Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Watermarks

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brrttpaul
brrttpaul  3203 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 - 5:26 PM

Hi guys/gals,
I was browsing various pictures on the web (groups to join etc) and a lot of them have a watermark but when I put a watermarked photo on here last year it was heavily criticised so i threw the watermark idea out of the window (it was bad mind lol). I,m sure I was told that watermarks are easy to get rid of etc etc so why bother?. After looking at some of the photo,s I was thinking maybe I should watermark mine but if they that easy to get rid of is there any point?.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Mar 2013 - 5:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 5:44 PM

I look at most watermarks on EPZ and either laugh, giggle or walk on by.

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 6:04 PM

A watermark will not stop people pinching your images

llareggub
llareggub  4698 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 - 6:10 PM

Whether do or don't it is your decision, but do not accept any criticism for choosing the "do" route! They are your images and you should do what you wish with them, short of smacking a monster in the middle of an image then it has no impact on me being able to see the composition or technical aspects of a picture, so as far as I am concerned the image is not ruined (although it could be better of course).

The choice is all down to you Smile

brrttpaul
25 Mar 2013 - 6:20 PM

Quote: A watermark will not stop people pinching your images

and thats the point m trying to make, why have them if they that easy to get rid of?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 6:25 PM

Watermarks have many uses...not all of them have anything to do with image security.

brrttpaul
25 Mar 2013 - 7:20 PM

Well ok got the self advertising but cant think of anything else, and if they easy to get rid of the advertising bit goes out of the window anyway. Am I missing something here?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 8:05 PM

Hidden water marks are best Smile

Evertonian
26 Mar 2013 - 10:17 AM

A lousy picture will!

simont
simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2013 - 11:50 AM

Quote: Watermarks have many uses...not all of them have anything to do with image security.

Aren't you're thinking of "waterboarding" Smile

daniriot
daniriot  7 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2013 - 11:45 AM

I went through a few stages, I used to watermark with a logo. then after that it was text watermark, and now they are gone altogether.

Watermarks are old news, the new story is reverse image searches, it means you can keep an eye on where stolen versions are being posted without affecting how your image is viewed.

Add that to a good EXIF and you will always be able to trace where images are going.

779HOB
779HOB  21020 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Mar 2013 - 1:33 PM

Quote: Add that to a good EXIF and you will always be able to trace where images are going.

Can't that just be deleted in Photoshop and re-saved?

Quote: reverse image searches

Is a very good tool and in combination with Paul's watermarking method is about the best way forward.

779HOB
779HOB  21020 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Mar 2013 - 1:39 PM

EXIF data changed. This one now says it's mine - it still shows that the camera was yours of course but who's to say I didn't use your camera.

rose.jpg

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2013 - 1:56 PM

Quote: Well ok got the self advertising but cant think of anything else, and if they easy to get rid of the advertising bit goes out of the window anyway. Am I missing something here?

If you have the original, the act of removing the watermark could be seen as deliberate attempt to defraud you, "I did not realise, sorry" wouldn't wash when they have gone to the lengths to remove it.

We live in a different world like it or not where materiel on the net is seen as public domain, your best protection as pointed out above is reverse image search, if you have the fight to get into a legal argument, otherwise your best to not upload or make them of such a quality that they can not be used.
I'm thinking of putting a logo on mine purely to let people know I took them, as I know in my case they will get shared everywhere.

Evertonian
27 Mar 2013 - 4:01 PM

Would you spend £hundreds attempting to sue somebody for using a picture of your origin with a value of maybe £50? (Upper agency price)

Last Modified By Evertonian at 27 Mar 2013 - 4:02 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.