Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Warranty

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ringyneck
    ringyneck  7293 forum posts United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hi - I am about to change to Canon with a 7d and 400mm and was told it was only a 1 year warranty by Wex so phoned Canon and at 1st she did not know then said 1year - but she was off-shore so thought I would see if some proper experts know.
    Any idea?
    Keith

p.s. Also are items from Flash Camera grey imports and do they have a warranty at all.

Last Modified By ringyneck at 23 Oct 2012 - 11:31 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Oct 2012 - 11:26 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    23 Oct 2012 - 11:50 AM

As far as I was aware, all purchased item now have a warranty of two years according to the European trading laws.
    However, I may be completely off track so please don't take this as gospel and I'm sure someone will be along soon to help further.
    I would also be interested to know.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 23 Oct 2012 - 11:52 AM
    ringyneck
    23 Oct 2012 - 11:57 AM

Well another member at work who has had canon in the past said 2 years...it must have just been the Wex only one they were on about.
    Keith

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2012 - 12:26 PM

Manufacturer warranty is commonly 1 year, but you will find the European trading laws mandate 2 years for a manufacturing flaw, but that I believe is with the vendor and one of those grey areas.

ringyneck
    23 Oct 2012 - 12:45 PM

Thanks

Keith

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2012 - 12:48 PM

If it was purchased in the UK then I believe this is the relevant item. I believe you have a contract with the vendor and if it says 1 year then it is 1 year. You then enter the grey area of fair life and wear and tear. If it has not been subjected to abuse and could be expected to work for say 5 years (a camera is a good example), then if it failed in year 2 you would have a reasonable case against the supplier. But you would have to show it had been treated fairly and was not subject to wear and tear....

Not an expert though. My two experiences of this, once with a Canon camera, and once with a car, was that a reasoned discussion with the supplier resulted in repairs in year 2 without me paying. Not certain of the exact legal situation. In each case the seller offered to make a repair without charge and I accepted. I did not try the "its the law" argument.

Last Modified By strawman at 23 Oct 2012 - 12:50 PM
    KevSB
    KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2012 - 12:56 PM

1 year in the uk under the sale of goods act which is the rulebook for warrentees, , I tried to get my 13 month 5dmk2 fixed under warrenty and was refused.

Altho it has been argued with some retailers that the euro rule applies and to save argumet they have accepted it but are under no obligation to do so.

You may manage to get your refund on the basis of the EU directive, however, shops are within their rights to use the Sale of Goods Act as the definitive guideline instead. http://www.metro.co.uk/news/679651-two-year-warranty-eu-law

Last Modified By KevSB at 23 Oct 2012 - 12:57 PM
    Snapster
    Snapster e2 Member 1100 forum postsSnapster vcard England
    23 Oct 2012 - 8:37 PM

I got a wide screen T.V repaired FOC when it was 2 years old.
    There is a limitations act which states that goods should last for a reasonable length of time irrespective of warranty.
    Friend advised me after looking at moneysavingexpert.com

ringyneck
    23 Oct 2012 - 9:39 PM

Thanks - some good info and laws for me to digest.

Keith

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    28 Oct 2012 - 9:43 AM

What a lot of people do not know is with most faults that develop within 6 months the buyer is entitled to a refund or exchange from a UK retailer.
    If a fault develops up to 6 years from purchase the buyer is entitled to a repair or contribution to a repair from a UK retailer if the camera or lens does not last a reasonable period. What is reasonable depends in part on quality and usage but if Canon refuse to repair a pro body with light use 13 months after purchase - go for the retailer.
    Some cheaper sources are based overseas and the transaction does not take place in the UK so you are not entitled to the same level of protection.
    A manufactures warranty is not a legal requirement - even though it is normall the first port of call.
    If you buy pro gear from Calumet they will sell you an extended warranty at a low price right up to the epiry of the manufacturers warranty.

steve_p
    steve_p  81073 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Oct 2012 - 11:50 AM

I've just seen this thread, the original post asked about Flash Camera. He is based in Scotland but gets his supplies from the USA. His FAQs included warranty details saying that the warranty is valid in the UK and Europe.

ringyneck
    28 Oct 2012 - 11:55 AM

Thanks again everyone......as I said some very interesting views and as usual I have learnt a lot.Will save and keep these for reference.
    STEVE...thanks...I WAS going to get my stuff from Kerso(flashcamera) but he was out of stock with both the Camera and lens...I went with Wex instead and got a great deal with superb service.

Keith

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.