Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding Candid Shots

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MikeH
MikeH  9217 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2006 - 11:02 PM

Any advice for taking candid shots at a wedding I am going to soon. I have a D70 and intend using my 80-400Vr lens as I want to be as unobtrusive as possible. I had also thought about using an instant printer in the evening to sell some pics.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Apr 2006 - 11:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

srt202
srt202  8
15 Apr 2006 - 11:26 PM

80-400mm Hope the wedding is out side. JK

I have been asked to do the same thing at my brother inlaws wedding next month, at first they wanted me to do the formals and stuff. I told him not a snow balls chance in hell.

I was planning on taking my 70-210mm Rokkor,50mm Rok, and a
28mm or 35mm.

I dont think a wedding is the place to sell your pics though.

Sus
Sus  103183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2006 - 12:01 AM

I would be surprised if the couple would want you selling pictures at their evening reception. Strikes me as very tacky.

Centurion
Centurion  91243 forum posts England
16 Apr 2006 - 1:04 AM

I dont see it as tacky but I would provide a frame too.

IMO 80-400 is far to long for use in a wedding. I suggest you try taking a wide angle and something like a 50-200.

Gav

scottishphototours

Mike,

You'd BETTER make sure you have the B&G's permission to sell stuff at their wedding beforehand - if not they could be mighty offended.

In my experience (and this maybe a Scots thing) very few photographers offer prints for sale at a wedding, I know I've never done it ! - strikes me as being too tacky personally.

The 80-400 may not be the best choice - I use an 85mm prime lens for walkabout candids during the whole day.

Good luck.

Chris_H
Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2006 - 3:48 AM

As said before you will struggle to use 80-400mm due to lack of light and even if it is outside you would more than likley only be able to use the 80mm ish end as you will more than likley need to use fill in flash.

Selling prints I think is tacky, even if the bride and groom agree to it you will more than likley get one of the guests who are pissed will let you know what they think.
You would also find you have very little time, with slightly larger weddings you will find you have no time to even look at your files, it can be quite common to shoot from 10:00 am to midnight with little time to even grab something to eat and drink.
If you are planning on shooting raw just going through your images and preparing them will probably take days to do.
Hope this helps.

Chris

mipettin
mipettin  10884 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2006 - 8:18 AM

Hi Mike

As you have a camera with a 1.5 crop factor then a 70-200 or similar (I used a 80-200) is more than enough length for candids. At a wedding last weekend - most of my candids were in the 100-150 range.

Found it difficult to be unobtrusive though as my 80-200 f/2.8 lens is a big black monster and for outdoors a 70-200 f/4 would have been plenty fast enough and not so noticeable. Indoor however the 2.8 aperture was essential and I shot a lot of indoor images at 2.8 and a ISO of 1600 or in some cases 3200 - yep it was that dark in the Abbey and Reception. During the reception I was shooting at 1600 and 3200 with flash, at the ceremony flash was banned. Your VR lens maybe useful if you are shooting the ceremony fron the end of the aisle for instance - if the wedding is in a church.

What I would be more concerned about is whether the main photographer - assuming there is one is okay with your plan - a lot of pro togs will ask as part of the contract that other guests do not interfere with their work on the day and you proposing to sell prints in the evening (I agree - very tacky) may not go down well as it could hurt the number of reprints that they get. Also if your using an instant printer is it a dye sub for proper archival quality of prints. Agree with Chris H though - I take about a week to go through approx 200 images from a wedding - to colour correct, maybe a bit of cloning, of course a little cropping, skin softening, selective sharpening etc.

Also were you going to set up with your little print station - has this been cleared with the hotel. Whatever happens would like to hear about your experience and see some of your candids.

Cheers

Martin

Martin3026
19 Apr 2006 - 5:47 AM

Go ahead and shoot the day and enjoy the experience. However as for setting up and selling the prints I too consider this to be tacky. I don't know of a single pro photographer that does this and i'm pretty sure it's not because they haven't thought about it.

I'd be very suprised if you had the time to organise it properly (unless you have an army of helpers). Also with electronics comes wires which people have a tendancy to fall over (especially hotel staff). Along with this problem comes being sued, most public liability insurance would not cover you if you didn't have permission (I presume you have public liability). If there were a problem the tax man would probably need to see the receipts for money taken etc.

The problems get more and more invloved. If uncle Bob decides to give you a lesson on his ideas about photography and accidently knocks his Guinness over your laptop who do you go to for reimbursement?

As is said before take the pictures and if neccessary print some cards with a web address where people can view the images.

wotashot
wotashot  102249 forum posts
19 Apr 2006 - 5:50 AM

Where's frosty?

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2006 - 7:01 AM

Mike,

I use 50mm f1.4 for the indoor work and 35-350mm for the outside candids. You will find the extra length will help no end with candids.
Just to open another can of worms (waits for the backlash) shoot it in jpeg not raw, if you are going to rattle off 300+ shots (I normally do 1000-1,500) just makes the editing process that much easier.

Carl

Sus
Sus  103183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2006 - 9:12 AM

Are you sick of having to attend all weddings of your wife's friends' and are making sure you are not invited to any more?!Smile

A friend has asked my advice about online galleries where guests can upload photographs after their wedding - I think the main requirement is all in one place and downloadable, rather than a printing service - I was able to recommend them a few found by searching on epz - along the lines of photobox and flikr. I thought it was a fantastic idea!

matt5791
matt5791  10747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2006 - 6:57 AM

Quote: In my experience (and this maybe a Scots thing) very few photographers offer prints for sale at a wedding, I know I've never done it ! - strikes me as being too tacky personally.

It used to be standard practice to have a full range of proofs on a board by the end of the reception. I know my parents had this (1968) and most of the weddings they went to in those days.

Matt

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2006 - 8:13 AM

I am here jamie, still not done a wedding as the event photography is so busy now (30% rise in takings since dyesub added), but have you seen the kodak advertorial in pro photographer. a tog took his kodak printer to the evening do and took 2000 pounds worth of orders. tacky who cares the money is the important thing

paul_indigo
21 Apr 2006 - 8:46 AM

Tacky and fraught with problems. Do people going to a wedding carry cash on them? If not you've got to be able to take plastic payment. I think it works for events but not weddings. Different atmosphere, different public and if you don't have permission from the venue, the bride and groom and the wedding photographer it's really asking for trouble.

matt5791
matt5791  10747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2006 - 10:20 AM

You would require an assistant to deal with the takings too (and if you have an assistant they might be better spent helping capture shots instead). Whilst what I said about the 60's above is true, the style of photography was different and would have rounded off well before the end of the reception.

I am shooting 10 weddings this year and I will be shooting up to and during the dancing well towards the end of the reception so no time to deal with prints.

Better plan - hand out cards with your website address on directing the guests to buy their prints off the site in the following week.

Matt

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.