Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Web Sharpening

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
pmorgan
pmorgan  7217 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2011 - 8:33 AM

Hi guys,

since the revamp of the site (not that I can see why this would make a difference), I have noticed there seem to be some issues with sharpening both over and under. I know this is all personal taste but I thought I’d share a tried and tested method.

This method is used by some of the best known landscape photographers around the world. I am aware however, that those of you in the portraiture world don’t necessarily want everything pin sharp and tend to focus on the high pass sharpening method to bring out key areas such as the lips and eyes. For everyone else though, here goes:

When you have finished all of your other processing work it is time to get it ready for posting on the site.

Duplicate the layer and set the blend mode to luminosity.

Resize your image to twice the size that you will be posting at ie for e2 members that would be 2000 pixels on the longest edge.

Sharpen this layer twice, just literally the normal sharpen not unsharp mask etc.

Then resize the image to the size to be posted ie 1000 pixels on the longest edge.

You can stop here if you wish, but just a couple of extra tweaks can make all the difference.

Select smart sharpen and enter 40% and around 0.1 – 0.2 for the settings.

Lastly add a layer mask to this “sharpened” layer and paint out any areas such as sky/water etc that you don’t want sharp. Pay particular attention to sharpening halos – that one pixel wide very light line that can appear on the horizon.

Convert to sRGB and you’re ready to save for web!

Hope this helps, it is a method that will work on all sites (your own website etc) as long as you know what the finished size should be.

P.S this is not the method on my DVD as I discovered the method afterwards.

Rgds
Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Feb 2011 - 8:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2011 - 8:53 AM

Bookmark

Phil_Restan
11 Feb 2011 - 9:14 AM

Thanks for posting that Paul, will try it. Good to see you're doing free updates on your DVDWink

Phil

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2011 - 9:43 AM

This sounds well worth a try - in this 2 stage process i assume you also use the bicubic sharpner algorithm for the 2000 to 1000 reduction.
Thanks

pmorgan
11 Feb 2011 - 9:50 AM

Yes Stuart, it's the default setting anyway.

Rgds
Paul

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2011 - 10:01 AM

Been using this method for a while now.
Works extremely well.
Now that the secret is out, gallery will be full of Sharp images. I will have to start using soft focus filter just to be different...Smile

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82318 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2011 - 1:12 PM

Thanks Paul

User_Removed
11 Feb 2011 - 3:49 PM

Or you can just do smart sharpen at 100%/0.5 and get exactly the same result.

User_Removed
11 Feb 2011 - 3:57 PM

Or you can just use smart sharpen's advanced settings to effectively sharpen at different spatial scales.

Sizing up, sharpening and then resizing is just a plain long winded way of achieving this...

pmorgan
11 Feb 2011 - 4:23 PM

First my DVD now my sharpening method - apparently I don't know anything worth sharing!!!

From now on if anybody asks me anything I'll point them in Swwils direction as he seems to know everything!

bfgstew
bfgstew  8668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2011 - 4:26 PM

Beat me to it Paul!

If you wish to add to the forums do so in a more dignified manner. I find your attitude to how people do things utterly disgraceful. Instead of your sharp acidic comments back it up with a tutorial or some screen grabs so we can all learn how good you really are!

Last Modified By bfgstew at 11 Feb 2011 - 4:30 PM
User_Removed
11 Feb 2011 - 4:32 PM

FTP'ing now.

User_Removed
11 Feb 2011 - 4:42 PM

www.swwils.com/toolkit.atn

www.swwils.com/color.atn

Set your actions panel to "button mode" for EOU. Set play back options to "step by step" or pause for xx seconds to use as learning reference.

The 'toolkit' is updated every now and then with some easy-to-use automations, I do not see the need to STOP message everything, so please remove them at your will - the more dedicated tools and scripts (full toolkit) can be obtained my sending me a PM.

Current Public toolkit:

Seemless loop (360 panoramics) - From a photomerged 360 shot, this action will detect each edge and automatically trim it at the correct point for a seemless loop. (requires CS5/CS4 content aware features)

Skin smooth (selection) - smooths the currently selected area of skin, use in conjunction with a feathered selection method of your choice.

Ephotozine Export (e2) - Changes the current file to 1000px longest edge an applies smart sharpening through spacial scales. (also adjusts for certain PHP severs colour-cast via colour curves, disable if you can verify the sever you are uploading too) (no direct save)

Ephotozine Export (normal) - Same as above, but for 600px. Also automatically saves the file as a copy (JPEG with sRGB). (do not use for batch)

Photo toner technique - adobe action, uses LAB process for black and white creation (along with colour casts with descriptive STOPS)

Curves E6-C41 - XPRO colour curve.

Curves c41-E6 - XPRO colour curvebut the chemcials other way round. - use as a basis for many colour techniques.

PM sharpening - the sharpening method described by the OP. (1000px auto also)

1000px simple sharp - same as above but automated with less bicubic usage!

Star trails rotation - photoshop action, creates startrails.

Foreground colour frame - generates basic photoframes with a STOP to select colour. (100x100px min)

COLOUR SET

- several colour cast actions directly from dA to use as a base for softening, sharpening and creative content.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Feb 2011 - 4:47 PM
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2011 - 4:52 PM

Thanks for an interesting procedure Paul. I had not see this one before.

Quote: Or you can just do smart sharpen at 100%/0.5 and get exactly the same result.

First thing I did was test it out back to back with my usual method using smart sharpen.

To be honest the difference was very slight, but Paul's method did not a tiny bit more bite into the very fine detail.

If you want, I can upload my comparison.

Quote: Sizing up, sharpening and then resizing is just a plain long winded way of achieving this...

Yes, its a bit long winded... but saved as an action, it's just two clicks.

Last Modified By mattw at 11 Feb 2011 - 5:02 PM
User_Removed
11 Feb 2011 - 4:54 PM

The smart sharpens advanced menu gives you access to highlight sharpening which is what the default will miss.

Just resizing, performing and action and then resizing is a serious digital no (when the final result will be reduced).

Out of curiosity I have packaged and automated both methods in the toolkit.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Feb 2011 - 5:09 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.