Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wearing Glasses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

marsh145
marsh145  6 England
24 Nov 2012 - 6:11 PM

It's ok taking them off to see the whole frame.... but if all you see is coloured blobs......

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Nov 2012 - 6:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2012 - 6:44 PM

I have never find the need to take off my glasses nor use diopter correction.

Briwooly
Briwooly  8452 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2012 - 7:15 PM

Quote: I'm always taking glasses on and off. I wear them for distance, but not for reading. It's no big deal really.

really depends what you wear glasses for I need them to read so I don't use them to look through the view finder and use diopter correction so I can see the lens info clearly

Brian...............

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2012 - 10:34 PM

I have glasses for reading and close up work, it's become a real pain as a macroist especially if using a camera that has all it controls on the rear screen. If I'm using the Olympus Pen, it's a real drag as I can't see all the icons properly on the multi-function button correctly any more Sad Nothing like a good clunky knob to turn and know it's set in Aperture Priority or whatever else I need. Grin

Ade.......Getting old Sad

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110294 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2012 - 10:57 PM

I hate using glasses with my camera and now that I am suffering from rather bad astigmatism using the EVF is a bit of a guessing game.

My distance vision is focused right, just distorted so the dioptre adjustment isn't much use (well - it gets it so that I know its sharp, I just can't see the detail that well Wink )

I suppose I will have to give in and use them for photography at some stage (I have for driving and looking at pics in galleries and club comps) but I really, really hate looking through any sort of viewfinder with glasses on - (almost as much as I hate trying use the LCD to compose a picture unless I'm shooting in low light on a tripod)

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014829 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 3:57 AM

I wear bifocals, and I can't stand wearing them for distance. I finally had to give in and wear them for the viewfinder, because I can't see the back of the camera for buttons, or the LCD for anything without them. I wear them for watching TV, and using the PC.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 25 Nov 2012 - 3:57 AM
gaelldew
gaelldew  7271 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 - 2:33 PM

I wear varifocals and have no problems it only needs a slight eye movement to check the settings.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3799 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 5:16 PM

Very recently I had my specs prescription completely reversed after cataract surgery to both eyes, after a lifetime of severe short sight ( so bad I needed help crossing the road if I broke my specs) ........ My old foggy cataract ridden natural lense were replaced by very clever plastic ones that have given me almost perfect distance vision .....there is a trade off however, I do need strong reading glasses.

But, because I am a retired professionsl woodworker and hobby photographer, to keep taking specs on and off drove me nuts......I chatted to the Specsavers optician explaining that I really wanted to SEE where I LOOKED.......the result is a fantastic pair of variofocals that give me all round perfect vision for the first time in my life.

Hobbo

User_Removed
25 Nov 2012 - 10:38 PM

Quote: I always wear my glasses even with dioptre adjustment.

Ditto.

I wear vari-focals and look through the "distance" portion when using the camera viewfinder (with no dioptre adjustment required in my case).

Can't think of any reason not to.

One total misconception, that I have seen promulgated several times by the ignorant journos that edit photography magazines, is that wearing or not wearing glasses might affect the user's ability to focus the camera accurately.

Pure bullshit.

The ground glass (or similar) focussing screen of an SLR camera is a two-dimensional picture of what the camera lens is "seeing". The viewfinder optics allow the eye, with or without glasses and adjusted by the dioptre adjustment if necessary, to focus on that two dimensional plane surface. It really is as simple as that.

AnneB50
AnneB50 e2 Member 2110 forum postsAnneB50 vcard Scotland18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 1:05 PM

It seems that the answer varies from person to person doesn't it. I have to wear mine as I can't see without them but I have had to have them changed. My last pair had photochromic lenses, so they went dark in sunlight which meant that the colours I thought I was seeing were incorrect. Now that I have a clear pair they are fine although I constantly have to have them adjusted as I get them twisted pressing against the viewfinder!

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 5:07 PM

I think, but not 100% sure why Gareth asked. This has always bothered me when using a manual focus. I wear vari focals and need help for reading mid range and a touch for distance. If I take mine off I couldn't even find the camera let alone read stuff on itSmile But in Manwell focus are you focussing for yourself or for others? Or does a manual focus work just the same with glasses on or off? Actually I could never get it focussed without bins so I guess it's somewhat hackademic?

User_Removed
10 Dec 2012 - 5:25 PM

I thought that I had covered that a couple of posts up, Mozzy.

Quote: One total misconception, that I have seen promulgated several times by the ignorant journos that edit photography magazines, is that wearing or not wearing glasses might affect the user's ability to focus the camera accurately.

Pure bullshit.

The ground glass (or similar) focussing screen of an SLR camera is a two-dimensional picture of what the camera lens is "seeing". The viewfinder optics allow the eye, with or without glasses and adjusted by the dioptre adjustment if necessary, to focus on that two dimensional plane surface. It really is as simple as that.

As long as your eye can focus on the two dimensional plane surface of the ground glass screen on the viewfinder (which everyone should be able to do, either unaided if they have perfect eyesight or using either their glasses and/or the viewfinder dioptre adjustment), then your long- or short-sighted vision does not in any way affect the focus of the camera when you focus manually.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 10 Dec 2012 - 5:27 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014829 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 8:48 PM

I have seen viewfinder eyepieces advertised for people who wear glasses, relatively cheap, btw.

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2012 - 8:51 PM

Quote: I thought that I had covered that a couple of posts up, Mozzy.

You did (blush).

thewilliam
16 Dec 2012 - 10:04 AM

Some of us have astigmatism, so that it isn't possible to bring both vertical and horizontal lines into sharp focus without our prescription lenses.

Take a look at your prescription: I always get a copy of mine because it does come in useful. If there's a number in the "cyl" column for your viewing eye, keep your glasses on.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.