Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Web Sharpening

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
User_Removed
12 Feb 2011 - 2:01 PM

Sharpening should always occur last as it is a loss procedure. - as is resizing. But obviously for some workflows that would extrapolate time taken to produce.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Feb 2011 - 2:02 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Feb 2011 - 2:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

swanseamale47
26 Feb 2011 - 4:32 PM

Some people favor a 3 step sharpeming, others will just do 1 or 2 of the steps.
! capture sharpening (to replace the loss of sharpening by the AA filter on the camera.
2 Creative sharpening, maybe the forground in a landscape or the eyes in a portrait.
3 output sharpening, this is done for type and size of finished image.
Some people will use the camera raw sharpen as a capture sharpen, then add the creative sharpen in photoshop proper, maybe with edge masking or using layer mast to localise the sharpening.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2011 - 5:49 PM

The Lights Right has a sharpening tool kit that can be quite useful....HERE

Do check...but as I remember you copy and paste these files into C>Program Files>Adobe> Your version of Photoshop>Presets>scripts............

It includes a Capture Sharpen, Creative sharpen and an Output Sharpen

Last Modified By CathyT at 26 Feb 2011 - 5:50 PM
swanseamale47
5 Mar 2011 - 11:43 AM

Quote: The Lights Right has a sharpening tool kit that can be quite useful....HERE

Do check...but as I remember you copy and paste these files into C>Program Files>Adobe> Your version of Photoshop>Presets>scripts............

It includes a Capture Sharpen, Creative sharpen and an Output Sharpen

These are based on the well known PK sharpner and are very good.

SWMahy
SWMahy e2 Member 6SWMahy vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2011 - 9:11 PM

Ok, I've come a bit late to the party...just found this forum topic.

Thanks for the web sharpening tip, Paul. It seems to work really well and I think I will use this method from now on. Your posts have a lovely fine sharpness, which I really like.

I just wondered if you tend to sharpen at full size first before resizing and performing additional sharpening for web? And do you sharpen at all for printing, or is sharpening something you do only for resizeing?

I have, until now, been sharpening at full size to try to get image looking the best I can at full size first (usually a low amount at about 5 pixel radius, then a larger amount at about 1 pixel radius) before resizing and sharpening again for web.

Now, I'm thinking perhaps I'd be better off not doing full-size sharpening first if I intend to resize. Maybe I also don't need to sharpen at all when for printing. I suppose the only way to really know what works best is for me to experiment with a few prints sharpened in different ways. Would love to know how others do it, though.

Cheers, Steve.

mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 10:50 PM

Yeah, I'm also curious to hear what the consensus is when working with RAW files - is it wise to do much of the sharpening in the RAW converter and then final sharpening in PS, or should it just be left until all other tweaks have been made?

Cheers,
Chris

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2011 - 7:56 AM

Quote: I just wondered if you tend to sharpen at full size first before resizing and performing additional sharpening for web? And do you sharpen at all for printing, or is sharpening something you do only for resizeing?

I have, until now, been sharpening at full size to try to get image looking the best I can at full size first (usually a low amount at about 5 pixel radius, then a larger amount at about 1 pixel radius) before resizing and sharpening again for web.

Some people do indeed do this - this is known as 'capture sharpening' as described above.

Personally, I have not gone this route myself. I leave all my sharpening untill the end. When printing, I resize to the desired print size first, and then sharpen in two stages. Firstly 'capture sharpen' like stage, and then a more agressive 'Creative & Output' sharpen.

mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2011 - 8:08 AM

Quote: I'm curious about that too. So I just did a quick test and did not get the result I was expecting at all!

I sent the same file from raw converter to Photoshop twice. First time with raw sharpening on 0, second time on 8.

Comparing them side-by-side in Photoshop the sharpened photo looked sharper as you'd expect.

I then resized (bicubic sharper best for reduction) both of them in Photoshop to 1000px tall.

Following the resize they look identical. I can't see any difference. They are both equally sharp.

I'm guessing that the sharpened pixels of the first image didn't survive the resize. Will have to experiment more. Maybe you should try too Chris.

Thanks for that Chris (didn't see response last night sorry!). Gonna play around with sharpening tonight to see how it differs.

It's something that I've just got in the habit of doing but on reflection don't really understand why!!

Cheers,
Chris

teepee
teepee  11654 forum posts England
7 Sep 2012 - 11:31 AM

great

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.