Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

voting scheme?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

HuntedDragon
19 Jun 2013 - 3:39 PM

i was thinking that because of the diversaty amoungst the members, ranging from budding new beginners to well long in the tooth more experienced togs that maybe a 'split' voting scheme may be helpfull, particularly for the feedback aspect.

perhaps a 1-5 rating vote with a quick 'why the vote' box..

or even two legues, votes on the lesser of of us who dont know yet, and a 1-3 for the wiser amoungst us..

the reason i was thinking this was because some people just havent had time to devolope their 'art/skill' yet, they have a good photo, or have made good attempts on the pc but have slightly missed shall we say.

receiving the 'yeh one vote' is just a vote, but if it were to be a 1-3 in the beginners or more profesional, it would indicate a little better whats liked in this particular feild, and pehaps promote a little more feedback in the coments section.

(sometimes there is just a single word for the comment like 'jeez! or that is brillient', obviously sais something, but if a 1 out of three vote apears it would apear something was good enough and something wasnt for want of words, add in the feedback on a 'why the vote score' and it'd ley us know what was good/bad?).

any appinions at all?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jun 2013 - 3:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43816 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 4:24 PM

Several things...

Who would decide who would be put into which category? Or would each member decide where they feel at home?
Who would decide who moves from one league/category to the next, and why? Promoted or relegated?

No matter what your level of ability is, the Critique Gallery is available for those who want feedback on what the experienced members of the CT, and others feel is good and can be built on, and what can be altered or executed differently.

Not all members have time to leave comments every time they vote. I for one have to restrict commenting to a once or twice a week commenting session, the rest of the time I give a vote to those images I feel deserve it. I wish I had more time for commenting. Making it compulsory to justify your vote may well lead to less votes from less people...people would stop looking at images in the end.

At the end of the day, the current system is far from perfect, but it can be used by all members, and it is flexible enough to let each individual decide how they use it. Some browse through the galleries and vote/comment on random images whilst others stick to their circle of connections.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 19 Jun 2013 - 4:25 PM
HuntedDragon
19 Jun 2013 - 4:53 PM

hi malc.

it isnt for 'classificasion' as such, it would be 'who voted' with a 'why' or what they thought made it..as in no comment no vote on 'scale'.(so just a 'vote' plain old and hi please vote on mine in return lol..its fac great stuff..like the sun in it....great shot..)

its for feed back of images and what folks like and why, but bear in mind on the other site/forum/place it's often a diferent kettle of fish.(so brings in 'placement' of photo into a 'type' of market or feild)

i've seen loads of what an exspert would say 'lacking pics' but they have something to them..a good theme, well placed doff etc that 'make it an image' but, theyre not well photoshopped or the image quolity lacks etc, in a lot of the cases if you looked as a teacher looking for 'promis' you'd give a 5 out of 5, but come time to sell it..welll you'd be in court over it sort of thing.

HuntedDragon
19 Jun 2013 - 4:55 PM

its to aid learning, and offer a more creative feedback to the peeps who are more skilled, to help them 'tune' to an audience.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43816 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 5:00 PM

If I have understood you correctly, then the Critique Gallery we have today covers what you have in mind, and in a simpler way.
There's no way a "no comment, no vote" system would be accepted by the membership of ePz.

Malc

HuntedDragon
19 Jun 2013 - 5:04 PM

unless it was an extra to whats here and working.

saltireblue
19 Jun 2013 - 5:36 PM

OK...so would you care to respond to the points I raised in my first post? I can't see how it could be implemented.

Malc

Ray12
Ray12 e2 Member 173 forum postsRay12 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 5:58 PM

Two things about the voting/comments on here about peoples pictures, 1:- some people on this site as far as I can see vote/comment for friends or people they have got to know.
The other thing I think that effects the way people vote on other peoples pictures is dare I say "jealousy" or could it be the type of camera one is using ... sorry but your not a member of the Canon/Nikon club type of thing???
I put some pictures on here which I thought were very very good and so did the people who voted and passed on some really nice comments, I had 64 views on said images but only 9 votes and to very honest with you I was very disheartened. I am not saying mine are perfect far from it, I have seen images on here that to me were well pretty ordinary and that image was getting votes /comments like they were going out of fashion.

HuntedDragon
19 Jun 2013 - 6:01 PM

the 'who desides' was sorted..

the what legue was sorted.. i think..lol

having the stardard vote would sourt the time issues

implimented..as a secondry vote system

and the critique galley doesnt get any votes does it? again i think it doesnt get votes but i'll have to recheck now its mensioned.

those who want to kill some time could do so on present or past pictures, and/or just do the straight vote thing.

did i get it all?..please say so if not.

Last Modified By HuntedDragon at 19 Jun 2013 - 6:03 PM
KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 6:05 PM

Like anything in life, you get out what you put in, that applies to voting. what ever system you had in place it would suit those who put most effort in, very much like the current system.

I don't see how over complicating a system would help anyone but stroke the egos of those who are competitive, the current system works, as proved by the amount of pictures uploaded every day. I doubt many sites have lasted as long as this one so that should tell us a few things.

what you may find beneficial is forming a group and inviting members to join and take part which would also do exactly what you are requesting leaving the rest to carry on with the current system, that's been tried many times and im not sure if any are going now, one was a "telling it how it is group", the fact most died shows also that its not what people really want.

HuntedDragon
19 Jun 2013 - 6:09 PM

its all possabilities...

saltireblue
19 Jun 2013 - 6:11 PM

Alan, you've been a member here for over 4 years. You must have seen some of the innumerable threads on this very subject through the years.

I can only suggest that if you feel you have found a new approach to the voting system that has not previously been suggested, then send a report to the Editorial Team (Pete) by clicking on 'Contact Support' at the bottom of the page and submit your suggestion. It may be you have thought of a new voting scheme that hasn't been suggested before....and no, I don't have an overview of previous ideas.Smile

Malc

HuntedDragon
19 Jun 2013 - 6:16 PM

good advice..

i dont peruse that often onto the forums, dyslexia has a tolerance thing going on for reading.. so little and often proves more fruitfull.

the thread was to see what people though in general. (for the add on vote scheme).

saltireblue
19 Jun 2013 - 6:44 PM

Alan...pm sent

HuntedDragon
19 Jun 2013 - 7:23 PM

yup yup lol

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.