Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding - Help Please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
nsrh
nsrh  6144 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jul 2008 - 8:17 PM

Hi folks

I have been asked by some close friend's of mine if I would take pictures at their forthcoming wedding (2 weeks).

I am a guest at the wedding anyway and they are well aware that I am not a pro tog, but as they have paid for the whole thing themselves they have decided not to have a pro tog in order to cut costs.

I have agreed to do this on the understanding if it goes wrong they won't hold it against me and I am doing it FOC.

I am using the following kit:

Nikon D80 (2 bodies, 1 borrowed)
18-135mm kit lens
60mm AF-D Prime Lens
Tamron 55-200mm lens
SBH-600 Flash Gun (is this good enough)
2 x 1GB memory cards

They have told me just to take random shots and I intend to shoot in JPEG (fine).

Any advice of shots, kit etc would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Nigel

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jul 2008 - 8:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

culturedcanvas
21 Jul 2008 - 8:19 PM

search the threads .. theres lots of advice on this in here. Mainly "dont do it" but there might be something useful too Wink

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
21 Jul 2008 - 8:23 PM

I note 3 problems from what you have wrote.

1. you will need far more memory cards
2. Your lenses are clearly not up to the job.
3. Shooting in jpeg is all very well if you have even soft lighting with enough exposure latitute to use the correct exposure but if it is very bright conditions raw could get you out of a lot of trouble.

james

nsrh
nsrh  6144 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jul 2008 - 8:26 PM


Quote: Search the threads .. theres lots of advice on this in here. Mainly "dont do it" but there might be something useful too

LOL thats all I seem to be told is 'don't do it' but they really are not expecting anything special, just want some shots other than from family taking pics.

User_Removed
21 Jul 2008 - 8:27 PM

....and number 4 (Most important!!!)

you need to learn about what happens at weddings.
Sorry mate but photographing a wedding is 10% camera gear and 90% knowing what to do.

Err good luck.

Gerry.

culturedcanvas
21 Jul 2008 - 8:29 PM

Then dont worry about it ... as mentioned shooting raw can get you out of trouble for the important shots. Lots dont bother ... but I do. That said you need the space (storage) and you are lacking ... id buy a cheap 4gb memory card from somewhere to ensure you have extra storage and can fire off more shots. A couple of 2gb might be better if your using two bodies.

Scout the location as soon as you get there. Ensure you get a couple of formals too if you can. be ocnfident and get the best man to give you a hand roudning people up.

Double check your kit on the morning .. keep bth cameras in use with different lenses on each .. a wide and a longer focal length to give you a chance to pick up more shots.

Other than that relax and enjoy it ... try and think about telling the story of the day .. look for the details too .. shoot the flowers, shoes, dress, kids, champagne etc in quieter moments.

User_Removed
21 Jul 2008 - 8:31 PM

Quote - am only just starting out so things likes f stops, ISO, exposure, metering etc is a totally foreign language to me.

The above statement in your about section of you profile would concern me as well. Its ok to have a limited knowledge of the fundamentals as we all have to start somewhere but to take on a wedding is a bit much at this stage for you. Photography is something that should be enjoyed and putting your self in this position of responsibility with no knowledge whatsoever could result in disaster and take out all the pleasure that photography can bring in ones life. Im just being honest as i dont want you to be in a position where you feel bad becuse you ruin someones day. james

nsrh
nsrh  6144 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jul 2008 - 8:31 PM


Quote: I note 3 problems from what you have wrote.

1. you will need far more memory cards
2. Your lenses are clearly not up to the job.
3. Shooting in jpeg is all very well if you have even soft lighting with enough exposure latitute to use the correct exposure but if it is very bright conditions raw could get you out of a lot of trouble.

james

OK so what lenses do you advise?

nsrh
nsrh  6144 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jul 2008 - 8:38 PM

I am not intending to ruin anyone's day!

They cannot afford a pro tog, they know I am not a pro tog, all they are asking is if I can take some shots instead of relying on family, all I am asking is for some advice to kit, shots etc. They are not expecting me to line people up etc. OK so I need more memory cards, shoot in RAW.

Kind regards

Nig

culturedcanvas
21 Jul 2008 - 8:42 PM

Just work with the lenses you have ... I could shoot a wedding on a Holga and come away with a perfectly good set of shots. You;re not doing this professionally and are not getting paid but are helping a friend ...

Try to scout the location in advance and look for some good places to do bride/groom shots and let the rest flow. Take a look at wedding photography sites on line and see shots you like .. then make a list of shots you want to get so you have a reminder with you on the day.

Dan Smile

Last Modified By culturedcanvas at 21 Jul 2008 - 8:43 PM
User_Removed
21 Jul 2008 - 8:43 PM


Quote: Quote:I note 3 problems from what you have wrote.

1. you will need far more memory cards
2. Your lenses are clearly not up to the job.
3. Shooting in jpeg is all very well if you have even soft lighting with enough exposure latitute to use the correct exposure but if it is very bright conditions raw could get you out of a lot of trouble.

jamesOK so what lenses do you advise?

Im not familiar with the nikon range of lenses but you will need a zoom that has a constant aperture of 2.8. You will also need a prime lens of at least f1.8 aperture for low light shots. sometimes it cn be to dark inside to even enable a lens of that light gathering ability to perform. Also you will need to use an f8 aperture for the group shots. Quite often you will need to use a high iso to get a fast enough shutter speed to get a shot with no blur in it. Your camera is not renowned for high iso performance. Iso 800 may well be needed for outdoor shots knowing the british weather and that is enough to create digital noise in your images and that coupled with the soft results your lenses produce could be enough to ruin the image.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2008 - 8:43 PM


Quote: Its ok to have a limited knowledge of the fundamentals as we all have to start somewhere but to take on a wedding is a bit much at this stage for you. Photography is something that should be enjoyed and putting your self in this position of responsibility with no knowledge whatsoever could result in disaster and take out all the pleasure that photography can bring in ones life

lol.... you can talk...Wink

nsrh
nsrh  6144 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jul 2008 - 8:48 PM


Quote: Then dont worry about it ... as mentioned shooting raw can get you out of trouble for the important shots. Lots dont bother ... but I do. That said you need the space (storage) and you are lacking ... id buy a cheap 4gb memory card from somewhere to ensure you have extra storage and can fire off more shots. A couple of 2gb might be better if your using two bodies.

Scout the location as soon as you get there. Ensure you get a couple of formals too if you can. be ocnfident and get the best man to give you a hand roudning people up.

Double check your kit on the morning .. keep bth cameras in use with different lenses on each .. a wide and a longer focal length to give you a chance to pick up more shots.

Other than that relax and enjoy it ... try and think about telling the story of the day .. look for the details too .. shoot the flowers, shoes, dress, kids, champagne etc in quieter moments.

Thanks for the advice, was going to put the nikkor 18-135mm on one body and the 60mm on another, I will grab a couple more memory cards and shoot RAW.

Kind regards
Nig

User_Removed
21 Jul 2008 - 8:51 PM


Quote: Quote:Its ok to have a limited knowledge of the fundamentals as we all have to start somewhere but to take on a wedding is a bit much at this stage for you. Photography is something that should be enjoyed and putting your self in this position of responsibility with no knowledge whatsoever could result in disaster and take out all the pleasure that photography can bring in ones lifelol.... you can talk...

Your a cheeky bugger. I must be doing something right, look at all the tidy birds that have posed for me. james

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85789 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2008 - 9:02 PM

"tidy birds" - not the most professional reference to the women you've photographed? I hope they're not reading this unless they're happy being referred to that way!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.