Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Walking boots - suggestions on good choices

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JohnParminter
10 Jun 2012 - 11:40 PM

Insoles and socks are also an important consideration. I am happy with the standard Scarpa 3mm insoles but do use two pairs of socks, a light and thin running sock which is tight to my foot then a quality walking/hiking specific sock such as Bridgedale. It is the insole and sock that provides most of the cushioning/absorbtion in the 3 or 4 season boots as they have quite a hard last and sole. Use the socks you will wear when trying the boots on.

Last Modified By JohnParminter at 10 Jun 2012 - 11:43 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jun 2012 - 11:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MeanGreeny
11 Jun 2012 - 12:12 AM

Quote: Many thanks all - certainly a good few viewpoints to consider and yes I do think it will be a case of finding a good shop with a good hour or more to spare to try things on.

MeanGreeny - interesting point about the insole inserts - its something I've never considered purchasing or using for normal walking (most times I encounter these being used its with people who have pains without using a more custom insole). I take it you use these yourself? Do you find that they really give a big gain over just the regular boot and a thick sock?

Take a pen and paper ...... or an iPad or whatever - and make a note of the makes that fit. If you visit several different stores [since they stock differing manufacturers right?] you'll start to see a pattern develop like I hinted at earlier.

The shock absorbing insoles sold separately can either make a huge difference - or you'll feel ripped off, depending on how you stand - snarf snarf Wink

Do yourself a favour, buy a decent set and see how it goes. If you feel no benefit, don't bother next time [and buy cheaper ones of similar thickness to use in the same boots] but if they suit you then it'll be money well spent. Like I said, buy them as a set - boot and insole - not separately and then try and squeeze your foot in after - wearing thinner socks.

Insoles generally come in 2 types, support/orthotic and shock absorbing [I use Sorbothane insoles for the latter - although I probably need the former more]. More google buzz words Smile

Boot manufacturers insoles are good - but not the best.

Edit: I found this - Insoles Guide

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 11 Jun 2012 - 12:14 AM
dcash29
dcash29  81887 forum posts England
11 Jun 2012 - 12:33 AM

Ive had a pair of these for over 10 years

http://www.hi-tec.com/uk/mens-altitude-iv-wp-dark-chocolate.html

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54169 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 6:03 AM

I swear by Meindl. Had 2 pairs in the last 8 years, and I do a lot of walking (but not heavy rock walking, I have to say). They're as comfy as gloves too.

Jestertheclown
11 Jun 2012 - 7:59 AM

Quote: That kind of explains why you need to replace them every six months....

That exactly explains it Bri.
My point being that regardless of their cost or supposed value, I can wreck a pair of boots pretty quickly.
Although, having said that, I did have a pair of boots like the ones Paul's linked to. They were the type worn buy troops in the Middle East and they lasted a while. They only cost me 2.00 too!

Quote: Jester, try some of these. Tongue

Thanks Cephus but I've got a pair already!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
11 Jun 2012 - 8:08 AM

I bought my Merrells as a lightweight boot just for wandering through wet fields on my lunchtime walks (try to do 3-4 miles a day during my lunch break), but they have also taken be all over the Brecon Beacons and up Snowdon. Would have preferred my Scarpas coming down the Rangers Route though, as there is a lot of loose stone to walk over and you feel every bump through them....

chasney
chasney  10138 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Jun 2012 - 8:23 AM

some very good advice here, Cotswold Outdoor gets my vote too - spent over an hour getting the most comfortable boots, including special insoles - worth it if you have any back problems etc.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 8:38 AM

Another one to try, if you can find a shop near you, is Rohan. I'm a great fan of Rohan stuff, it isn't cheap but it really does its job. I bought a pair of their leather boots when my old Gelert pair fell apart last year. They are excellent and, unlike my last leather pair years ago, nice and light.

Ian

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 9:17 AM

Quite a few suggestions being offered but the the advice that I think is coming through loud & clear is to find a good shop / outlet that will allow you to try various boots ( with socks which most good shops can provide ) and wander around.
One shop I have used previously had a construction of steps / slopes / simulated pebble & rough surfaces.

But I assume Overread already knows that, but useful information anyway Wink

AnnChown
AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 9:34 AM

You need to go and try a large number of different makes on. It's no good saying Brasher or Mindl (my favourite) are wonderful, because everybody's feet are different. Some feel comfortable, some don't.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
11 Jun 2012 - 5:14 PM

Quote: You need to go and try a large number of different makes on. It's no good saying Brasher or Mindl (my favourite) are wonderful, because everybody's feet are different. Some feel comfortable, some don't.

Isn't that what we said?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 9:04 PM

I`ve been quite tempted by these, states ankle support for load bearing Smile

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/ishop/1069/shopscr202.html

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
12 Jun 2012 - 9:19 AM

This thread is starting to remind me of 'Groundhog Day'. Smile

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41174 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 10:28 AM

Quote: I`ve been quite tempted by these, states ankle support for load bearing

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/ishop/1069/shopscr202.html

Not much ankle support there, just a cuff round the top. If you want desert boots, the new versions (Meindl and Lowa) are way better.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41174 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 10:38 AM

Meindl desert Fox or Lowa Desert Elite

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.