Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Warning...Computer virus...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

HJKeithW
HJKeithW  559 forum posts New Zealand
10 Nov 2012 - 12:37 AM

Any GOOD antivirus such as Kaspersky will deal with any viruses or malware that attack you. Mind you, as with everything else, you get what you pay for, free antivirus programs are useless

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Nov 2012 - 12:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
10 Nov 2012 - 7:46 AM

Quote: Any GOOD antivirus such as Kaspersky will deal with any viruses or malware that attack you

True, but the being made here is that these "pass it on" emails do not contain a virus. also there are no viruses about that contaminate your PC by just opening an email

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 8:51 AM

Quote: free antivirus programs are useless

Hogswash.......

I've been using the free version of Avast for years on several machines at the same time and only even been infected once and that was through my own stupidity whilst trying to find a specific file on some warez sites. Used with in conjunction with a good Malware/Spyware blocker most free antivirus programs are perfectly capable of protecting you from any nasties. If your prepared to pay for bloatware more fool you!

In a recent test in WebUser magazine, free versions of AVG, Trend and even Microsoft Essentials out performed the likes of Norton and the ever so bloated machine perfomance sapping McAfee hands down.

AdeSmile

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 10 Nov 2012 - 8:52 AM
HJKeithW
HJKeithW  559 forum posts New Zealand
10 Nov 2012 - 9:22 PM

Taupo is an international adventure tourism destination here in NZ. My son is a computer technician and for some time was the IT guy at one of our large internet cafes. He had to deal on a very regular basis with infected CF cards, SD cards, USB flash drives, infected laptops etc. He used every available antivirus to find the most effective to install on all the computers there. Norton and McAfee did a good job but he found that Kaspersky which is fairly inexpensive and unobtrusive proved the best for his purpose. He found that programs like AVG and Avast did NOT pick up all the viruses and malware that presented . At home we run a LAN and use Kaspersky and have never had any problems.

I am going on our actual experience over years since the days of Win3.1

Jestertheclown
10 Nov 2012 - 10:06 PM

Quote: free antivirus programs are useless

In your opinion.

We used Kaspersky at a school where I used to work and it was open season for malware, so our 'technician' switched to Mcafee, which wasn't much better.
Finally they installed AVG free edition and things improved dramatically.

KevSB
KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 10:16 PM

The free ones are so well used that they will alway be updated on a regular basis, avg is used by nearly everyone I know and as yet have heard not one complaint, kapersky from what I've read is not highly rated at all.
In fact most who have used it received it as part of a package deal on a computer and ditched it early on. That appears borne out by the replys above

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 11:53 PM

I do think many of the free AV packages are good, and AVG gets good reports but I am intrigued by the comments on Kaspersky as it tends to get better reports. Have a look here for a respected AV tester. Regardless as long as you use a good AV product, and AVG is a good one you should be OK. Where the paid ones tend to do better is the repair aspect.

I have to confess I uses Kaspersky, and despite a few attempts by users of the PC I can report it has worked well and trapped a few EMAILS coming in and also blocked some dodgy internet attempts at download. Any was as ever it is for people to try out the various review sites and pick what suits them.

Last Modified By strawman at 10 Nov 2012 - 11:54 PM
Jestertheclown
11 Nov 2012 - 12:01 AM

You'll find a site somewhere that will recommend even the most ineffective AV if you look hard enough.

I find that the best recommendations are word of mouth and personal experience.

User_Removed
11 Nov 2012 - 12:15 AM

Recommendations are pretty meaningless. There's no AV that can protect against all viruses. It's pot luck whether the program you use knows about the virus that tries to infect your machine. Might as well use a free one but prevention being better than cure learn how to avoid them in the first place. So many people are tricked into opening viruses due to the promise of free this or free that.

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2012 - 12:25 AM

I went to that site as they are an independent industry standard, and more reliable than word of mouth. Have a look at the test result. Also a number of the magazines use them for the facts. Here is another test site that is independent that compares products, and again Kaspersky comes out better. As I said its not that AVG is bad and its a lot better than nothing and great for free.

Amongst the people I know Kaspersky gets a good report , but its like everything, do some research and pick what you like. Also like finance, past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

As chris say the trick emails catch you out, I nearly opened one this week as it claimed to be from an airline with my e-tickets in a password protected zip file. As I contemplated opening the file I thought hang on that's new, did a search on the mail path and it turned out to be fake. As ever they had lucked out I was flying with that airline this week, a bit like the bank ones that hope some people will bank with that company and so open the file....

Last Modified By strawman at 11 Nov 2012 - 12:28 AM
779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Nov 2012 - 5:39 AM

I think Chris has hit the nail on the head, the AV software doesn't matter to much it's more about being sensible as a user. I wasn't sure what I was running until I read this thread and had a look. It's AGV, I don't do anything with it, I guess it scans and updates by itself. I'm pretty careful with email, Facebook and Twitter but pretty reckless at times on the net and seem, touch wood, to not have had a virus for about 8, 10 years.

Quote: claimed to be from an airline with my e-tickets in a password protected zip file.

I got that one too, I hadn't booked any tickets so knew it was crap. The funny thing is I got that at work, an FE/HE college, where internet security is, in the words of a external network engineer not that long ago, better than many banks.

coliwolii
coliwolii  469 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Nov 2012 - 6:30 AM

Going back to the original post.

My role in life (sadly) is to monitor communications traffic around the world.

The virus (if indeed there is one) is well know to the coms/ip/it companies and it is caused by the people forwarding on the hoax warning. This slows down communications, servers etc. and can cause a lot more damage than some may expect. It can, if used in certain contexts be considered commercial espionage. Indeed the forwarding of these "warnings" is exactly what the originator of the hoax wants you to do and it does the damage no matter what virus protection you have, as the attack is not directed at your computer it is an attack on the network!

Joe Public is widley unaware of this but realistically the worst thing you can do is forward on the warning. Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.