Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

We have a new pope.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

chris.maddock
14 Mar 2013 - 7:42 PM

Quote: I wouldn't bet against de Kirchner lobbying for Papal support against the "colonial invaders".

Maybe we could give the Falklands back right after they give Argentina back to Spain ? Wink

LOL WinkWinkWink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Mar 2013 - 7:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122191 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2013 - 8:11 PM

I can assure you Spain would not want us. Tongue

Phoenix
Phoenix  131871 forum posts
14 Mar 2013 - 8:51 PM

Quote: I can assure you Spain would not want us. Tongue

And neither to the inhabitants of the Falkland Islands want to be Argentinian.

Given the Argentinians don't respect the Falkland Islanders right to Self-Determination, I refuse to respect the Argentinians right to Self-Determination and regard Argentina as a colony of Spain

Last Modified By Phoenix at 14 Mar 2013 - 8:52 PM
Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3648 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2013 - 9:05 PM

I have nothing against Argentinians, after all they have given us the best corned horse, sorry I mean corned beef, for years and Evita ( Elaine Paige musical not the Madonna crap ) but they really should butt out and leave the Falklands to the wishes of the people of the Falklands. Still I hope the new pope enjoys his meal out with the outgoing pope at Frankie & Bennys.

chris.maddock
18 Mar 2013 - 4:04 PM

Quote: Can one assume that the new Pope will not be visiting the Falkland Islands ?

Whether he does or not, I wouldn't bet against de Kirchner lobbying for Papal support against the "colonial invaders".

Quote: Can one assume that the new Pope will not be visiting the Falkland Islands ?

Whether he does or not, I wouldn't bet against de Kirchner lobbying for Papal support against the "colonial invaders".

Hehe, I should have bet that she would. Mind you, I am surprised that she took so long to get around to it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21835363

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314811 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2013 - 4:33 PM

Personally with the state this country is in, we should offer sell it to them, and at the same time include our cost for the Falklands war including interest.

chris.maddock
18 Mar 2013 - 6:17 PM

My own view is that most of her posturing on the subject has been a combination of building/retaining popular support within Argentina leading up to and since the last election and the possibility of commercially viable oil deposits being found around the Falklands.

With regards to the latter I think Argentina could do far better for itself, not by preventing any shipping docking in Argentina that has visited the Falklands, but by developing support facilities for the industry - charged at appropriate commercial rates, of course.

I'm sure that no sensible oil company would choose to have their support facilities thousands of miles away if there was a reasonably priced alternative just a few hundred miles away so such a facility could be extremely lucrative for Argentina without them actually needing to "own" or claim to "own" the oil fields themselves.

Providing such facilities certainly hasn't done Aberdeen any harm.

thewilliam
18 Mar 2013 - 6:45 PM

From what I can gather, the Argentinians were surprised when Britain used military force to regain the Falklands because they had assumed that Britain had lost interest in the islands. The Foreign Office had warned the government to this effect but it was in vain.

The UK armed forces have been run down to the point where a second Falklands war would be all but impossible. Next time the Argentinian government need something to divert public concern away from the state of the country, I shouldn't be surprised to see the Falklands invaded again.

KevSB
KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2013 - 10:17 PM

Quote: From what I can gather, the Argentinians were surprised when Britain used military force to regain the Falklands because they had assumed that Britain had lost interest in the islands. The Foreign Office had warned the government to this effect but it was in vain.

The UK armed forces have been run down to the point where a second Falklands war would be all but impossible. Next time the Argentinian government need something to divert public concern away from the state of the country, I shouldn't be surprised to see the Falklands invaded again.

Would not happen, this time we would have to accept American help, which we declined last time, the Americans would be obligated to support us, Argentina would not take on an American battle group

mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2013 - 10:57 PM

Why would the US be obligated to support us? They didn't reallly support us first time round.

Quote: From what I can gather, the Argentinians were surprised when Britain used military force to regain the Falklands because they had assumed that Britain had lost interest in the islands.

That's the crazy thing - at the time te Falkland islanders were very pro-Argentina (kids schooled in Argentina, most supply lines coming through there, UK had withdrawn their Arctic support vessels etc) and in 10 years would have probably been quite happy to become Argentinian anyway. Galtieri messed up for the sake of a quick political fix.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
18 Mar 2013 - 11:34 PM

What does Kirchner want the pope to do.....pray? Can't see that achieving much. When British soldiers have died fighting and winning a war provoked by the other side and the islands' occupants have voted overwhelmingly to remain British, the chances of the UK government giving way look exceedingly remote.

KevSB
KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2013 - 11:35 PM

The American supported us fully, they supplied us at short notice with all aspect sidewinders which made it possible to take on the argentine airforce, without them we may as well have not gone, they offered maggie an aircraft carrier which was turned down. Uk has supported the us in every war sinse often against the rest if the world, if America did not support us then it would lose uts best allie
Ths s all documented.

Ascension Island was also an American base which the us ordered to aid the uk.

Last Modified By KevSB at 18 Mar 2013 - 11:40 PM
keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 5:33 AM

The offer of the aircraft carrier was an empty gesture. Who was going to crew it?

thewilliam
19 Mar 2013 - 9:59 AM

The US has to be careful not to upset its friends.

Remember they remained neutral whenever Greece and Turkey, both NATO members, had their little tiffs. The UK is basically just another semi-third-world ally, as is Argentina. But Latin America is on the way up whereas Britain is on the decline.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
19 Mar 2013 - 12:13 PM

Quote: I think Argentina could do far better for itself, not by preventing any shipping docking in Argentina that has visited the Falklands, but by developing support facilities for the industry

I've tended to agree with that in the past but thinking it through, I can't see any way the Argentinian government would support the process of wealth transfer to a foreign power from lands which they maintain are rightly theirs. If natural resources are found in any quantity, expect the anti to up...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.