Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Warning. Beware of this supplier

mikemarita 7 35 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2007 12:14PM
I have just rerceived a new Canon G9 camera from ejrenterprise.co.uk. This company is based at 11A Moor Close Lane, Queensbury, Bradford. BD13 2NS. The website purports to be a UK supplier but my Canon G9 arrived this morning from Hong Kong. The back of the box states that it was solely for the Japanese market and that no manufacturing guarantee applies out of Japan. All of the instructions within the box were Japanese.

I have just reported this retailer to the Trading Standards Office who have agreed that it is an illegal practice and I shall be returning it to them demanding a full refund including all packaging etc expenses.

Have not been able to contact them this morning by phone.

when I ordered the camera the telephone service I received from the chap at the other end was superb! It just goes to show!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder 10 7.2k England
11 Oct 2007 12:19PM
Just tried to look them up, Google turns up a blank
stevekhart 8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2007 12:22PM
JYBluesman 7 97
11 Oct 2007 12:23PM
So many use this trick on ebay, Trading Standards AND ebay need to sort out this practice. Jeff
11 Oct 2007 12:32PM
From their about us page

Quote:All our products are sourced direct from our Hong Kong agent and feel that a reliable service is maintained along with competitive pricing. We are not liable for import taxes applied to imported items.

These items are not UK specification models and most come complete with 12 months International warranties. Items without International warranty are valid with ourselves for 12 months manufacture guarantee. We are always happy to help whther before or after the purchase. Be confident buying from a UK selling agent.

And from the checkout page

Quote:Tax Charges Import VAT is currently not included in the price. We are not liable for these charges as stated in our "About Us" page. The import tax is calculated at the manufactures rate of value for the unit and not our total price on the website. Our delivery courier collects the funds upon delivery

Don't think you have been done, you just totally failed to do even the basic checks before buying.

Sorry, but any fault is down to you.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2007 12:33PM

Quote:All our products are sourced direct from our Hong Kong agent and feel that a reliable service is maintained along with competitive pricing. We are not liable for import taxes applied to imported items.

These items are not UK specification models and most come complete with 12 months International warranties. Items without International warranty are valid with ourselves for 12 months manufacture guarantee. We are always happy to help whther before or after the purchase. Be confident buying from a UK selling agent.

I should read this from the site, carefully.
Ken
11 Oct 2007 12:57PM
i did actually read the frequently asked questions and did not see anything there that indicated to me that this is what I receive. I do accept that I did not read the about us bit which is unusual. I have been told that I can return the goods under the distance selling Act within 7 days for a full refund of the cost of the camera only. If I can get some english instructions from somewher I might be best off putting it down to experience as it was a present for my wife to take to the USA next week.
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
11 Oct 2007 1:06PM
Did you pay VAT when they delivered it to you ?
11 Oct 2007 1:08PM
Also from their checkout page.

Quote:Your rights to return goods are protected under the EU Distance Selling Directive which can be found at http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002334.htm

So it looks like they will accept your return. Having a grey import is not a disaster, but not having a (readable) user manual is a big issue.
JYBluesman 7 97
11 Oct 2007 1:10PM
Ah - not so bad if they actually state they are from Hong Hong, many of the sellers do not. You could probably download a PDF manual from the web, I did with my Canon S5 as the instruction only came in Japanese. Jeff
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2007 1:16PM
You can indeed download from the Web. Try this
Ken
11 Oct 2007 2:34PM
The choice is yours!
11 Oct 2007 3:22PM
Thanks for all of this feedback. Just to update you. I contacted Canon customer services at head office. I explained what had happened and was informed that this is a regular occurrence. They stated that picmania? send all their manuals etc out in french and that they receive a lot of enquiries in respect of them. I was then given the name R. Scott Associates and a telephone number of 01869 331741. I called them and as long as I had purchased the camera from a UK based retaier and that the purchase was very recent I gave then the serial number of the camera and I am being sent out english manuals and disk. So all is OK in the end. Luckily my wife does not know what an experience I have just had. Thanks again everyone. So my purchase for 291 including postage not bad after all!
peter shilton 10 1.1k England
11 Oct 2007 6:13PM
Just the VAT to pay then.
Britman 8 1.7k England
11 Oct 2007 8:24PM
yep, youe courier will send you an invoice. probably sat in some sorting office gathering bust while the posties have a holiday.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.