Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Web Hosting

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 6:26 PM

Hi all. As many of you know I have been admin for a (non-photography) internet forum for over a decade. The publishing company - which has provided the hosting on their own server - has decided to ditch all its internet forums and concentrate on Facebook and Twitter. The team which runs the forum is keen to continue it as an independent forum.

Which means I need to find a suitable hosting company. The ones which have been suggested to me by the publishing company's IT guy, although I don't think he's actually used them, are: 1&1, Fasthosts and 123-Reg. They are all apparently big players. Unfortunately web reviews of these companies tend heavily towards the negative... but one always has to take into account that the dissatisfied are likely to be much more noisy than the satisfied!

I would far rather rely on EPZers' expertise, so if anyone has experience of using web hosts, I'd be very grateful for any comments and recommendations. Thanks. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 May 2013 - 6:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Collier
2 May 2013 - 6:38 PM

I am with Streamline.net and have had no problems.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022894 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 6:50 PM

If you're a largely UK forum and would like a UK based server with UK support and customer service then you might look at someone like Net hosted.

rheyes
rheyes  1071 forum posts United Kingdom
2 May 2013 - 6:58 PM

I use Aegis Hosting. Always an excellent service.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

Many thanks Dave, Keith and Richard. I will look into your suggestions. Smile

I need as many options as possible. The budget is tight and, in the first year, will probably be coming out of yours truly's pocket! In the longer term a little bit of advertising will hopefully cover it.

So any more suggestions will be very welcome.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
3 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

See my 1&1 thread, do not touch with a barge poll Sad

Carabosse
3 May 2013 - 1:16 AM

Thanks Paul. I've just read through it. Nasty stuff! Sad Your experience also seems to be replicated, quite significantly, judging by reviews on the web although, to be fair, there are those who have had no probs.

To be on the safe side I think I'll drop 1&1 from my list! Smile

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114491 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2013 - 6:14 AM

Quote: The team which runs the forum is keen to continue it as an independent forum.

I understand the need to keep it independent, but have you not considered Yahoo Groups or something along those lines to host the forum for you. I moderate and run one or two groups on there, nothing to do with photography and they seem to work quite well. Just an idea which you may well have considered already, but it might be worth a look if you haven't......If nothing else it's free. Wink

Other than this have a look at Just Host which is a hosting company myself and some like minded folk use.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72338 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
3 May 2013 - 9:07 AM

Hosting companies are a dime a dozen and many are just re-sellers of others.

I have found good service with both KDA Web Services and OWPHosting. I can't really speak in terms of price though as my experience with KDA goes beyond just price and more about the service provided, so value for money. OWP, lets just say I have mates rates and they are US based.

Furthermore, I would highly advise getting an idea of the current site's traffic which you will be taking on to assess if VPS or dedicated is ideal as well. Also, get in contact with sales, you'd be surprised what strings some companies can pull with a little bit of discussion.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 3 May 2013 - 9:19 AM
puertouk
puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2013 - 9:18 AM

I had fasthost and found it poor. I went to iPage, who I find brilliant. 24/7 help. They have a special offer on until the 3 May, so you need to hurry.

Miles Herbert
3 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Have a word with Daniel at The Server Centre - it's his own company, he takes a personal interest in his clients so service is good, reliability and speed have been excellent and he can tailor what you need on his own servers. He handles my own server for the stufff that matters, the stuff that doesn't matter is hosted by "Unlimited Web Hosting" - who are best described as a little hit and miss.

Carabosse
3 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Many thanks Ade, David, Stephen & Miles. This is all very helpful. Smile

janovilas
janovilas  10218 forum posts England
3 May 2013 - 5:13 PM

A friend of mine runs Symanix Hosting... They seem to be pretty good...

GillR
GillR  771 forum posts United Kingdom
3 May 2013 - 5:43 PM

I've been with Hostgator for just over 5 years. Never had a problem caused by them, and the only time I did have to get an issue - which I had caused myself - resolved, it was done via LiveChat in no time at all.

They're a primary provider rather than a reseller and their hosting gives you c-panel admin and fantastico install, including phpBB. No idea what current reviews might say about them, all I can say is that I've been very happy. You can buy domain names cheaper elsewhere though.

Hostgator Shared Plans

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2013 - 6:18 PM

I use LCN

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.