Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Websites? What template company should i use?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3595 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 - 12:39 PM

Quote: Does photoium play music and do all the things that i have listed that i require.

Lucian

Foliopic can play music on the slideshow.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Nov 2011 - 12:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wireman
wireman  852 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 - 1:06 PM

Not sure if this is any use to you but . . .
My wife wanted a web site for her paintings and I suggested that she enquire at the local college. She is now working with students from the computer course at Farnborough College. They are desiging her site to her specification, they are using the latest technologies and the work counts as work experience - a necessary part of their course.
She gets to visit an exciting environment, meet the 'experts' ( or soon to be experts) face to face and listen to their modern ideas about her web site requiirements.

She has requested that updating the site be easily possible by her with major updates a new 'job'.

There has been no requests for payment but she intends to offer them the same money she was being quoted elsewhere.

She gets her web site - the students get experience (of working with not the easiest client in the world) - win, win situation.

David

Paul_Anthony
30 Jan 2012 - 7:06 PM

Quote: Does photoium play music and do all the things that i have listed that i require.

Lucian

The guys have provided a link... go have a look.

Regards

Paul

nickp
nickp  9490 forum posts
30 Jan 2012 - 9:16 PM

I think you're missing a trick Lucian. You really want the music to keep on playing after your visitor has left the site. Now THAT'S class!

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111515 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2012 - 9:33 PM

Zenfolio for me.

Play music, go with templates, optimise the site to your requirements etc etc.

One of the great things is the ability to upload directly from Lightroom and any changes made in LR can be mirrored on your site.

As an aside, an 'Upload to ePHOTOzine' facility from LR would be fantastic.

Last Modified By CaptivePhotons at 30 Jan 2012 - 9:36 PM
meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 - 10:49 AM

Now don't get me wrong but.... Surely as a "professional" photographer you should be having a bespoke site built for you? Template sites are great for many things but if you are trying to stand out from the crowd you want your own site to differentiate your work from the many others you compete against, by their nature template sites do not do this! (believe me I have visited many thousands of photography websites in my job and you can spot a template site).

Oh and seriously lose the music idea, remember many people who surf the web, also listen to music or the radio through their computers and don't want to have to search your site for a button to kill your choice of music over their own.

779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 - 11:51 AM

Quote: Foliopic can play music on the slideshow

Good reson not to use Folipic I'd say Smile

Photium - excellent.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 - 11:54 AM

Quote: Good reson not to use Folipic I'd say

lol, unless you want that feature. It's optional.

Nickscape
Nickscape  8693 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 12:04 PM

I use Photium these days, much easier to maintain, it always works and is far better for google than my previous site. As long as you put a little effort into the design of the site they will always look different. As you are a professional photographer most of the traffic to your site will be clients who will not have seen the template before and as long as the site is clean and functions well the won't care if it is bespoke or formed from a template, the only people who are going to recognise it are the other photographers and they really are not your target market.

Template sites have their positives and negatives, most of these have been discussed in the past.

Many of this countries top landscape photographers now have sites designed by the same company and are all very similar - surely being similar to their competitors isn't hurting their web traffic too much. The days of paying to develop bespoke are numbered, this includes most of the major retail companies who now run their e-commerce sites on the same platform and just pay a small sum to make the graphical side look slightly different, if the functionality is already written and is proven to work well, why pay for someone to develop it again?

Please don't add music to your site, people will just leave as soon as it starts...

Last Modified By Nickscape at 31 Jan 2012 - 12:05 PM
Paul_Anthony
31 Jan 2012 - 5:23 PM

Not that I am looking to stir or owt. But music on websites is generally preferred by women Grin. My business partner (a lady) loves the right kind of music on a website, as does my girlfriend. I dislike it and leave any site that plays music as soon as possible (not exactly extensive research I admit). As with all things, it's personal choice.

Paul

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 5:27 PM

Quote: Not that I am looking to stir or owt. But music on websites is generally preferred by women Grin. My business partner (a lady) loves the right kind of music on a website, as does my girlfriend. I dislike it and leave any site that plays music as soon as possible (not exactly extensive research I admit). As with all things, it's personal choice.

So from that we can deduce, adding music alienates 50% of your potential customers.
Does anyone really go to a website and say "shame there is no music"....?

keithh
keithh  1022764 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 5:28 PM

Spotify?
Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 5:34 PM

All you need is a web site that detects what mood your are in or what music you prefer and plays that Smile Judging by some of the threads in the forums today the auto music selector of epz is picking this... scroll on to 30seconds

Last Modified By Pete at 31 Jan 2012 - 5:35 PM
779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 - 6:06 PM

Pete - class!

Paul_Anthony
31 Jan 2012 - 6:44 PM

Quote: So from that we can deduce, adding music alienates 50% of your potential customers.
Does anyone really go to a website and say "shame there is no music"....?

Yep, my extensive research, that involved canvasing three people, one of whom is myself, shows that only women like music on websites..... FACT.

Paul

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.