Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

VS Mode

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    lonely_oryx
    lonely_oryx e2 Member 661 forum postslonely_oryx vcard England54 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 12:29 PM

In VS mode, why do the same pictures come up again and again and again?

How come some pictures get a lot of Ratings? The top image has had over 100 ratings yet most images get 4 or 5.

As someone who has just returned to the site, how do I contact EPZ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Nov 2012 - 12:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

derekhansen
    derekhansen e2 Member 5185 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom24 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 12:51 PM

I too am a little mystified as how the vs mode is generated. ie how are the images selected for review in the first place?

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 12:53 PM

Quote: I too am a little mystified as how the vs mode is generated

It's an algorithm, as I understand it. Now the Team are a developer down, I suspect there is no time to work on VS, which is still beta, any further.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318447 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 1:19 PM

Quote: In VS mode, why do the same pictures come up again and again and again?

There shouldn't be too many repeats only when the photo has gone up in ratings and them it's being rated against a higher rated photo.

Quote: How come some pictures get a lot of Ratings? The top image has had over 100 ratings yet most images get 4 or 5.

We're still working on the formula to ensure we get the right mix.

Quote: I suspect there is no time to work on VS, which is still beta, any further.

Incorrect

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 1:24 PM

Quote: We're still working on the formula to ensure we get the right mix.

I'm quite surprised, when there is still a long to-do list of things to do which members positively want. Wink

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 2:51 PM

Quote: I'm quite surprised, when there is still a long to-do list of things to do which members positively want.

HWGA!

Last Modified By Just Jas at 27 Nov 2012 - 2:51 PM
    lonely_oryx
    lonely_oryx e2 Member 661 forum postslonely_oryx vcard England54 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 3:43 PM

'There shouldn't be too many repeats only when the photo has gone up in ratings and them it's being rated against a higher rated photo.'

Most of the repeat pictures are not that high in the ratings. It seems impossible for most pictures to have a chance to get that far.

AnneWorner
    AnneWorner e2 Member 6613 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 5:39 PM

I'm afraid that one of the main reasons I ceased to occasionally vote in the VS mode was the fact that images often were repeated, against other images that were also repeated - I understand the thinking behind it. But I think photographers are especially visual, and I for one want new input, not having to constantly rate the same image over others several times.

I will be interested though, to see how this all works out in the end.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318447 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 5:58 PM

If you see two unrated photos and select one of them it's going to rank higher. The question is then - are you saying you'd never want to see that again even if it was against another shot that was much better than the first?

AnneWorner
    AnneWorner e2 Member 6613 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 6:06 PM

Yes, I guess that's what I'm saying Pete. I didn't mind seeing it once against another photo, but then the images came up over and over (I counted 8 times for one image), and it came up against others that I had also seen several times. It sort of felt like I was banging my head against a wall Tongue I wanted to go on to new images, but the program seemed to want to keep me in a loop.

Paul_Anthony
    27 Nov 2012 - 6:24 PM

Quote: The question is then - are you saying you'd never want to see that again even if it was against another shot that was much better than the first?

Don't really mind seeing an image for a second time, just not within a few votes of seeing it for the first time, or in the same VS voting session for that matter, on the rare occasion that I use the feature now, I leave the feature as soon as an image comes up more than once. There must be hundreds of thousands of images in the system, why does the the same image get repeated almost immediately quite regularly?

Paul

AnneWorner
    27 Nov 2012 - 6:25 PM

Well, never might be a bit too strong a word Pete.

What seemed to happen was that one image would repeatedly come up in the course of maybe the 10 minutes I would vote. The program would also "remember" where I was because if I logged off and came back in a few hours it would throw that same image at me again.

lonely_oryx
    27 Nov 2012 - 7:08 PM

Some of my pictures have never been rated, others have 100% after just 1 rating and then they get lost in the system

Snapster
    Snapster e2 Member 2120 forum postsSnapster vcard England
    27 Nov 2012 - 7:44 PM

One of my pics has a VS mode rating of 101 / 57.14%
    Does that mean it's been viewed/rated 101 times?

chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    27 Nov 2012 - 8:35 PM

Quote: One of my pics has a VS mode rating of 101 / 57.14%
    Does that mean it's been viewed/rated 101 times?

Not quite. Now I may be wrong and I'm sure if I am I will be quickly corrected. But from what i can work out is when you receive a vote it starts at 100 if you get a positive vote then it would go up by 1, if the image loses a challenge it goes down by 1. You can click on it and see what you've beaten Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.