Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Warp speed - here we come! ;-)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 12:35 AM

Looks like we may be able to exceed the speed of light after all! Article.

Beam me up Scotty! Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Sep 2011 - 12:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 1:29 AM

Ah you beat me to it CB. I came here to break the happy news. What are you - a neutrino or something?

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 5:36 AM

Let's wait until the results have been independently verified and repeated. Typical of the media to jump the gun...

Last Modified By joolsb at 23 Sep 2011 - 5:37 AM
sitan1
sitan1  6471 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Sep 2011 - 7:18 AM

Perhaps they used the wrong amp fuse, that always causes problems Wink

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 7:20 AM

Spot on Jools, here's a quote from the scientist involved:

Quote: "My dream would be that another, independent experiment finds the same thing - then I would be relieved," Dr Ereditato said.

But for now, he explained, "we are not claiming things, we want just to be helped by the community in understanding our crazy result - because it is crazy".

"And of course the consequences can be very serious."

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022904 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 7:31 AM

Well said.

I can't get my neutrinos to exceed 50mph.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 8:12 AM

Perhaps Nikon are already utilising this new discovery.

If I have read it correctly Nikon are claiming that their new cameras start taking the shot before you press the shutter button. !

Andy_Cundell
23 Sep 2011 - 8:16 AM

My scientific beliefs say if we travel faster than the speed of light we will travel back in time!

If your stood looking at a clock on a wall, you are seeing the reflections of light from that clock. Now, say you started to travel away from the clock and you could still see the clock face, when you start to travel faster than the speed of light, you would overtake those reflections effectivly seeing the reflections of light go back wards!

Only my opinion though!

Andy

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 8:28 AM

Quote: If I have read it correctly Nikon are claiming that their new cameras start taking the shot before you press the shutter button. !

I'm sure I have seen a similar thing on nature documentaries where the camera is basically recording all the time but when you press the record button it remembers the stuff from a couple of seconds before as well as during the time you press the button. Now that is a handy thing indeed.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 8:36 AM

Quote: Neutrinos are quick but they arenít a patch on the Chav particle, this particle regularly exceeds the speed of light when the Benefit Office opens up or Lidls have a 2 for 1 offer on super strength lager. Even more astonishing are the repel speeds that the particle can reach if the host is offered any form of work. Amazing eh ??

My favourite comment on the article. Smile

If the experiment is repeatable and can be independently corroborated it is likely to hail a new era in discoveries and have some massive implications, albeit probably not in the next couple of years.

Just imagine how excited they must be, all credit to them for keeping their feet on the ground.

Ian

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 9:22 AM

Quote: My scientific beliefs say if we travel faster than the speed of light we will travel back in time!

If your stood looking at a clock on a wall, you are seeing the reflections of light from that clock. Now, say you started to travel away from the clock and you could still see the clock face, when you start to travel faster than the speed of light, you would overtake those reflections effectivly seeing the reflections of light go back wards!

Nah that's your perception of time because looking in the other direction at a similar clock you would see the clock face spin ever faster, your own local time would of course stay static and if you travelled back towards the original your perception of the clocks local time would change.

also its not warp drive as it give the hope of travelling faster than light but warp to me implies you were able to fold space and travel in a different path/dimension.

any one that says it a "timey wimey thing" gets smacked.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 9:26 AM

Quote: If I have read it correctly Nikon are claiming that their new cameras start taking the shot before you press the shutter button. !

Digital oscilloscopes have been doing that for some time, it just means you system is always recording data and when you reach an agreed trigger event (press the shutter/see smile) it records some of historic data recordings that are in the temporary buffer. Just like pause and rewind TV on a digital TV recorder.

just worked out my freeview box can do time travel.

Having theorised that time travel is possible within my own life time I will now step into my quantum digi box and travel. next stop Dukes of Hazard, the original series, just how short were those short's worn by Daisy Duke. This is the sort of thing many scientists would love to know the answer to, they are just too afraid to ask.

Last Modified By strawman at 23 Sep 2011 - 9:30 AM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 10:10 AM

Quote: I can't get my neutrinos to exceed 50mph.

Crikey Keith, Yours are going that fast......Grin

Time I changed the rubber band on mine then.....Smile

That said it could be the wicker seating, Its not as aerodynamic as crushed velour.....?

Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 2:58 PM

Well I think we should all be very excited about it.............. Alpha Centauri, here we come! Grin

scrimmy
scrimmy e2 Member 5365 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 4:45 PM

i can't cope with the speed of life as it is Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.