Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding Packages? Groupon Advertising?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
1 Mar 2013 - 4:04 PM

I have noticed that over the last few months there are a few groupon style businesses starting up some with portrait photography deals. I am wondering if this could be a good way of getting weddings. I met a person recently who has started working for one of these companys and he says that the way it works is that they sell so many vouchers to people for the full price and take there percentage and pay me the client all the money up front before i have even done the job. It sounds like a good idea but how successful would this sort of advertising be for a wedding photography business? has anyone had any experience of using a company like this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Mar 2013 - 4:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA
MikeA  91174 forum posts England
1 Mar 2013 - 4:25 PM

LOL,,,, Wedding togs will love this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21634134

Last Modified By MikeA at 1 Mar 2013 - 4:26 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 4:27 PM

Not sure how it would work for weddings with small companies with few photographers. A portrait photographer could possibly offer the service because he could satisfy any demand by being versatile with diary and the customer could be flexible about date so the voucher and discount would be worth paying up front, but pay for a wedding and it has to be done on the planned date. All it needs is three vouchers to be bought for the same date and the solo photographer is in trouble. I bought a boiler service using that system and the job was fulfilled by a company who had loads of subcontractors, so a date could be agreed, even so it was within a three week range. You cant do that with a wedding.

contemporary dave

Groupon's bubble bursting was predicted many many moons ago.

The problem is with this sort of thing is that you offer a cheap deal, it only attracts people on low incomes (of which none of it is disposable) or freeloaders.

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
1 Mar 2013 - 5:33 PM

I just think that maybe people will book impulsively meaning i can secure work without worrying about them comparing me to other photographers?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 5:39 PM

That statement just proves you are a wind up

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
1 Mar 2013 - 5:56 PM

Come on keith, i dont know how to wind people up. I am being serious. Some people get engaged then book there venue then see a photography offer before they even start looking photographer and just book it. thats the plan anyway.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 6:03 PM

You want to put your services on a bulk buying deal so that, and lets be generous here...four people can book you on a vastly discounted profit cutting rate and that's good because they won't have compared your work against some other cut price wedding photographer.

I won't repeat myself.

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
1 Mar 2013 - 6:47 PM

The man that i spoke to explained that what they do is put your price up a few hundred pounds then put a discount on it that means that it is not really any cheaper than what it would be so the people think they are getting a dicounted deal but they are not.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 6:49 PM

Tum te tum te tum te tum ............................ sounds of whistling as bullet flies past ear .................. thud ............................ One less cut price wedding tog to worry about ... nice shot keith

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 6:50 PM

Quote: The man that i spoke to explained that what they do is put your price up a few hundred pounds then put a discount on it that means that it is not really any cheaper than what it would be so the people think they are getting a dicounted deal but they are not.

and thats why they are going under ....

Paul_Anthony
1 Mar 2013 - 6:51 PM

Crack on Lucian... what have you got to loose... Grin

Paul_Anthony
1 Mar 2013 - 6:58 PM

Quote: The man that i spoke to explained that what they do is put your price up a few hundred pounds then put a discount on it that means that it is not really any cheaper than what it would be so the people think they are getting a dicounted deal but they are not.

Absolute rubbish. We regularly feature on Group On for Portrait Deals and this is NOT the case. It only works if your deal is clever enough not to give too much away in the first instance and then up-sell to your clients afterwards. They have worked really well for us, bringing in clients that we would not have had otherwise. The real value id getting repeat business and recomendations from the clients that Group On have sent your way.

It wont work so well for a wedding deal, as they will want you to give away comprehensive coverage, an album and probably a CD all in the initial deal, you will have nothing to up-sell afterwards. Unless you can hatch a cunning deal in that brain of yours...

Smile

keithh
1 Mar 2013 - 7:00 PM

Casually whistling same tune as pulsar as I re-load a 120 shot magazine.

Last Modified By keithh at 1 Mar 2013 - 7:02 PM
Ganto
Ganto  8769 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 7:59 PM

120 film?? Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.