Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding Packages? Groupon Advertising?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

scottishphototours

Brides booking photographers impulsively after seeing a Groupon advert???....my God, I've heard it all now...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Mar 2013 - 8:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul_Anthony
1 Mar 2013 - 8:27 PM

Quote: The problem is with this sort of thing is that you offer a cheap deal, it only attracts people on low incomes (of which none of it is disposable) or freeloaders.

Not quite right there. The majority of Groupon customers are working families and stay at home mums with money to spend. We hardly ever fail to up-sell to a Groupon client, of course there is the occasion where they take there free prints only but I would say we average a sale of 250 per Groupon shoot, not exactly setting the world on fire I know, but the high street is a difficult place to be at the moment.

As I said previously, the real value is in the repeat business and when you get the reccomendations..

Paul

Last Modified By Paul_Anthony at 1 Mar 2013 - 8:28 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 8:32 PM

not done Groupon, but did Living Social for my Discover Leeds workshops

got plenty people through the doors

worked out a reasonable earner

a few have become "regular workshop customers"

weddings.... hmmm.... remember that Groupon reduce your price by over 50%, then take over 50% of that...

so if you were going out at 1000 - say

your offer price would be 500 to the couple

Your "payment" from Groupon would be 200-250 (they have other fees - be wary)

Can't beat shooting all day, then editing for less than minimum wage Wink

Paul_Anthony
1 Mar 2013 - 8:41 PM

The best deal we have had on Groupon was a Watch Me Grow Package.

Three shoots over Three years with one print from each shoot, we only make 7.60 from each deal. But the clients are coming back three times, we put together a series of packages just for our Groupon WMG clients, they get a deal, we get a guaranteed sale for each shoot. We capped the deal at 99 and it sold out in 4 hours. Thats almost 300 shoots, all with Newborns and Babies.

We have also featured with Family Photoshoots and our next deal will be a Bump to Baby deal, it will be featuring in the Cardiff and Swansea areas on Wednesday next week.

Personally, I have nothing but good things to say about them, as long as you get the deal right it will work for you.

Weddings deals are a no no in my opinion, as Ade says, theres just not enough potential in them.

Paul

Lucian
Lucian  4539 forum posts
1 Mar 2013 - 9:11 PM

the company that i spoke to are like groupon but only take 30%. Wedding bookings are bad this year for no apparent reason.

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111531 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 9:22 PM

Quote: Wedding bookings are bad this year for no apparent reason.

LOL Grin

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 9:25 PM

what was the specific deal ?

you need these figures.,...

1 - your normal price
2 - the offer price
3 - the money you will get for each deal sold

from that you can work out if it's worth doing or not

for my workshops I can get 15-20 on each - which means it scales up to a "reasonable" sum - not great, but off set the marketing costs of getting those 15-20 the traditional route, and it starts to make more sense.

for a wedding, I can't really see how it can work effectively

even if you double your "normal price", you end up with an "offer price" of your 1/2 or less of your "normal price" - then subtract commissions....

it's not as if you can get 3 weddings in a day.... time/logistics doesn't really allow for that

ade_mcfade
1 Mar 2013 - 9:26 PM

you end up filling the rest of the year with very low profit weddings, which have to be done as part of the contract, and no time for your "proper" weddings

rearrange the words

"of" "out" and "business"

Paul_Anthony
2 Mar 2013 - 8:53 AM

Quote: The company that i spoke to are like groupon but only take 30%.

Which company is it? Why title the thread 'Wedding Packages? Groupon Advertising?' if it has nothing to do with them.

Group on have that many photographers wanting to feature that they are now insisting on taking 100% of the deal price. Thats fine if you know you can up-sell and you shouldn't let it put you off if you think you can up-sell.

As you have posted on here for advise and people are obviously willing to give it why don't you tell us what kind of deal you are planning for weddings.

Coverage? -
Products? -
etc. ....

You will get some feedback then on whether or not it is worth it. I don't think it is but if you have some cunning deal up your sleeve they it may work for you.

Paul

Lucian
Lucian  4539 forum posts
2 Mar 2013 - 10:26 AM

I cant remember the company but they are the same sort of company as groupon. I dont know what sort of deal i would do. Probably get them to say i was 2000 and they could book me for 1000.

Paul_Anthony
2 Mar 2013 - 12:12 PM

They will want to see evidence of your prices on your website or printed price lists. Also they often ask for proof that you have sold packages at the price you are quoting before they will feature you. They have to cover their ar**s after all, one of the problems this kind of company have experienced in the past is falsely stating that their Partners (you) have sold packages / items / experiences at a higher price then they actually do, it's false advertising and misleading.

I very much doubt they would allow you to sell a package for more than you currently sell them. It's ridiculous to think that they will allow you to pluck a price out of the air and feature you on their site.

Paul

thewilliam
2 Mar 2013 - 2:29 PM

I read somewhere than Groupon is in trouble and it's a mystery to me just how they manage to get into this state.

Groupon has been scrutinized by Trading standards enough times that they take great pains to be squeaky clean. Merchants who try to fiddle Groupon can expect to find themselves deep in the brown matter.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 2 Mar 2013 - 2:31 PM
MikeA
MikeA  91166 forum posts England
2 Mar 2013 - 2:39 PM

Quote: I read somewhere than Groupon is in trouble and it's a mystery to me just how they manage to get into this state.

Maybe you clicked on the link in the second post of this thread....... LOL

dandeakin
dandeakin  6200 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2013 - 3:17 PM

Quote: I just think that maybe people will book impulsively meaning i can secure work without worrying about them comparing me to other photographers?

Epic !

Last Modified By dandeakin at 2 Mar 2013 - 7:48 PM
thewilliam
2 Mar 2013 - 3:52 PM

There are people who buy something just because it's on special offer. The greater the "saving", the greater the possibility that such a punter will buy.

It seems that a lot of Groupon deals are never redeemed.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.