Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Voting system!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

clicknimagine
12 Mar 2010 - 7:16 PM

i do not know how far it is possible, but i think if a member gives one vote to an image, it means a full marks to the image from him, which may not be the case, everyone should be able to give marks( may be out of ten or something like that ) and the average result can represent the quality of the shot in a better way,

this kind of practice i have seen in elsewhere, it can also be an impartial marking system as it will only show the average marks,( if it is not 100%, impartiality of 75% can easily be achieved),

what do you think?...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Mar 2010 - 7:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139391 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 7:20 PM

We used to have a rating system many years ago, on here. But it was much abused so was therefore ditched in favour of the much simpler system we have now.

It's all a bit of fun anyway and not to be taken seriously! Grin

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 7:20 PM

It's how we started with voting and a lot of members gave either 5 or 1 so we scrapped it. We've been testing a method of 1 to 10 in the challenge gallery too and some cheating goes on: Ie friends clicking etc so it cannot really be trusted and will possible cause more problems than the current systems.

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
12 Mar 2010 - 7:58 PM

I've not uploaded anything for ages, but when I did I used to use my own system to judge the success of my pics. An e2 member can view their own stats, so I used to look at the ratio of views to clicks to see if my photo had enough appeal to turn views into clicks. So even if a photo only had a small number of views (ie black and white) the views to clicks ratio could be higher than a picture that had more votes, but even more views, if you get my drift.

It was just used to see how people reacted to a shot when viewed that's all.

There is a percentage view in the stats which was introduced a while ago. It doesn't function properly for pics in your portfolio that are older than the date the system was brought in, but useful for current ones.

Last Modified By Bellie at 12 Mar 2010 - 8:00 PM
sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 8:05 PM

No matter what system you try and introduce you will always have people that don't use it as it was intended, whether it be by 'boosting' a photo (or a friend) or down scoring it as we saw in the challenges galleries.

The problem is you are never going to please everyone, and unfortunately more than likely you will also alienate others from the system, particularly if they consider it flawed and open to abuse.

I've never been one to worry about clicks on my image (they aint that good anyway) however what I do value is the comments from my respected peers, and I'm not refering to the 'nice pic' type comments, but those that I know someone has put the thought into.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110165 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 8:08 PM

Its been said before but, using the voting system here or on any other site to judge the quality of your images is a snare and a delusion.

A snare in that if you put too high a value on other peoples vote you will invariably become depressed with your work

A delusion because if you join a "Click Clique" (or whatever its called now) you will get lots of "Nice Pic" comments and think its time to go professional Smile

One good way of getting feedback is to make use of the Critique gallery, no votes but usually honest and helpful feedback on where you are doing OK and where you can improve

(for me - the only marking system that really gives me believable feedback is lovely crisp £20 pound notes being pressed into my palm in exchange for one of my pics! Wink )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 12 Mar 2010 - 8:10 PM
Daffy1
Daffy1  6336 forum posts Ireland
12 Mar 2010 - 8:44 PM

This voting thing seems to get up peoples noses, I don't get many votes but I don't care because I know that my pictures are the best !! The best vote I had recently was in my office when someone asked me where did I buy the pictures hanging on my wall, when I told them that I took them myself and printed in my dining room they were VERY impressed. Votes come from strange places. Enjoy any vote you get especially the unexpected ones !! Damian

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85860 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 8:54 PM

I would have thought, that the ongoing poll, more than conveys most folks views on things Smile

If it ain't broke-why fix it?

Last Modified By tomcat at 12 Mar 2010 - 8:55 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014457 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 9:03 PM

For several years, I didn't think of it as a voting system, just whether a person liked the image. I don't know how it came to be called a vote, which seems to me to suggest a rating system, which it isn't, really. However, the box under the comments section asks you to vote, so I think this in itself suggests you are rating the image. Maybe it should be something like; Honk if you like this image!

Last Modified By StrayCat at 12 Mar 2010 - 9:04 PM
KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 9:06 PM

Quote:

what do you think?...

Do you know, my mind has just gone completely blank...

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139391 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 10:45 PM

Quote: Maybe it should be something like; Honk if you like this image!

Yes, that sounds about right! Grin

The word "vote" conveys far more importance than is justified.

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71139 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
12 Mar 2010 - 11:48 PM

I don't think of it as a vote for the most part, more of a 'I appreciate this' kind of click when I'm browsing through, I often think the 'vote' isn't quite what I'm pressing the button for

nishad1994
17 Mar 2010 - 2:07 PM

Quote: I don't think of it as a vote for the most part, more of a 'I appreciate this' kind of click

I agree to this ! According to me, there should be two buttons, one for 'vote' and the other saying 'I appreciate this' button ...... Smile
But then I agree, there will be a bit cheating ! So I guess, let it be how it is .... Smile

Nishad

Carabosse
17 Mar 2010 - 2:10 PM

Quote: there should be two buttons, one for 'vote' and the other saying 'I appreciate this'

And maybe another button for "I like you" - which is about all some votes mean! grin-light.jpg

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2010 - 5:05 PM

Quote:
And maybe another button for "I like you" - which is about all some votes mean!

You old cynic Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.