Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

warranties

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Feb 2013 8:08PM
I purchased a Sigma lens last year, it was clearly stated that it came with a three year warranty.

A friend told me yesterday that it is in fact a one year warranty extended to three years if you register on line.

I`ve just been along to register, but it states this has to be done within the first thirty days, you also have to include the box bar code number from the side of the box, the box is long gone Smile

What a con Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
7 Feb 2013 8:12PM
Nikon do a similar deal with their new cameras, or at least, they did with mine.

It came with a twelve month warranty, extending to twenty four, once I registered it online.

Which I did the day that I bought it.

No such deal on the new lens I've just bought though.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Feb 2013 8:19PM
If it clearly states a two/three year warranty, then it should be a two/three year warranty without any catches and tricks.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
7 Feb 2013 8:22PM
Oh, I see what you mean Paul.

Yes. If, somewhere, it states a given period, then surely that ought to be binding.
EG e2
5 22 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 8:24PM
I bought a sigma lens online and tried to register for a warranty extension as offered but they told me
The lens was not uk stock and didn't qualify.
Ed
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Feb 2013 8:25PM
The Olympus warranty has always been two year as far back as I can remember, without the need to have to claim anything online, maybe I`ve just been spoilt for too long Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Feb 2013 8:26PM

Quote:I bought a sigma lens online and tried to register for a warranty extension as offered but they told me
The lens was not uk stock and didn't qualify

That bits fair enough.
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
7 Feb 2013 8:27PM
Its a 3year extended warranty if you fill in the paperwork.

HOWEVER far as I know there are some consumer laws that protect you beyond a year anyway so half the time the extended warranties are just a paperchain/extra earner for them.

I suspect even if you don't have it if you have a clear manufacture (and not a user error/accident) problem you can get the cover/fix.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Feb 2013 8:33PM

Quote:Its a 3year extended warranty if you fill in the paperwork

So I`ve now been told, how are you supposed to know these things if they don`t tell you.

Guess I`ll be giving them a call tomorrow.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
7 Feb 2013 8:43PM
Grays give a warranty that's a year longer than standard and it's longer still for subscribers to Nikon owner magazine.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Feb 2013 8:57PM

Quote:Grays give a warranty that's a year longer than standard

But that's not a manufactures standard warranty.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.