Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wasted talent

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: a good time to lock and collate what we have
strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 4:41 PM

One thing that helped motivate me recently, not on site but in a mag, was seeing a body of work developing a theme. For example advanced Photographer and the work of one photographer on panoramas which were more than just landscapes, and to be honest it was fun having a go myself. Is there a way of doing that, like the topics of the day, but less frequent and more in-depth where a member of the site picks a topic to get people started.

But perhaps that is just what you envisaged groups for.

P.S Do not get too downhearted as such topics always generate a lot of negative feedback.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

simont
simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points

Quote: Which is why I wonder why I bothered to come back and comment here....

It was meant as a genuine question!

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points

i dont see it as an elite gallery, just a progression from being a beginner.
and i sure would not want to keep out of the main gallery to assist and bring on others where possible.

my concern is that you have masters lost among endless shots many of which are not really hobby photography at all. a good many of which are uploaded by newcomers who are never seen again
Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 20 Dec 2010 - 4:43 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 4:42 PM

Quote: So if you are in "The Higher League Gallery" and the qualitity of you images falls, can you be religated back "The Lower League Gallery" along with the rest of us?

And then spit your dummy out and flounce off?

Quote: Which is why I wonder why I bothered to come back and comment here....

It's a valid point and does need consideration. A long time ago (2003ish) there was a pro on site who I respected, and I would have placed in the highest bracket on our site, and then over a number of years the quality started to fall, and the amount of average pictures clicked on and commented on increased. That person turned from being among the best to quite poor. What would happen to them?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315211 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 4:42 PM

Quote: But would you "waste time" in the regular gallery when you could be gaining from the new gallery?

Apart from an even bigger ego, what else would there be to gain.

Geraint
Geraint  7715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 4:46 PM

Quote: That person turned from being among the best to quite poor. What would happen to them?

Then I don't see any reason why that person can't be 'relegated'. The purpose would be to uphold artistic or technical merits. I don't see this as anything to do with egos. I see it as a way for people to continue learning.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 4:47 PM

I do believe there's something it just needs careful thought. Many of the suggestions so far have excellent positive aspects but equally come with elements that would have a huge negative impact. Ideally we need something that has little negative impact. I'm not even sure that's possible but happy to bounce the ideas around no matter how off the wall.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 4:51 PM

Quote: Many of the suggestions so far have excellent positive aspects but equally come with elements that would have a huge negative impact. Ideally we need something that has little negative impact.

It depends on how you position and communicate it. e.g is the Bottle half full or half empty Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 4:53 PM

2 tiers eh?

Geraint - How about trialling it by creating an invite-only group and inviting people you'd like to see in an elite group? Explain to them what you're doing and why and I'm sure people will join in.

Actually... can others "see" groups they're no a member of? If they can't, this will not work.

Just an idea - but it's essentially doing (nearly) exactly what you're on about..

Up for it? Smile

Pete
20 Dec 2010 - 4:53 PM

Quote: It depends on how you position and communicate it. e.g is the Bottle half full or half empty

Well I hope you know on ePHOTOzine my glass has usually been full and over-brimming...but it soon gets emptied! I've always been quick to refill but after a while...

Geraint
Geraint  7715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 4:55 PM

Ade, I think it needs to be separate from the groups - more radical. Many members it seems don't buy into the groups as it stands.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 4:56 PM

I'll just add....

if you can't be bothered sending out invites, you can create a "moderated" group where people apply to join, but you can turn them down or accept them.... a more risky path I'd say, if you turn people down, you'll have an unhappy bunny to deal with!

theorderingone
20 Dec 2010 - 4:56 PM

For me there's a few things that reduce my motivation to contribute, besides me having very little spare time these days. The main ones being:

- Often when I try to help, either in the forums, or in the galleries, my suggestions are ignored or I get flamed for making them. I find the general rule of thumb is that people ignore feedback that isn't positive and ignore advice that isn't waht they wanted to hear in the first place.

- When I post images of my own I know their popularity and quality of comments will largely be dictated by the subject matter, rather than photographic merit.

I suppose these are human nature and there isn't much you can do about it. I do still contribute to threads where I think I can help when I have the time.

ade_mcfade
20 Dec 2010 - 4:57 PM

Quote: Ade, I think it needs to be separate from the groups - more radical. Many members it seems don't buy into the groups as it stands.

I'm not saying this is a solution, rather a "test", an experiment to see whether your idea would work.

Nothing to lose by doing it

Pete
20 Dec 2010 - 5:21 PM

Quote: Geraint - How about trialling it by creating an invite-only group and inviting people you'd like to see in an elite group? Explain to them what you're doing and why and I'm sure people will join in.

It's a great idea, but with my already half emptied glass I can see it won't become busy and useful unless the person who starts it does a fair bit of work to get it going. The motivation needs to be there.
Steve Hart one of our better fashion pros had the same issue earlier in the year. So I suggested he started a group. He did (in the members area at the time) and did do a bit of work to get it going but the results didn't come quick enough so I guess he gave up.
I suspect a new "elite" gallery may go the same way. What we had in the old days was a group of people (who many can remember) who did have the time to spend nurturing newbies while enjoying their own efforts. We don't seem to have that mentality these days, but we do have the space, opportunities to create whatever is required. We just need to be sure it has an overall positive not negative impact which seems to be the way the groups have been received. having said that a few groups are doing really well. But it does rely on having leaders with passion.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: a good time to lock and collate what we have