Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Wacom intuos.

Paulbee e2
10 36 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 9:15AM
I am thinking of getting an "Intuos Medium" tablet to process photos. anyone used one yet, and are they worth the money ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 9:28AM
further down topics theres a question about reccomended tablets
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
5 Nov 2013 9:35AM

Quote:further down topics theres a question about reccomended tablets

Different type of tablet.

As for the Intuos tablets. I had one several years ago and could not get the hang of using the pen / stylus so gave up.
5 Nov 2013 9:52AM
They are great for editing. If you get one hide your mouse for a few weeks and make yourself use only the tablet that way you have to learn how to use it. There is a learning curve but worth it once learnt.

If you can get hold of a student and use their student pass etc you can get great discounts also.
Willpower 3 217 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 9:54AM

Quote:As for the Intuos tablets. I had one several years ago and could not get the hang of using the pen / stylus so gave up.

Likewise. I bought an Intuous 4 and spent a long time trying to get to terms with it... I lost. It was a remarkable bit of kit and can fulfil all of the claims made of it. If you can get used to the methodology. I know there are hundreds of people out there who will justifiably sing it's praises.
I for one found it awkward and non intuitive, so I sold it on.

It would be helpful if you knew someone who already had one and would let you have a go. It's a big 's outlay, if ultimately you find it unsuitable.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
5 Nov 2013 11:06AM
We have several Intuos 3 and one old Intuos 2, permanently connected to our computers and we wouldn't be without them.

For Photoshop work, they allow us to use the far more natural movement of "pen on paper" and so they'll cause a lot less fatigue than a mouse.

For word processing, a mouse is easier, so have both connected.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 1:00PM
I went for the Small bamboo pen and touch after 6 months of deliberation about it - within 2 days could not live with out it. I quickly turned off the touch feature and just use the pen and its pressure.
I've a small desk area so the small size is fine, and as I've 2 screens side by side and only use one for editing my work area is about half the small tablet anyway - still plenty big enough for editing.
Id guess the Intuos is more sensitive and the bigger work area might be better for artists.
So if you like to edit photo's and currently use a mouse - yes get one when you can.
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
5 Nov 2013 1:40PM
The medium is the one i use. It is great for editing - i find far better than my mouse for most things. The medium was a good size as well as it was a good working area but not too big for the desk. I am pleased i paid the money. I got a discount as i was in full time education so got it from an edcation discount supplier.
wnbeat 9 47 Scotland
5 Nov 2013 1:45PM
The bamboo does a good job for photo processing, I wouldnt spend the money on an intuous as I use one at work and in my opinion is more suited to graphic design and artists
Hugo 9 647 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 2:00PM
Medium Bamboo here - it was fairly expensive as it is (over 100, poor value when compared to say an iPad!) - I don't think the Intuos are worth it for casual use. Wouldn't be without a tablet tho. Pity Lightroom has poor support for tablet. Also have mouse plugged in for the odd bit of software that works better with mouse.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 2:34PM
Highly recomended - I use the intuos medium pen/tablet with my left hand, and a mouse in my right.
Paulbee e2
10 36 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 3:14PM
Thanks for all your comments folks, all very helpful.
Regards Paul.
Chrism8 8 752 14 England
5 Nov 2013 6:50PM
I went for the small bamboo with pen only as researched a bit and discovered your hand movements affected the pad, use it a lot for images in cs6 and wouldn't be without it, also wouldn't upgrade as size is perfect, costwise about 50
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
5 Nov 2013 8:46PM
I use the Intuos 4 (Medium) and find it excellent and money very well spent. Highly recommended.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.