Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Web design/Hosting

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    annajane
    annajane  2 United Kingdom
    12 Jun 2013 - 4:17 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on website design/hosting. I hope this is the right place.
    My photos are currently on pbase (www.pbase.com/annajane) and I'm looking to move over to my own site.

I want the design to be quite similar to my current one (simple table with thumbnails that open out to a larger image in a new webpage - no flash/lightbox) as well as having the integrated option for a paypal cart and a list of keywords alongside the image that can be clicked on to display other images with the same keyword.

I have my domain name registered with 123-reg, and they offer a few options included with their hosting such as "Gallery" but I don't know how flexible this would be, or if it's worth their costs.

I'm not interested in SmugMug/Zenfolio etc. I'd like more design options than that. I know basic HTML and CSS and am willing to experiment, short of building the thing from scratch myself.

What do you use to host your website? Do you have any recommendations/things I should avoid?

Thanks Smile

Last Modified By annajane at 12 Jun 2013 - 4:18 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jun 2013 - 4:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sut68
    sut68 e2 Member 111997 forum postssut68 vcard England76 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 9:43 PM

Have you thought about a Wordpress hosted website with an bolted on ecommerce solution [linked to PayPal]?

Basic HTML and CSS could give you what you want without too much fuss.

I built my own this way - www.postscriptphoto.co.uk, although a few areas are a little more involved than just tinkering, but by purchasing the right theme for a one off cost from say ThemeForest, you could set one up fairly cheaply and stay in full control of all aspects. Mine functions slightly differently to the way you've described, but I am sure there will be some themes out there that fit your needs right out of the box.

Wordpress hosting from Freshsites is 16.99/year. All you need to do is point your namesever records to your new site when you're ready to go.

Hope this helps.

Paul

iancrowson
    iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 11:55 PM

I use Unlimited Web Hosting where you can host any number of web sites. I have about 15 hosted there. Good value too.
    I built my own photography site using Dream Weaver and bought in java script based Juice Box for the galleries. For simple slides shows there is plenty of free script about on line. I don't sell on line as you do but it would be easy to add a Pay Pal based shop.
    Not being a pro the site is really just to amuse me and show off my (limited) web site building skills. I know a little code and CSS but really with Dream Weaver not much is required.
    www.iancrowsonphotography.co.uk
    I make more money from building the odd website than selling photos.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.