Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wearing Glasses or Contact lenses when using a camera - which is best?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Daisy_intheMill
12 Mar 2007 - 10:43 AM

I've worn glasses and contact lenses for long sightedness since the age of 18. Now I'm sure this is something that most photographers experience - my short sight is deteriorating and I'm advised that I would benefit from wearing bifocal glasses. When I'm using the camera I find that contact lenses are my best option as glasses just seem to get in the way, or I'm having to take them on and off a lot - how have you coped with this problem, if you have? - I'd like to hear your experiences.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Mar 2007 - 10:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
12 Mar 2007 - 10:48 AM

Quote: I'm advised that I would benefit from wearing bifocal glasses

They cost more but I would suggest you consider 'varifocals' Jude. There's no abrupt change of focus point with 'varifocals'. It's a continual transition from short to long. These and the viewfinder dioptre correction sort things for me.

HTH's...

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2007 - 11:05 AM

Yes, that works for me, too. Takes a little getting used to at first, varifocals, especially when going down the stairs, but it now works fine for me.

Conrad

ejtumman
ejtumman  102756 forum posts England
12 Mar 2007 - 11:28 AM

I wear glasses when taking photos, and use the dioptric adjustment knob on the camera where necessary.

Emma ;o)

Daisy_intheMill
12 Mar 2007 - 11:36 AM

Thanks. So far it's varifocals then.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has managed with contact lenses as an alternative. I've been told that it's possible to get varilenses altho.apparently difficult to get on with and expensive, or 2 different prescriptions for each eye and the brain compensates? Any thoughts?

akh
akh e2 Member 101142 forum postsakh vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2007 - 12:47 PM

I have used varifocals for many years which are great for everyday things but for taking photographs I have the dioptre adjustment set so that I don't need to wear my spectacles. I find that I can cope without them for longish periods when out and about although things aren't as clear as they should be and so I pop them back on from time to time.

I have tried with my spectacles on but find I suffer from vignetting in the view finder unless I have my eye really close to the camera which then leaves me with marks all over my spectacles. It is a bit of a pain having to take them on and off but liveable with.

Have never really considered contact lenses but can highly recommend varifocals over bi-focals. As Conrad said the main problem is in going down stairs but you get used to them after a couple of days or so.
Tony

Daisy_intheMill
12 Mar 2007 - 1:18 PM

My main difficulty at the moment is, when I'm wearing glasses or lenses, being able to read the menu and the small writting on the camera. I suppose varifocals are ideal for that. But I'm also vain and don't like having to wear glasses!

pennyspike
pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2007 - 1:51 PM

Same problem for me and most of us over 47.
Like you, I really don't like wearing glasses. I have worn contact lenses for all my adult life and can't interchange with specs even if I want to, but I do use cheap and cheerful reading glasses just to help with the small print etc. I am forever losing them, scratching them and sitting on them, so don't want to get anything expensive. I have a pair in all the usual places, camera bag, car, by the pc, etc.
My optician says that they are fine for me and didn't try and sell anything different. Another useful buy was Boots sunglasses that have a reading section in the bottom.
Check it out with your optician in case your they're not suitable for you but I find it works for me.
I do have a friend who has the two different prescriptions for left and right contact lenses. She said it took a bit of getting used to but now has no problems but she is not a photographer.
Again, talk to your optician.
Penny

raziel_uk
raziel_uk  104929 forum posts
12 Mar 2007 - 2:45 PM

I can't answer this question as I don't wear either, but what I was surprised was one of the members on the shoot in Brighton was wearing his sunglasses while taking photos.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2007 - 2:47 PM

Easier that way to imagine what a tobacco filter will do for your picture! Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2007 - 2:51 PM

Quote: what a tobacco filter will do

A bit like Marlborough brand, Conrad? Smile

GPTek
GPTek e2 Member 8437 forum postsGPTek vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2007 - 2:54 PM

I've worn glasses most of my life too, and I'm currently using varifocals and have one long-sighted and one short-sighted eye to complicate things. I have seen advertised varifocal contact lenses (just check google). I've have no experience of them, and can't guess how easy they are to use... but discuss the options with your optician, you often are able to try lenses before finally committing to them.

HTH

Geoff

Daisy_intheMill
12 Mar 2007 - 3:02 PM

Thanks guys for your comments - yes ultimately it's what suits me and my eyes but I did think it was something that a lot of people must have tackled and quite uniquely as photographers needing to regularly use both short and long sight, oh and in focus!! When at the computer screen I manage well - just with increasing difficulty with the camera - hence my out of focus pics recentlySmile)

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2007 - 3:19 PM

I've worn glasses since I was 12 so don't consider lenses at this stage. I keep the specs on and use dioptre adjutment and it's fine. However, with coated lenses they can eventually wear and become degraded from keep having the eyepiece against the coating. When I was more into astronomy this was a very big problem, so I had the specs on a neck chain and left them off and use the dioptre adjustment to view. It cost me an expemsive pair of lenses to learn this though

Stephen

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2007 - 3:24 PM

I wear glasses and have contact lenses as well. I always use my contacts for photography, I can't see thought the viewfinder properly with the glasses.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.