Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

VS Mode - What's the verdict?

cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
17 Apr 2013 11:27AM
The VS mode has been in Beta for such a long timeSadSadSadSadSad..........is it going to become a full time feature?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2013 11:37AM
Nah...
Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2013 12:07PM
I sometimes have a look at it, and only vote on pictures that are similar. I don't think its fair to compare a picture of a rabbit against a landscape!
conrad 10 10.9k 116
17 Apr 2013 12:13PM

Quote:I don't think its fair to compare a picture of a rabbit against a landscape!

How about apples and pears ... ? Wink
PhilT2 e2
4 104 14 England
17 Apr 2013 12:14PM
I find it quite compelling but some images get a lot of repetition compared with the majority. The leader board seems to be quite static and not necessarily representative of the best pictures. I also seem to spend less time on the new gallery uploads.........so is it a good thing? Probably not...but it is quite good fun
WhiteRose1 e2
4 1.1k 137 England
17 Apr 2013 12:16PM
Stopped bothering with it a long time ago. I voiced some queries about it a while back but heard nothing. An interesting exercise but time to move on....
Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2013 12:17PM

Quote:How about apples and pears ... ?

Suppose I could compare them with ladders!!
conrad 10 10.9k 116
17 Apr 2013 12:29PM
And snakes? Tongue
Eastlands e2
4 684 3 Northern Ireland
17 Apr 2013 12:32PM
I've been in and out of it and feel what's the point in voting for one image against another when they are different subjects and cannot be compared.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2013 12:37PM
Stopped using it long ago - it came across as trend following when it was implemented, but I don't think it's epz...
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
17 Apr 2013 12:42PM
anyone know when the beta trial will end?
PhilT2 e2
4 104 14 England
17 Apr 2013 1:01PM
Sorry, no I don't....................Just had a thought though. If it were to stay I think the caption should read "which picture has more appeal" rather than "which picture is better". As has been said before, you cannot determine which is better when comparing different genres of pictures..........but I certainly know which of two pictures has the most appeal to me and its not just the type of shot I take. If it were to be "appeal" rather than "better" then I do think you can compare "rabbits and landscapes"
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
17 Apr 2013 1:10PM
but we don't want to know which appeals we want to know which is better , and as I've said many times...you should be able to say which is better based on many aspects not just subject. A blurred flower caused by camera shake will not be as good as a superb sunset for example. Or a portrait with a post sticking out of the head in the background might not be as good as a cabbage in a stall on a market.

Answer to original question. It's going to be in beta for the foreseeable future as the guys are currently working on a new site framework to make us more mobile proof
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
17 Apr 2013 1:17PM
The problem with it is too many people are swayed by there own personal tastes. When you look at the individual "challenges" its pretty obvious when sonmeone doesn't like black and white, or DM's, or, ToS for example. In an ideal world people would judge on whats best, not their own personal preferances.

The idea was good, I'm not sure the algorithm quite worked.
PhilT2 e2
4 104 14 England
17 Apr 2013 1:31PM
Hi Pete
I accept that a good photo will be technically better than a blurred shot or one with intrusive elements which spoil any picture. Tell me how you can compare a perfect landscape with a superb portrait as each can be of an equally high standard. There are many different technicalities to take into account depending on the subject or type of picture you are taking. Does an outstanding macro compare with an outstanding sunset?? For me it is simple........if the shot is badly out of focus or badly composed I will vote for the second picture which is in focus but may be still badly composed. But with two technically excellent pictures I will vote for the most appealing (to me).
At the end of the day, I still rate art, photographs, music, wine and many other things on what appeals to me personally. My photographic skills and kit are very limited, but the membership here has massive talent which I appreciate very much.
I still maintain that people vote with there eyes and heart........rather than study the photograph in microscopic detail to determine whether a shot suffers from any tiny element which could detract from perfection.
Just as another small point........how do some pictures appear over one hundred times and far better pictures appear just once or twice.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.