Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Warning about Ilford XP2 Super processing.

pentaxpete 9 523 1 England
26 Nov 2010 12:25PM
If any here are doing their own Ilford XP2 Super ( or, indeed the FUJI equivalent. made by Ilford in UK ) then do NOT give a 'pre-soak' in warm water to help bring up the temperature to 100oF, as I have had two lots of reticulation of the gelatine backing layer on both the Ilford and Fuji films. It's NOT in the emulsion layer as such, but on the backing ( shiny side) of the film -- it does NOT seem to print luckily, as yesterday I printed some in my darkroom to 16x12" and the reticulation did not show-- I was using a 'diffuser' enlarger however, the LPL C7700 Pro. When I pour in the warm developer at about 105oF, without a water pre-soak, it stabilises at 100oF and there is NO reticulation effect.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
26 Nov 2010 4:18PM
I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about warm water for the pre-soak. If you are talking about water at the processing temperature, it isn't clear to me why it would cause a problem. If you're talking about a temperature higher than that, I'm not sure why you would want to do it? (searches for puzzled smiley!)
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
26 Nov 2010 5:51PM
When I was using xp2 on a regular basis (approx 15 years ago) I stuck to the instructions & processed it at 38C (I never got the hang of using old fashioned Fahrenheit).
I cannot remember the instructions saying any thing about pre soaking.
pentaxpete 9 523 1 England
27 Nov 2010 2:03PM
Yes : I tried a pre-soak at 105oF to get the tank+film up to temperature as I had read in some other 'Forums' -- but no wonder the instructions never said anything about 'pre-soaking' as that is what caused the reticulation. I sent a sample of reticulated 120 XP2 Super to Ilford and the young lady there sent me a letter all about XP2 processing and a free 35mm XP2Super film.
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
27 Nov 2010 2:27PM
105 deg sounds a bit high. All films in my day were processed at 68 deg. Could this be the problem?
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
27 Nov 2010 2:45PM

Quote:105 deg sounds a bit high. All films in my day were processed at 68 deg. Could this be the problem?

XP2 is a chromogenic film that uses the C41 (colour) process at higher temperature (38C/100F) than standard b&w processing.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.