Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

VS MODE what do you look for?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Gary66
    Gary66  1158 forum posts England
    3 Oct 2012 - 2:52 PM

Do you take part in the vs mode (which photo is better)? out of interest what do you look for when deciding which photograph is better?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Oct 2012 - 2:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 2:59 PM

I judge each picture on its own merits and give it some sort of rating, then pick the photo to which I have given the highest rating. It's the only realistic way to do it, otherwise you would end up constantly picking the photo in the category you prefer (eg landscapes).

Ian

KevSB
    KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 3:03 PM

It's quite strange, I've had a few goes and each choice is different, in some cases in technical, another on subject and in some cases the fact I like the picture altho it fails at the other two.
    I do come across the situation I don't like both and do skip.

Poor quality isn't a massive problem for me if the picture grabs my attention

Last Modified By KevSB at 3 Oct 2012 - 3:04 PM
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 3:26 PM

TBH, I think 'gut reaction' is the only possible basis.

Whilst waiting for a phone call, I decided to look at the gallery in VS mode. What struck me was how often I liked both photos, possibly for completely different reasons, and therefore how difficult it was to make a choice... even on a gut reaction basis.

At least with Challenges you were comparing like with like, broadly speaking. VS seems to be random and retrograde in comparison. I know Challenges fell out of favour, but perhaps something a lot better than VS could have replaced it. Or we could just accept it's not something that interests the majority.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122191 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 3:27 PM

In most cases it is reasonably obvious. I think I start with what does it do for me and then compare technical qualities. Far more difficult when the images are similar in quality. Unlike many others on this forum, I find this quite an interesting exercise. Whether it will keep me interested for an extended period remains to be seen, but so far so good.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72123 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 3:28 PM

I agree with Ian and KevSB, and revert to the skip button when 2 images are displayed that are equally good or bad, that I cannot make a choice on.

It is more challenging when 2 images are displayed that are of the same genre/catagory, as you have to look more carefully at what is making one image more appealing than another.

KevSB
    KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 3:48 PM

One observation I've noticed by the way is that it shows a lot more about me, apart from obvious category's that I personally like I've seen patterns forming in my choices, I've seen a tendency in me to choose pictures when something is happening.
    I'm not a big follower of sports pictures but find myself giving them the win more often as they seem more interesting, not a fan of fluffy water but again will get my choice against most landscapes. The macro bug pics I ave no interest in but again loads of first choices just on the the quality of these pictures.
    Time consuming but very interesting, look forward to see how this goes in a few weeks when the best pictures start to dominate the leader board.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014007 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 3:49 PM

I don't find judging two pics in different categories a problem, its not much different to open comps in camera clubs.
    I generally pick on what I perceve to have technically the most quality or that speaks to me the most.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 3:59 PM

I use more or less the same criteria I use when I judge for EC and HCs
    I pick the one that stands out for one or more of several reasons, comprising objective and subjective viewpoint.

Technical excellence
    Includes photographs that are razor sharp, perfectly exposed, superbly composed, fantastically edited.

Innovative
    Includes photographs that are original, not run of the mill, different than the norm. Ones that make me think 'wow never seen that before!'

Treatment of the subject matter
    The way a particular subject is approached, shallow depth-of-field for a wild flower may do better than a front to back sharp meadow. A side profile of a fox may do better than a head on shot, a racing car panned is likely to work better than one that looks as though it's stood still etc.

Creativity
    Includes photographs that break rules, stand out for odd colours, interesting compositions, selective focus etc.

Presentation
    A badly framed or titled photo may lose mental points and a perfectly presented photo may gain points, but essentially it's the centre that counts.

Using this criteria it doesn't matter what the subject is it just becomes difficult when either are either extremely good or extremely poor. Then I either skip or wish I could put both forward.

When they are both really good (and only then) I might apply another aspect

Personal appeal to me for one reason or another.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.