Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more
Can't Access your Account?
New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!
I have an interest in Old Cameras and Photo Equipment, I came across an old Light meter at a Flea Market. (I am still scratching Lol) called a Kalimar, but I am not able to find out anything about it. It dates from around the 1960s. I was wondering if anyone on Epz knows anything about this little bit of Equipment. I have tried doing a "Google" search, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about them.
Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.
might be a start. A selenium cell meter from around the the fifties or eary sixties. There are many similar makes around and can give correct readings if used properly. Rather limited by todays standard. Just Google Kalimar light meters and there is plenty of info out there.
I get the feeling that Ceri will jump in here shortly so stand by.
Think it was early American
Thanks Ken I have tried Google but there doesn't seem to be all that much about them.
As Col says it is early American and the name still soldiers on with digital.
There isn't a lot that can be said about the meter unlike camera models. Does it work, or is sticking?
Sorry I'm late - I'm redecorating my living room which has meant moving the greater part of my camera collection
'Kalimar' has been a generic brand name since the late Fifties though I can't remember at the moment which shop used it in Britain ( my first additional lens for my Pentax was a Kalimar 135mm bought from Spain for me by my brother, though that was in the mid Eighties).
If you're wondering what colour I've painted my living room it's blue... I was tempted to paint the woodwork orange to match the Agfa colours but my landlady would have a hissy fit...
Thanks again Ken It seems to be in perfect working order. The needle responds well to the light levels.
Thanks Ceri:- When you have finished practising your decorating skills, you can come and do mine. On second thought about the Agfa Orange woodwork. I think I can manage Lol. I know they used to sell quite a large range of Cameras and lenses. I found this little thing hiding on a stall at a Flea Market. and it seems to be in working order.
Thing is blue and orange was the height of Fifties chic and it would provide a great context for the hundred or so cameras (mostly Agfa) I usually have on display, as well as my new retro style sofa... the woodwork's now white but I may buy orange curtains
Kodak and Fuji pushed Agfa into the background long ago so it's easy to forget how important it was in the development of 35mm and colour photography. Agfa sold a million worldwide of its Silette model between 1953 and 1956 - not bad when you consider that the UK cost of one was the equivalent to £400 today... and Agfa had a few firsts : first coupled exposure in a 35mm camera (Silette SL) and first fully automatic exposure 35mm camera (the Optima - which sold a million in just over a year when its cost was nearer to a £500 equivalent)... I love Agfas me.
Have fun with the lightmeter you'll be surprised at how accurate it is: for front and side lit subjects a straight reflected reading will be spot on 99% of the time... it's spotting the other 1% that's difficult
Thanks again Ceri:- I first started processing my own 127 roll film way back in the late fifties and sixties. My first Dark room was under the bed doing contact prints from 2 1/4 inch square negatives, that I got from a Box Brownie. I remember when I started doing enlargements using Agfa Paper in its distinctive Orange packets. If I remember rightly, it was a grade harder that Kodak's So it gave a crisper Black and white print. But I am straying from the Thread. I will have a play with this little thing and continue my search. Thanks aagain for your help.
Back in the fifties I was a bit disgusted at the grain one got when using Kodak Plus-X processed in DK76 [I think] so I got the boss to let me use Agfa Pan F and pushed it so I could use it at 100ASA. Despite the pushing the fine grain was wonderful.
Ahh yes! those were the days.
I've read that Pan-F in the fifties was a thin-emulsion film (like Adox KB films), so I'd have thought grain wouldn't have been that better than Plus-X though it would have produced sharper negatives.
ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.
Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.
You must be a member to leave a comment
This month's sponsor
Get the latest photography news straight from ePHOTOzine in your email every month and win prizes!
30th April 2013 - 31st May 2013
Check out ePHOTOzine's inspirational photo month calendar! Each day click on a window to unveil new photography tips, treats and techniques.
View May's Photo Month Calendar