Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Voting System: A Modest Proposal

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: both voting threads now locked for consideration by team
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014787 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 10:50 PM

That's it in a nutshell Steve. Pete has stated in this Forum on many occassions that what he wants on this site, and was his goal from the start, is quality. Everyone has to start somewhere, as we all did, so we will always have photos ranging from beginner quality, to EC and POTW quality, that's a given. I also agree that it's not my business, but Pete has always seemed to be looking for ways to improve the site, and has asked for suggestions on many occassions over the years. Everytime anyone criticises a feature, there's a small group, who as soon as they find out how Pete feels about it, jump on the efforts of those of us trying to get a point accross. I don't know what they expect to gain by this, but I know I dispise people who cling to people of authority, looking for special favours. And what makes it worse, is that it's so damn obvious. I made a comment years ago that Pete deleted, regarding something about a bad case of Hemmorhoids; that's exactly as I see it. Sorry, I know it exists in every walk of life, and is, in fact, a way of life for some people, but I find it disgusting. That's why I get carried away with this.

And I don't believe we should be referring to any photos in the gallery as crap, even though I've been saying it also. Last time for me. Although, we did have a photo posted, back in the day, of a load of crap in a toilet, a nice close-up. Anyone remember that one?

Denny

Last Modified By StrayCat at 6 Oct 2012 - 10:51 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Oct 2012 - 10:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 11:02 PM

Quote: Everytime anyone criticises a feature, there's a small group, who as soon as they find out how Pete feels aboutt it

Or not and they just think for themselves

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
6 Oct 2012 - 11:13 PM

Quote: Everytime anyone criticises a feature, there's a small group, who as soon as they find out how Pete feels about it, jump on the efforts of those of us trying to get a point accross. I don't know what they expect to gain by this, but I know I dispise people who cling to people of authority, looking for special favours.

Or perhaps just disagree with your view? Like Cathy says, it's called thinking for yourself, which inevitably means some will agree with you and some won't. It doesn't help your argument to make unsubstantiated and inflammatory remarks like that.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95915 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 11:17 PM

In a nutshell Denny, I haven't a clue what you are going on aboutSadSad

I have read your posts over the years with an open mind, but of late, a tad of bitterness is creeping in.

It is not what you want/believe, but what the vast majority of the members and the site management want.

If I am not happy with something, I walk away, because there is no way I can influence anything

The same goes for anyone else, who feels their cap fits

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014787 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 11:18 PM

Doug, if I posted the proof, I wouldn't last 5 minutes on here, believe me.

That would be like lynching myself.Tongue

Last Modified By StrayCat at 6 Oct 2012 - 11:19 PM
CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'd like to see some proof.....you should stand by your convictions Denny.

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 11:25 PM

Quote: That's it in a nutshell Steve. Pete has stated in this Forum on many occassions that what he wants on this site, and was his goal from the start, is quality. Everyone has to start somewhere, as we all did, so we will always have photos ranging from beginner quality, to EC and POTW quality, that's a given. I also agree that it's not my business, but Pete has always seemed to be looking for ways to improve the site, and has asked for suggestions on many occassions over the years. Everytime anyone criticises a feature, there's a small group, who as soon as they find out how Pete feels about it, jump on the efforts of those of us trying to get a point accross. I don't know what they expect to gain by this, but I know I dispise people who cling to people of authority, looking for special favours. And what makes it worse, is that it's so damn obvious. I made a comment years ago that Pete deleted, regarding something about a bad case of Hemmorhoids; that's exactly as I see it. Sorry, I know it exists in every walk of life, and is, in fact, a way of life for some people, but I find it disgusting. That's why I get carried away with this.

And I don't believe we should be referring to any photos in the gallery as crap, even though I've been saying it also. Last time for me. Although, we did have a photo posted, back in the day, of a load of crap in a toilet, a nice close-up. Anyone remember that one?

Denny

Its very difficult to pinpoint your gripe Denny

If its life in general then Good Luck with thatTongueWink

As for help with photography...which is what the site is about...Then I truly believe there is none finer....and I had quite a few moans in the forums over certain issuesWink

Pete Gave this an HC and commented on its major fault

I then reposted the image in the critique gallery and got This Amazing Response from my Request for Help and Advise

StrayCat
6 Oct 2012 - 11:26 PM

I know how the system works, as I said before, I didn't just fall off a turnip truck, and yes I'm bitter, that can't be helped when the facts are so obvious. This isn't the first time I've been shouted down, or come under veiled threats, so it might be time for me to do as we say in our little prayer; as we forgive those who have trespassed against us. I don't know why I get into these discussions, maybe because I always have, since I started in the workplace at 18 years of age. Anyway, carry on regardless. I'll just use my favorite features, block member, and block thread; which, btw, I would suggest some of you start using.

StrayCat
6 Oct 2012 - 11:28 PM

Quote: Its very difficult to pinpoint your gripe Denny

Of course it is, because I can't say what I know. That's it for me on this topic.

Denny

CathyT
6 Oct 2012 - 11:30 PM

Who said that?

Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 11:33 PM

Quote: And I don't believe we should be referring to any photos in the gallery as crap, even though I've been saying it also.
Denny

Agreed Smile "Lacking in photographic merit" may be more acceptable. I don't visit the forums very often because these threads just get me down, but very very occasionally I air my voice. I really believe that this sort of discussion is massively detrimental to the site. I know of many exceptional photographers who have either left the site or visit rarely because of all this and I (though perhaps not exceptional) may soon be off too. Improving the site doesn't mean pandering to the minority who generally spend more time in the forums than uploading and viewing images or having a voting system that has to include Poisson distribution of the integral of chaos theory divided by the binomial expansion of unique views against votes cast for member A against member B......to make it all fair. FFS get a life and take some photographs.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
6 Oct 2012 - 11:34 PM

Quote: Doug, if I posted the proof, I wouldn't last 5 minutes on here, believe me.

Best not to say it at all then, Denny. As I said, it doesn't help your argument. It simply looks as though you're damning everybody who disagrees with you.

CathyT
6 Oct 2012 - 11:35 PM

Nicely put.....Steve s

Last Modified By CathyT at 6 Oct 2012 - 11:35 PM
lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 11:38 PM

Quote: Its very difficult to pinpoint your gripe Denny

Of course it is, because I can't say what I know. That's it for me on this topic.

Denny

Buying a TV Magazine will no doubt fulfill a need for Drama with little research neededTongueWink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 12:00 AM

Quote: I really believe that this sort of discussion is massively detrimental to the site. I know of many exceptional photographers who have either left the site or visit rarely because of all this

I've been thinking a lot about this today...we have always allowed this sort of thread to appear and flow and only when it becomes too abusive has it been locked. Despite this freedom of speech, which is clearly detrimental to the site.. Here we allow it to pollute what is generally a very good site.

Now with about five threads running with similar topics, maybe time for change as it's clear that people are fed up with this small handful of people who are anti- the site and try on every occasion to bring the site down. Perhaps we need to say accept or go? Perhaps we need to delete threads like this when they appear? Then the majority who enjoy can continue to enjoy.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: both voting threads now locked for consideration by team