Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Voting System: A Modest Proposal

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : both voting threads now locked for consideration by team

Cephus 10 2.2k England
7 Oct 2012 12:05AM

Quote:I really believe that this sort of discussion is massively detrimental to the site. I know of many exceptional photographers who have either left the site or visit rarely because of all this

I've been thinking a lot about this today...we have always allowed this sort of thread to appear and flow and only when it becomes too abusive has it been locked. Despite this freedom of speech, which is clearly detrimental to the site.. Here we allow it to pollute what is generally a very good site.

Now with about five threads running with similar topics, maybe time for change as it's clear that people are fed up with this small handful of people who are anti- the site and try on every occasion to bring the site down. Perhaps we need to say accept or go? Perhaps we need to delete threads like this when they appear? Then the majority who enjoy can continue to enjoy.

Gets my vote, then some of the moaners will leave.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 12:13AM
Thing is ,it's not just a little moan, no one would mind that......but it's constant. And yes detrimental to the site ...........every single time anything is mentioned on here it's literally attacked predictably but the same people time and time again.....gets my vote too.
7 Oct 2012 12:15AM
Personally, i have won a good few awards here (although not POTW, dammit, lol), and as much as i am really proud to have got them, they don't really mean as much as winning the odd competition. The feedback and recognition/appreciation from your peers is really what counts. I am not part of a clique, and really i'm just here posting what i am proud of and enjoying seeing what everyone else is doing or working on.

The conspiracy theory posts really are a pain though. Yeah, i'm sure there's some tactical voting going on (you get it anywhere, and also in a lot of public vote competitions), but i'm sure its a small minority and doesnt really effect the overall gallery and award system quite as much as the thread suggests.

If you are proud of your work, i'm sure it will get the recognition it deserves. Not just here on ePhotozine, but wherever you post (flickr, competitions, etc). Enjoy it a little. The rest of us do
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Oct 2012 12:16AM
I made a single post and left early on, made me feel quite sick, and yes its detrimental to this sites and its thousands of other members.
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
7 Oct 2012 12:19AM

Quote:I really believe that this sort of discussion is massively detrimental to the site. I know of many exceptional photographers who have either left the site or visit rarely because of all this

I've been thinking a lot about this today...we have always allowed this sort of thread to appear and flow and only when it becomes too abusive has it been locked. Despite this freedom of speech, which is clearly detrimental to the site.. Here we allow it to pollute what is generally a very good site.

Now with about five threads running with similar topics, maybe time for change as it's clear that people are fed up with this small handful of people who are anti- the site and try on every occasion to bring the site down. Perhaps we need to say accept or go? Perhaps we need to delete threads like this when they appear? Then the majority who enjoy can continue to enjoy.

There is always a need for grievances to be aired but when they are open in the forums which allows open debate then the minority have the loudest voice...

The forums are visited by very few in the overall stats of the site I would guess?

Im all for keeping the forums restricted to mainly photographic debate along with the word associations etc.

Perhaps Pete you should vet the site staff a bit more closely and pay them a wage (im guessing you dont) so their views and opinions are solely on photography not the Epz business.

Its a damn good site and the best going....Lets Keep it that wayWink
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 12:23AM
Agree entirely unfortunately, had to pm a member for some advice on photography last week as I was to afraid to ask the question here, that person who has contributed to this site for many years does not log on now due to this aggressive posting.

Shame as he was one of the most helpful contributors on here. It's morale sapping to me, for new peaple using the site it must be awful and put them off posting.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 12:33AM
time for a big change then.
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 12:37AM
The site IMO should be primarily about photography... I like the RC ..HC...EC system......it's not a biggy if one shot is less deserving than others ...it's a shame but it happens. But overall I think the majority are happy with the system and enjoy the benefits the site has to offer . All this OPTING OUT is just ridiculous.....members will either use a feature or they wont...The major downside is the trolling or just members constant negativity. ....personally I'd sort that out first.
7 Oct 2012 12:42AM

Quote:Time for a big change then.

Do you think so?

Ephotozine has been popular for some time now, and as far as i know, still attracts new people. If they didnt like it, they wouldnt join. A handfull of naysayers shouldnt mean having to change things that the majority dont have an issue
answersonapostcard e2
7 Oct 2012 12:46AM
I'm not talking about the majority, they are fine and the many polls conducted over the years as a result of the naysayers supports this so maybe its the minority that need attention?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Oct 2012 12:47AM

Quote:time for a big change then

Not too big I hope, i`m amongst those that enjoy the site, always have.
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 12:51AM
Perhaps Pete should build an EPZ jail.......for Gobshites and Bargh Humbugs.
answersonapostcard e2
7 Oct 2012 12:54AM
Jeez Cathy be reasonable have you seen the price of bread and water these days Grin
7 Oct 2012 12:54AM

Quote:Perhaps Pete should build an EPZ jail.......for Gobshites and Barr Humbugs.

Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
7 Oct 2012 1:24AM
Thanks for all the responses so far - I've been out all evening, so haven't read any of them.

I'll attempt a summary in a day or so and see what, if anything, we want to recommend to EPZ HQ. Smile