Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

VS Mode - What's the verdict?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104025 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 11:27 AM

The VS mode has been in Beta for such a long timeSadSadSadSadSad..........is it going to become a full time feature?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Apr 2013 - 11:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122275 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 11:37 AM

Nah...

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Apr 2013 - 12:07 PM

I sometimes have a look at it, and only vote on pictures that are similar. I don't think its fair to compare a picture of a rabbit against a landscape!

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 12:13 PM

Quote: I don't think its fair to compare a picture of a rabbit against a landscape!

How about apples and pears ... ? Wink

PhilT2
PhilT2 e2 Member 4100 forum postsPhilT2 vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 12:14 PM

I find it quite compelling but some images get a lot of repetition compared with the majority. The leader board seems to be quite static and not necessarily representative of the best pictures. I also seem to spend less time on the new gallery uploads.........so is it a good thing? Probably not...but it is quite good fun

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41056 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 12:16 PM

Stopped bothering with it a long time ago. I voiced some queries about it a while back but heard nothing. An interesting exercise but time to move on....

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Apr 2013 - 12:17 PM

Quote: How about apples and pears ... ?

Suppose I could compare them with ladders!!

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 12:29 PM

And snakes? Tongue

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3651 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 12:32 PM

I've been in and out of it and feel what's the point in voting for one image against another when they are different subjects and cannot be compared.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72306 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 12:37 PM

Stopped using it long ago - it came across as trend following when it was implemented, but I don't think it's epz...

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104025 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 12:42 PM

anyone know when the beta trial will end?

Last Modified By cats_123 at 17 Apr 2013 - 12:42 PM
PhilT2
PhilT2 e2 Member 4100 forum postsPhilT2 vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 1:01 PM

Sorry, no I don't....................Just had a thought though. If it were to stay I think the caption should read "which picture has more appeal" rather than "which picture is better". As has been said before, you cannot determine which is better when comparing different genres of pictures..........but I certainly know which of two pictures has the most appeal to me and its not just the type of shot I take. If it were to be "appeal" rather than "better" then I do think you can compare "rabbits and landscapes"

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318449 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 1:10 PM

but we don't want to know which appeals we want to know which is better , and as I've said many times...you should be able to say which is better based on many aspects not just subject. A blurred flower caused by camera shake will not be as good as a superb sunset for example. Or a portrait with a post sticking out of the head in the background might not be as good as a cabbage in a stall on a market.

Answer to original question. It's going to be in beta for the foreseeable future as the guys are currently working on a new site framework to make us more mobile proof

Last Modified By Pete at 17 Apr 2013 - 1:11 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73886 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 1:17 PM

The problem with it is too many people are swayed by there own personal tastes. When you look at the individual "challenges" its pretty obvious when sonmeone doesn't like black and white, or DM's, or, ToS for example. In an ideal world people would judge on whats best, not their own personal preferances.

The idea was good, I'm not sure the algorithm quite worked.

PhilT2
17 Apr 2013 - 1:31 PM

Hi Pete
I accept that a good photo will be technically better than a blurred shot or one with intrusive elements which spoil any picture. Tell me how you can compare a perfect landscape with a superb portrait as each can be of an equally high standard. There are many different technicalities to take into account depending on the subject or type of picture you are taking. Does an outstanding macro compare with an outstanding sunset?? For me it is simple........if the shot is badly out of focus or badly composed I will vote for the second picture which is in focus but may be still badly composed. But with two technically excellent pictures I will vote for the most appealing (to me).
At the end of the day, I still rate art, photographs, music, wine and many other things on what appeals to me personally. My photographic skills and kit are very limited, but the membership here has massive talent which I appreciate very much.
I still maintain that people vote with there eyes and heart........rather than study the photograph in microscopic detail to determine whether a shot suffers from any tiny element which could detract from perfection.
Just as another small point........how do some pictures appear over one hundred times and far better pictures appear just once or twice.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.