Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Watermarking photos

6 Apr 2014 11:08PM
Hi

Can anyone recommend a site to add a watermark to photos?

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mervyntattoo 5 220 Wales
7 Apr 2014 9:31AM
Why? You own copyright anyway. When voting in competitions I never vote for one with a watermark, I'm not alone. Some competitions don't allow them.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
7 Apr 2014 9:35AM
If you Google 'add a watermark in.......' And then add your choice of imaging software, you'll find plenty of tutorials.
Evertonian 1 544 England
7 Apr 2014 11:27AM
Why deface a picture? When it is shown under your name we all know who produced it.
7 Apr 2014 11:44AM
Wow such varied responses but thank you all for your comments. I have Googled this many a time however I am not sure which one to go with hence my asking for one that you may have used and could recommend using on a Mac Book Pro.

I want to put a very small watermark in the corner of my photos as I don't want anyone viewing my website to download and use the photos, passing them off as their own. Its a little bit like an artist putting their signature in the right hand corner of a painting. That is all.

I'll continue to Google.

Thanks
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
7 Apr 2014 11:57AM
Be aware that it takes only a matter of seconds for anyone using image editing software (CS6, et al) to completely remove any trace of a watermark using the content aware tool.
A watermark is absolutely no protection.

Malc
7 Apr 2014 11:59AM
HI Malc

Thank you for that, very wise words.
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
7 Apr 2014 12:38PM
If you don't want your picture to be downloaded by anyone, the answer is simple. Don't upload it anywhere.
teabelly 4 32 England
7 Apr 2014 2:14PM
Hi PeachesMum,

I have created a little "Action" that I made in Photoshop, I use it on a regular basis.

1.Create New blank layer
2.Use the Type tool in White to type your copyright
3 Make the type bevelled and set the blend mode to lighten about 30% normally does it for me

If you save this as an action it helps quickly repeat it on other photographs.

Teabelly
8 Apr 2014 8:55AM
Hi Teabelly

That sounds great, thank you but I don't have photoshop!
DalesLass e2
3 2.2k United Kingdom
8 Apr 2014 11:13AM
Do you have Lightroom - you can add a watermark when you export if you do.

Jude
8 Apr 2014 2:32PM
watermark is very important because is one of the safest ways for you to keep the authorship of the photo.
Evertonian 1 544 England
9 Apr 2014 2:54PM

Quote:Watermark is very important because is one of the safest ways for you to keep the authorship of the photo.

But it is not the safest!!!! it is not even safe. The way to get and keep authorship forever is, take a photograph. The authorship and copyright are automatically yours.

Looking at your portfolio, I notice that you do not use them anyway!!!!
kapongola 3 1 Tanzania
23 Jun 2014 12:17AM
Hello Peachsmum,

If you have a Mac, checkout for iwatermark

There is a great tutorial here http://laycockdesigns.com/watermarks/iwatermark-tutorial/

all the best
MrDennis 5 247 Wales
5 Nov 2014 11:55PM
Best to Watermark if it is on your site. That way, if anyone does download and use by taking out the watermark, you'll have proof that one WAS originally there. Best to do for your own site since the change in Photographers rights in the UK.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.