Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Walking boot insoles

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
10 Jan 2013 - 12:47 PM

I have a few pairs of walking boots, but my favourite Scarpa ones are causing me quite a lot of discomfort now Sad

I've tried Sorbothane insoles, but they feel like they're pressing up on the ball of my foot, and after 5 or so miles I'm getting a lot of pain there and in my toes.

I think I need something with a higher arch and even more padding. Does anyone have any first hand experience of others they can recommend? I was looking at the Superfeet ones, but don't really want to part with 35+ without knowing if they will help

TIA

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jan 2013 - 12:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 12:49 PM

Quote: ball of my foot

Your ball is on your foot?! Sorry....I can't resist, Bri.....TongueWinkSmileGrin

mlewis
mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 - 12:50 PM

I've got custom Superfeet insoles in my boots. They were moulded to my feet so is no uncomfortable pressing anywhere. Not the cheapest though.

Big Bri
10 Jan 2013 - 12:58 PM

To be honest, if it sorted out the problem, the money doesn't bother me. Where can you get custom ones made ?

mikehit
mikehit  56313 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 1:00 PM

I have also looked at the SuperFeet insoles and I have read very good reports of them. They are now widely available (I have seen them in YHA, Blacks, Go Outdoors) and Blacks do a custom fitting where they will measure your feet and cut the insole to suit the boot. Whether this is needed, I don't know.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 - 1:07 PM

PoundStretcher sells "Memory Foam" insoles for 99p. Although probably not what you're looking for?

ikett
ikett  3340 forum posts England
10 Jan 2013 - 1:11 PM

The other half had a similar problem, a friend reccomended a podiatrist locally, he made some custom inserts, she now says the boots are as comfy as slippers.

Can't remember if it cost 30 or 50, but well worth it.

robob
robob  101022 forum posts England
10 Jan 2013 - 1:18 PM

I would go and see a podiatrist. I have a similar problem with Plantar Fasciitis (pain inbetween heel and middle of foot) my podiatrist assesed my gait by having me walk on a pressure mat linked to a PC, this showed I was avoiding putting pressure on a certain part of my foot. He gave me off the shelf insoles. 30 for appointment and 22 for insoles. Worn them 4 years now and been through 4 pairs, I can't not wear them, so comfortable.

Last Modified By robob at 10 Jan 2013 - 1:21 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56313 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 1:21 PM

When you find insoles you like, it may be worthwhile having a pair in your everyday shoes as well. You never know, they may be the root of the problem (with the strain of hiking tipping you over the edge) and having good support between hiking trips can only benefit you.

Sylviwhalley
Sylviwhalley e2 Member 797 forum postsSylviwhalley vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 1:50 PM

I have had similar problems. I went to see my GP who refered me to a podiatrist. I had a Mortons Neuroma ( swelling of the nerve between the two toes) had a minor op to remove the nerve which was successful. Now I have Plantar Fascitis in the other foot and the Podiatrst has given me special insoles to wear which are great. No more pain!! All on the NHS.

MrGoatsmilk
10 Jan 2013 - 2:26 PM

I have had insoles custom made after a serious bike accident in 06, took a while to get the correct fitting, but after having molds made of my feet and then having the insoles tweaked they have really helped, as part of the foot is fused they help keep my foot in place and also give me better movement. The ones I have are made of a tuff plastic not soft by any means, the soft ones I tried kept failing and causing problems, but the hard ones really do help even with a bit of arthritis in the joints from the crash.

I'm now due to have some made from carbon fiber.

They were made via a Podiatrist both private and via NHS.

I would be in agony without them but thanks to the people in the know I can do a few things I would not be able to do without them.

I wear them daily in all my footware (hence the reason I use Canon, they would slip out of Nikon sandals especailly with socks)
Stu

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 10 Jan 2013 - 2:28 PM
Big Bri
10 Jan 2013 - 2:34 PM

Hey thanks for all the comments so far, very helpful and informative.
I wear trainers normally when I don't have my boots on, and have never had a problem with them.

Wonder how long it would take to get an appointment to see a podiatrist?

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122230 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 3:11 PM

I was diagnosed with flat feet after I was in such pain I could hardly walk. A podiarist had custom insoles made for me and I've never looked back. It's your best bet Brian.

Big Bri
10 Jan 2013 - 3:23 PM

Cheers everyone.

ikett
ikett  3340 forum posts England
10 Jan 2013 - 3:23 PM

Quote: Wonder how long it would take to get an appointment to see a podiatrist?

Our experience, not long 2 days, in my area they welcome private work as well as the NHS stuff.
Too few people know what the are and how they can help.

I texted the "boss" earlier, just got a reply, he charged 33 and advised that she should ask the GP for a referall, under NHS rules we are all allowed one podiatry treatment a year.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.