Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

wader identity

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 8:23 PM

help please,

i took a picture or two yesterday of this little wader at Titchwell in Norfolk. it was working the edges of a marsh in close proximity to a spotted red shank and was approximately the same size. i cant immediately identify it even with the help of the RSPB site. its similar to stint but has the wrong colour legs and beak.

can anyone in the wildlife fraternity help with this please.

regards
Phillike-a-stint.jpg

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 8 Apr 2012 - 8:25 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Apr 2012 - 8:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
8 Apr 2012 - 8:31 PM

It's a nice photo Phil.

Have you tried the Google images thingy to try to find a similar one? (The service that you use to find out if anyone has pirated your images)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Apr 2012 - 8:32 PM
NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 8:33 PM

stinty-2.jpg

NEWMANP
8 Apr 2012 - 8:36 PM

Thanks,
yes i have had a trawl on the interweb but cant find another wader like it, im sure its common enough but even the spotted redshank it was with is considered a semi rarity with only 90 off overwintering adults in uk

User_Removed
8 Apr 2012 - 8:38 PM

...I tried that and seemed to narrow it down to one of about thirteen species of sandpiper.

I dropped your image into the Google box and it was mainly sandpipers that came up

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Apr 2012 - 8:39 PM
Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 8:57 PM

It looks to me to be like a Dunlin or a Little Stint. Since Dunlin are much more common it is likely to be one of them. The plumage may be in the process of changing from winter to summer and that can make identification awkward.

User_Removed
8 Apr 2012 - 9:13 PM

From a straight 'Google' search. it's a Dunlin. Smile

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61193 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 9:15 PM

Trying to establish whether this is a sandpiper or not. Very unusual bird. I will email my brother in law whose knowledge of waders and all things ornithological is immense.

NEWMANP
8 Apr 2012 - 9:20 PM

i wish i could convince myself its a Dunlin but it hasnt a dark patch on the underbelly and i first thought it was a little stint but the legs and beak should be black
Phil

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61193 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 9:20 PM

Dunlins are almost black underneath although winter plumage can disguise it. Would have thought it would be showing by now but I could be wrong.

janeez
8 Apr 2012 - 9:51 PM

Brother in law has come up with something.

NEWMANP
8 Apr 2012 - 10:14 PM

thank you for the pm

it seems i will repot back when i have spoken to the rspb

Phil

janeez
8 Apr 2012 - 10:26 PM

Look forward to the outcome. Grin

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 10:31 PM

My feelings are its a Jack Snipe...I spotted one on friday at another Rspb site.
I would love to know the outcome and ID Phil
Janeez is such a great help on these Id problems....She nailed my Black Redstart immediatley....Thanks AgainSmile

janeez
8 Apr 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thank you for your lovely comments (blushing now) Lawbert. I love birds and all wildlife. Hopeless at photographing them so really appreciate seeing the fantastic images on here. We do on occasion get some unusual bird species in our area. Last year when it was very cold we had a flock of Waxwings arrive, feeding on the remains of rowan tree berries. They stayed for a few days and some photographers got some fantastic shots. I could only go to see them between appointments so no chance of pics.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.