Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wearing glasses and taking photos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Waveydavey001
24 Mar 2014 - 10:43 AM

I've recently had my eyes retested and had confirmation that my eyesight is still terrible. They have suggested also varifocals. I'm curious as to what other peoples experiences are when using electronic viewfinders and varifocals. If I was going for single distance would I be right to assume that it would be the distance lens I should use or is it reading?

It is all very confusing and my eyes are bad enough that the corrective dial on the side of the viewfinder is likely to be useless.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Mar 2014 - 10:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Stephen_w3d
24 Mar 2014 - 11:10 AM

I need both distance and reading glasses. I use the distance ones when looking through the evf on my omd but I need the readers when looking at the rear screen.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2014 - 11:14 AM

hmm.... can you use live-view?

all the systems are different - but with a 5D2 you just move the box over the bit you want to focus on and hit the AF button... which takes the pressure off your eyes doing the focussing...

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
24 Mar 2014 - 11:23 AM

Varifocal is the way to go. You get used to them very quickly. You can read, watch tv, see far away and even take photo using the eyepiece of your dslr with only one pair of glasses.

You just need to adjust the eyepiece to your vision with your glasses on.

PhilT2
PhilT2 e2 Member 4103 forum postsPhilT2 vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2014 - 11:30 AM

You would need distance lens for looking through the viewfinder and reading for using the back screen.
Varifocals can be tricky to get used to, but I have found that provided the lenses are of a reasonable size (ie not slim lens designer types) they are fine after you feel comfortable with them (in a shorter time than you would think). I use varifocals and distance lens for photography and to be honest have no problem looking through the viewfinder with either. All you need to remember is to look through the upper part of the lens which is for distance.
I have excellent close reading vision so to check the rear screen is no problem either way.... if I'm wearing distance specs I do have to move them out of the way.....but if you need readers to see the screen then varifocals are probably the best bet.
My only advice is to pay a little extra for the thinner lenses as the transition between long to close is much less obvious and you do not get any blurry areas which can happen with the thicker lens.
The corrective dial can be useful, but you have to remove your glasses to use it.......so you are in the same boat.

sparrowhawk
sparrowhawk e2 Member 5268 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2014 - 12:10 PM

truly i have used varifocals for ages now and have never had any trouble ! it's like anything if you think about what you have to do it becomes difficult ! varifocals is the way forward

Waveydavey001
24 Mar 2014 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I have ordered some varifocals now and some distance (with clip on sunnies as I'm an optimist about the summer).

It looks like I should be fine with those varifocals and can use the distance as backups

Panic over Smile

Ted447
Ted447 e2 Member 171 forum postsTed447 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2014 - 1:28 PM

I've used varivocals for years no problems. Ted.

CaroleS
CaroleS e2 Member 434 forum postsCaroleS vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2014 - 1:53 PM

Once you get used to them they are brilliant - I wear mine all the time when out with my camera, with no problem at all.
Carole

franken
franken e2 Member 123171 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2014 - 2:03 PM

I've used varifocals for a very long time and I look through the viewfinder using the distant part of the lenses.

I've never found it to be a problem.

Ken.

ps, I use a DSLR and a micro 4/3rds electronic viewfinder without any problems.

Last Modified By franken at 24 Mar 2014 - 2:03 PM
Dave_Canon
24 Mar 2014 - 3:19 PM

Some of the advice here is wrong. What you see in the viewfinder is a virtual image i.e. you are not seeing the objects at their actual distance. In most cases the virtual objects you see in the viewfinder will be around 10 inches away which is often very comfortable for most people.

I wear varifocal lenses and have for some years and they are ideal once you get used to them; it may take a few months. I will often leave them on when using my DSLR but sometimes take them off. In most cases, I use auto-focus so I only need to compose the shot rather than critically focus. When I do want to critically focus, I will often use live view so I can zoom in and focus manually.

Dave

TanyaH
TanyaH Critique Team 11586 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom46 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2014 - 4:43 PM

I've often wondered about this - I now need 'reading' glasses for reading and close stuff, although my long sight is still excellent. So composing through the viewfinder isn't an issue, but using Live View (and focusing manually) is a bit of a struggle sometimes and I need to use the reading glasses to do it. I've always focused manually when using Live View, trying to do it 'properly' and to be honest I (dumbly) hadn't realised that I could also use auto focus (thanks ade_mcfade) - I probably should re-read that bit of the manual again!

I've tried adjusting the dioptre scroll wheel, as it says to adjust it till the focusing screen "appears sharp" ... but I always worry that I'm not doing it right, or that rubbish close-focus eyesight is somehow precluding me getting sharp images when trying to focus manually. I know it's not my lenses, it's definitely 'user error' ... and I always feel that my focusing just isn't quite good enough, even though I try to do it all right at the time of taking the image! Sad

Tanya

Last Modified By TanyaH at 24 Mar 2014 - 4:43 PM
LouiseTopp
24 Mar 2014 - 4:48 PM

This'll sound wierd but I find my left eye better than my right one, I wear long distance glasses, and reading one's for books and the typing.

min
min  3519 forum posts England
24 Mar 2014 - 7:35 PM

I have worn varifocals for a couple of years now, the problem I have found is for some reason I would end up looking over the top of the glasses when looking through the viewfinder, maybe because my glasses are quite narrow, so I'm now trying contacts my right eye is a distance lens and my left is a reader, I'm on my 3rd week now I'm told it may take a bit of time to get used to it. I know a few people that have chosen to do this and it works for them. Grin

Jestertheclown
24 Mar 2014 - 9:28 PM

Varifocals wil be fine. I've worn them for years.
Loking through a viewfinder, EVF or otherwise will be no different to looking across the road.
Once you've worn them for a very short time, you won't realise they're there.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.