment, approval, votes or awards and you accept this...cest la vie....stuart
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
3 Jan 2012 12:38PM

Quote:Any competitive system is open to a judging bias of one sort or another...you post pics looking for comment, approval, votes or awards and you accept this...cest la vie....stuart

well done - you came to that conclusion pretty fast Wink

most have a good gripe about it for a few years before realising it's futile...

and pointless

When I first started I remember someone saying "I like having a laugh at the crap in the RC gallery" - that was when getting an RC was a dream and wondered what the hell he was on about (.....pretty sure it was the Legend called Fox Wink ) but it made sense after a while. And still does sadly.

Thing is - to get anywhere on these "upload" sites, and I'm on a few, you've to do a lot of networking to get noticed. You could call it "being friendly", others scathingly call it "click fishing", I call it "networking" because that's pretty much my world in real life at the moment... coffee and small talk to SME's a few times a week Wink

You've got to work out what's important on the sites. Do you want an RC every day, do you strive to please the judge who hands out the big gongs or do you just want a bit of a laugh and break from work every now and then?

EPZ's forum ain't what it used to be, but it still has its moments, so I spend my time winding Chris_L up Wink

After all, the camera is just a tool - the photographer is the creator Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.