Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet - worth buying

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Consulo
Consulo  10763 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2011 - 1:29 PM

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of casting aside my mouse and getting a tablet for working in photoshop. I don't have much money to spend, but could stretch to buying a wacom bamboo. Just wondering if anyone else has used one and whether they are worth the money?

Cheers,
Michael.

EDIT - That title should've had a question mark at the end of it. Grin

Last Modified By Consulo at 6 Dec 2011 - 1:30 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Dec 2011 - 1:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2011 - 1:33 PM

Definitely.

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2011 - 1:33 PM

covered numerous times Tongue

Consulo
6 Dec 2011 - 1:37 PM

Quote: covered numerous times Tongue

But that was years ago, man! Tongue

Thanks for the link. Seems like a pretty definite answer in there.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7533 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 - 1:54 PM

Absolutely - I never use a mouse now, even for normal (ie non-photo processing) computer use and I have no wrist pain anymore.
Takes a little getting used to but go for it!

hollkj
hollkj e2 Member 9186 forum postshollkj vcard United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 - 2:18 PM

I use mine all the time but in conjunction with a trackball (with scroll wheel). I find moving around applications easier with the trackball and things you'd usual use a pen for better with the bamboo (i.e. working on photos in photoshop).

BigRick
6 Dec 2011 - 2:36 PM

it was a couple of years ago yes, but the tablet is the same, and the idea of one is the same too, i have one, and it is much better for editing photos and for general web use, although, if you use dual screens you will find that it only works effectively on one screen.

Consulo
6 Dec 2011 - 2:40 PM

it was a couple of years ago yes, but the tablet is the same, and the idea of one is the same too, i have one, and it is much better for editing photos and for general web use, although, if you use dual screens you will find that it only works effectively on one screen.

Don't worry, I was just yanking your chain.

I'm only on a single screen set-up, so that won't be a problem. I wasn't aware that you could you could use it for web use - interesting.

MrGoatsmilk
6 Dec 2011 - 3:31 PM

Another yes from me, I got myself one and it does have it's uses. Although I do flit between that and the mouse

PhilScot
PhilScot  8255 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 - 3:41 PM

[i]although, if you use dual screens you will find that it only works effectively on one screen.[/i

I use a Bamboo with a 2 screen setup, no problems and just as good on both screens.
If you do get one, lock your mouse away in a drawer for a couple of days and just use the pen. You will get used to it a lot faster and never go back to the mouse for anything.

Last Modified By PhilScot at 6 Dec 2011 - 3:44 PM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2011 - 3:49 PM

It's superb. I also have a cheap one from Asda for the laptop and that also does a good job.

I wouldn't go back to editing without a tablet

BigRick
6 Dec 2011 - 3:50 PM

Quote: [i]although, if you use dual screens you will find that it only works effectively on one screen.[/i

I use a Bamboo with a 2 screen setup, no problems and just as good on both screens.
If you do get one, lock your mouse away in a drawer for a couple of days and just use the pen. You will get used to it a lot faster and never go back to the mouse for anything.

agree with locking the mouse away.... or you will try and use again, lol.... but after the first few days, you may never go back to a mouse. Smile

the tablet works fine with two screens, but not so well with both at once, i use my number 1 screen with the mouse and the number 2 larger editing screen with the tablet, as i found that using the tablet with both screens at once reduces the size of the working area on the tablet for each screen, as you effectively cut the tablet in half for each screen. Smile unless there is a way around this, as i do find it a little bit of a pain switching to the mouse to choose from another menu etc. Sad Tongue

NikLG
NikLG  91736 forum posts England
7 Dec 2011 - 9:45 AM

I use 2 screens in work, with a mouse and a tablet. Never had any issues with pen accuracy or with switching from mouse to pen and back on a regular basis. Though occasionally the pen drops out of my mouth when I am mousing...
I did try and force myself to become ambidextrous a few years ago by using the mouse in my left hand. I thought it'd be more useful than swapping. Didn't work for me, but I have worked with people who do that.

BigRick
7 Dec 2011 - 11:06 AM

Quote: I use 2 screens in work, with a mouse and a tablet. Never had any issues with pen accuracy or with switching from mouse to pen and back on a regular basis. Though occasionally the pen drops out of my mouth when I am mousing...
I did try and force myself to become ambidextrous a few years ago by using the mouse in my left hand. I thought it'd be more useful than swapping. Didn't work for me, but I have worked with people who do that.

it only affects it if you are using the pen for both screens at once, as the tablet gets 'cut in half' with each half being used for each screen.

I might try the left handed mouse idea..... they have to do that at work, as they use a 3D design program, and have the joystick in the right hand that controls the view and zoom of the object, and the mouse in the left hand that controls the function and menu system.

justin c
justin c  104517 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2011 - 12:50 PM

Quote: I don't have much money to spend, but could stretch to buying a wacom bamboo.

You might want to check out your local Lidl store, assuming you have one in your area. From Thursday 8th December they are selling a SilverCrest Graphics Tablet for 49.99. It looks very feature-packed and comes with a three year guarantee.
I don't know too much about the SilverCrest brand although I bought some SilverCrest digital kitchen scales a couple of years ago, they turned out to be a very well made, reliable and accurate bit of kit, if the graphics tablet is of a similar quality it should be well worth a look.

Last Modified By justin c at 7 Dec 2011 - 12:56 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.