Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet - worth buying

Consulo 10 815 10 Scotland
6 Dec 2011 1:29PM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of casting aside my mouse and getting a tablet for working in photoshop. I don't have much money to spend, but could stretch to buying a wacom bamboo. Just wondering if anyone else has used one and whether they are worth the money?

Cheers,
Michael.

EDIT - That title should've had a question mark at the end of it. Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
6 Dec 2011 1:33PM
Definitely.
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 1:33PM
6 Dec 2011 1:37PM

Quote:covered numerous times Tongue

But that was years ago, man! Tongue

Thanks for the link. Seems like a pretty definite answer in there.
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 1:54PM
Absolutely - I never use a mouse now, even for normal (ie non-photo processing) computer use and I have no wrist pain anymore.
Takes a little getting used to but go for it!
hollkj e2
10 196 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 2:18PM
I use mine all the time but in conjunction with a trackball (with scroll wheel). I find moving around applications easier with the trackball and things you'd usual use a pen for better with the bamboo (i.e. working on photos in photoshop).
6 Dec 2011 2:36PM

it was a couple of years ago yes, but the tablet is the same, and the idea of one is the same too, i have one, and it is much better for editing photos and for general web use, although, if you use dual screens you will find that it only works effectively on one screen.
6 Dec 2011 2:40PM

it was a couple of years ago yes, but the tablet is the same, and the idea of one is the same too, i have one, and it is much better for editing photos and for general web use, although, if you use dual screens you will find that it only works effectively on one screen.

Don't worry, I was just yanking your chain.

I'm only on a single screen set-up, so that won't be a problem. I wasn't aware that you could you could use it for web use - interesting.
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
6 Dec 2011 3:31PM
Another yes from me, I got myself one and it does have it's uses. Although I do flit between that and the mouse
PhilScot 8 319 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 3:41PM
[i]although, if you use dual screens you will find that it only works effectively on one screen.[/i

I use a Bamboo with a 2 screen setup, no problems and just as good on both screens.
If you do get one, lock your mouse away in a drawer for a couple of days and just use the pen. You will get used to it a lot faster and never go back to the mouse for anything.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
6 Dec 2011 3:49PM
It's superb. I also have a cheap one from Asda for the laptop and that also does a good job.

I wouldn't go back to editing without a tablet
6 Dec 2011 3:50PM

Quote:[i]although, if you use dual screens you will find that it only works effectively on one screen.[/i

I use a Bamboo with a 2 screen setup, no problems and just as good on both screens.
If you do get one, lock your mouse away in a drawer for a couple of days and just use the pen. You will get used to it a lot faster and never go back to the mouse for anything.

agree with locking the mouse away.... or you will try and use again, lol.... but after the first few days, you may never go back to a mouse. Smile

the tablet works fine with two screens, but not so well with both at once, i use my number 1 screen with the mouse and the number 2 larger editing screen with the tablet, as i found that using the tablet with both screens at once reduces the size of the working area on the tablet for each screen, as you effectively cut the tablet in half for each screen. Smile unless there is a way around this, as i do find it a little bit of a pain switching to the mouse to choose from another menu etc. Sad Tongue
NikLG 9 1.7k England
7 Dec 2011 9:45AM
I use 2 screens in work, with a mouse and a tablet. Never had any issues with pen accuracy or with switching from mouse to pen and back on a regular basis. Though occasionally the pen drops out of my mouth when I am mousing...
I did try and force myself to become ambidextrous a few years ago by using the mouse in my left hand. I thought it'd be more useful than swapping. Didn't work for me, but I have worked with people who do that.
7 Dec 2011 11:06AM

Quote:I use 2 screens in work, with a mouse and a tablet. Never had any issues with pen accuracy or with switching from mouse to pen and back on a regular basis. Though occasionally the pen drops out of my mouth when I am mousing...
I did try and force myself to become ambidextrous a few years ago by using the mouse in my left hand. I thought it'd be more useful than swapping. Didn't work for me, but I have worked with people who do that.

it only affects it if you are using the pen for both screens at once, as the tablet gets 'cut in half' with each half being used for each screen.

I might try the left handed mouse idea..... they have to do that at work, as they use a 3D design program, and have the joystick in the right hand that controls the view and zoom of the object, and the mouse in the left hand that controls the function and menu system.
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
7 Dec 2011 12:50PM

Quote:I don't have much money to spend, but could stretch to buying a wacom bamboo.

You might want to check out your local Lidl store, assuming you have one in your area. From Thursday 8th December they are selling a SilverCrest Graphics Tablet for 49.99. It looks very feature-packed and comes with a three year guarantee.
I don't know too much about the SilverCrest brand although I bought some SilverCrest digital kitchen scales a couple of years ago, they turned out to be a very well made, reliable and accurate bit of kit, if the graphics tablet is of a similar quality it should be well worth a look.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.