Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wasted talent

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: a good time to lock and collate what we have
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014843 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 5:31 PM

Quote: But it does rely on having leaders with passion.

Yeah - this is it really, you can lead a horse to water..... etc.

When I was "working" at HBOS I had lots of time to avoid work (and thereby ensure I was top of the list for voluntary redundancy) by pushing groups and threads, and they are rewarding when you get people going.

But it's like pushing a rock up hill - if you stop and have a rest, it tends to roll back to the bottom and you need to start over again. Momentum's best maintained by regular input, even when you end up posting shots from 4 years ago as I did!

I'd start an "Elite EPZ User Group", but it's not really my idea - but I really think it's worth doing if someone wants to give it a go. If by some fluke I got invited, I'd even upload a few shots Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Dec 2010 - 5:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 5:36 PM

should stop considering the idea an elite gallery, the only qualification need be good club level.

the bar should be lower than is being suggested but high enough to create a divide between keen hobbyists and first time and only time uploaders

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014930 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 5:39 PM

I think Pete is finally beginning to see the pitfalls of making changes that have a tendancy to devide the membership up into groups. It might satisfy a few egos, but the damage it will do to the rest of the membership would be devastating...for what? a little more sauce for some to help sell their photos. So much of what this site used to be about is gone, and replaced by a drive by a few to push things more toward professionalism, which, frankly, turns many of us off.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014843 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 5:39 PM

Do we have our volunteer to start a group Wink

Go on Phil, you know it make sense

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 5:44 PM

i dont like the idea with the groups, i was in there early as you know, and even maybe before, but it didnt seem to work in practice the way i had in mind. i dont want to take groups away to a secret place thats hard to find.

ill talk to you later about it Ade, i recon something would be possible but i still have views on this that are far from egotistical
Phil

_
_  9535 forum posts Virgin Islands, British4 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 5:50 PM

Here's where I'm at with this site;
I tend to write a few crits for obviously flawed shots in the hope that it gives some encouragement to the snappers concerned. The obviously good shots might get a well done from me, but in general I'll leave them to pick up their plaudits from others who are obviously in awe of their work or just sucking up to the good guy/gal.
I try to upload a selection of shots representative of what I'm doing most of, be it dogs, pheasants, shoots or whatever. Most of these shots will be of a highish standard but only a few will be what I would put forward to any photo editor. The main reason I keep uploading photos in the gallery is to give anyone I write a crit for an idea of how I would put into practice what I am preaching.
An elite gallery would not interest me in the slightest. Nice to have a look at to gauge where trends are going, but what would be so different between this gallery and the Eds picks gallery that is running art the moment?

Editorial content is where I would find an interest. I do realise however that in order for it to be decent enough to keep me interested you would really need to be getting some good journalists to write it and this doesn't come cheap.

For me this site's strength is in its forums; good fun, lightly sprinkled with a bit of niggle and some knowledge mixed with the polarised views of many. It's a million miles away from looking at photos, but at the end of the day the last thing I really want to be looking at is more photos.

ade_mcfade
20 Dec 2010 - 5:52 PM

Quote: but it didnt seem to work in practice the way i had in mind

ok - this is what we need to sort out to get them working better.

What did you have in mind?

What's different?

What would you change to make them better?

This "hidden away" comment has come up a few times before, I view it totally differently though - I upload shots to groups that are relevent to that group. I don't "hide" them from the main gallery, in fact, 90% or more of what I put in groups is from my previous gallery uploads.

I've never under stood the "hidden away" thing, so could you elaborate a little - am I really being stupid and missing the whole point?

Just that you've been a really active and enthusiastic member joining in many a daft crusade of mine, and if you're not sold on groups, we're missing a trick.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 6:01 PM

So is there a consensus that itís a distinction of photographic ability thatís required on the site?

It seems the thread is heading that way but from earlier comments it seemed that photographic ability was merely one of the symptoms of the way that different people use the site, if so all we'd be doing is shoving a sticky plaster over a leg break

NEWMANP
20 Dec 2010 - 6:06 PM

Ade,

i like to think im still a keen member, i dont miss many days. Smile ill condider the position on groups in depth and come back maybe on pm. ive enjoyed some of the crusades too Wink

i didnt mean anything deep about the hidden aspects of the groups, i may be steady but i had difficulty early on even finding the groups i was in, especially when it was through meetings pages. also you may start a group with creative work only to find after 2 uploads we were back to pictures of roses in the garden.

what id really like to see is not an elite gallery, but a break point which has to be crossed to get into the main gallery.
i feel quite strong that the site is a place for good club level photographers. it is also a place for beginners too and we do need to encourage and nurture others with less experience. (not so egotistical as others suggest)

i think i want to be able to filter and just look at serious work one minute and later just look at beginners work without mixing them up too much.

i would like to see a basic gallery where all new recruits of all abilites are entered and where the real beginners can develop before moving into the the actual gallery. the main reason is that many upload once and are gone. even a qualification period would do but would be less desirable.

Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 20 Dec 2010 - 6:10 PM
ade_mcfade
20 Dec 2010 - 6:16 PM

Quote: also you may start a group with creative work only to find after 2 uploads we were back to pictures of roses in the garden.

Fair point

There is a way you can police this as a leader though - all photos can be deleted by the leader, so if you started a group and the wrong kind of shots appear, you can delete them to keep the group pure.

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81105 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 6:18 PM

Quote: So for those who are hanging on in there, those who watch from a distance these days and those who have overcome their issues and found a solution. I'd like your views. What can we do?

Simple .

Just add two compulsory boxes when you upload.

1. For discussion , technical, emotive , equipment , technique etc.

2. Just for fun.

(keep the mod and crit gallery thingy)

End of elitism , allow the voting system to balance itself , and for Pete to read the comments on images before deciding.

erm , just a blue sky idea

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 6:37 PM

Quote: there is a way you can police this as a leader though - all photos can be deleted by the leader, so if you started a group and the wrong kind of shots appear, you can delete them to keep the group pure.

Is that so? Where does it tell you this? I looked around for some information on groups and did not find anything like this explained. Now that could solve some of my concerns, though deleting someones image if you let it pass for a couple of hours whilst working could throw the whole thread out of kilter as there may also be comments relating to it.

ade_mcfade
20 Dec 2010 - 7:04 PM

you know how to delete a photo of your own from a group?

There's a red "X" there on the same level as the title

Well if you are group creator, that appears on all shots.

I'm not sure about forum entries though - you're right, that would make the forum flow a bit wierd.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2010 - 7:06 PM

No I don't know as I have not posted any images in a group, but presume it is similar to the delete option on a forum post. Interesting, but seriously where is it documented?

ade_mcfade
20 Dec 2010 - 7:12 PM

I never have seen it documented - but when I deleted one of my shots from a group, I got a PM telling me the group leader had deleted a shot.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: a good time to lock and collate what we have