Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Wearing Glasses

gareth01422 7 213 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 12:39PM
Hi guys

One thing I cant seem to get to grips with is when looking through the eye piece on my camera, should I be wearing my glasses

Or do I set the focus so i don't need to?

This is baffling me.

Gareth

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 12:42PM
If your camera viewfinder has a dioptre adjustment you may be able to adjust that to compensate so you don't have to.
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 12:50PM
I always wear my glasses even with dioptre adjustment.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
24 Nov 2012 12:53PM

Quote:I always wear my glasses even with dioptre adjustment.

I do the same. What's the point of taking your glasses off, taking a picture, putting them back on etc?
gareth01422 7 213 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 1:13PM

Quote:I always wear my glasses even with dioptre adjustment.

I do the same. What's the point of taking your glasses off, taking a picture, putting them back on etc?

To me it just feels wrong, wearing glasses while looking through the view finder......

its probably just me...
sparrowhawk e2
6 268 2 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 1:17PM
wear your glasses i always have and always will ! we were given glasses to wear so why take em off it's sillly really
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
24 Nov 2012 1:25PM
I'm always taking glasses on and off. I wear them for distance, but not for reading. It's no big deal really.

LCD screens on the back of the camera are very handy! Using the VF, I sometimes just look over the top of the specs.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
24 Nov 2012 1:26PM
Wear them. I tried without but couldn't be arrised having to put them on all the time in order to read the camera-top screen.

Malc
Campervanman e2
7 717 1 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 2:36PM
Just do whatever you're most comfortable with. Personally I take mine off because I like to get my eye up tight to the viewfinder to see all of the viewing screen and camera settings shown in the viewfinder.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
24 Nov 2012 2:43PM

Quote:I wear them for distance, but not for reading

I have thought about that recently.
Eye distance to viewfinder is minimal so I am beginning to think I need some plain ( not varifocal ) reading glasses when manual focussing.
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
24 Nov 2012 3:08PM
can't see a bl**dy thing without mine. GrinGrin..the only problem I have is that I keep having to clean my glasses afterwards Sad

perhaps laser surgery is the answer? my wife had a lens implant, I'm not brave enough SmileSmileSmile
marsh145 6 21 England
24 Nov 2012 3:34PM
I'm the same as cats_123....... can't see a thing without them!! Always wear my glasses Grin unless I'm in a canoe or kayak, when I wear contact lenses for distance..... but then I can't see what I've taken until I get home and put my glasses on!Sad
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 4:59PM
wear them. no time for messing around.
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 5:32PM
As long as you can see the whole frame it isn't a problem, but not many cameras have high-eye point viewfinders. As long as you set the diopter correction for what you normally do....

The only time you might have a problem is if the exposure is changed if the eyepiece isn't covered, for instance if using a big ND filter, you will need to cover the eyepiece or the meter might read light from t rather than through the lens. Cameras expect the eyepiece to be covered by your eye!

Nick
MikeA 10 1.2k England
24 Nov 2012 6:02PM
Always take mine off, better to see the whole frame.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.