Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding Photographer being Sued!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
21 Apr 2013 - 1:17 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312026/With-camera-I-thee-behead-Couple...

Did anyone read the news papers yesterday regarding the photographer who is being sued for producing poor wedding photos. I spoke to the bride in question on facebook the other day and found out that the photographer used 1/60th second f32 iso 6400 for most of the shots.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Apr 2013 - 1:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
21 Apr 2013 - 1:56 PM

Wasn't you Lucian, was it? (8o)

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
21 Apr 2013 - 1:59 PM

No it was not me.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2013 - 2:55 PM

As has been said , pay peanuts get monkeys.... They probably also have a flooded bathroom , a car with the wrong wheels , 13 lots of household insurance , 70 ppi claims ongoing and a 13 amp fuse running their house with gerbil bedding for insulation.

If you are going to employ what should be professional trades purely based on the best price off any old joe bloggs you can get then you deserve everything you get no way should they be allowed to claim for another reception on insurance and the chances are the tog wont have any anyway..

p.s Lucian why did you feel the need to contact this bride ?

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2013 - 3:20 PM

And both parties think it is all so easy.

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
21 Apr 2013 - 3:30 PM

They had created a facebook page so people could share their bad experiences with wedding photographers. What had happened was they were recommended this photographer by an aquintance on the understanding that the photographer had been to college and had qualifications. They supposedly had a 500 budget but the photographer told them they would only be charged 100 if the photos could be used for her portfolio. They met with the photographer before the wedding to discuss what they wanted.

I highlighted to the bride the things she should consider before booking a wedding photographer and she told me that as she was not a photographer and was an ordinary member of the public so she could not possibly know what to ask a photographer. She told me that because she had been recommended the photographer then she had no reason to doubt the photographers ability, despite the fact the photographer had never photographed a wedding before. She said she thought it was like booking an electrician, if you are recommended someone then you can expect a professional service.

It turns out the photographer had not even been to college to study photography despite telling the couple she had done. The exif date on the images was unbelievable. It was an entry level Nikon with kit lens and built in flash that was used. Every photo was terrible.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2013 - 3:36 PM

Not sure they got what they paid for Grin But the photographer in question should give them their peanuts back that's for sure.

Maybe even go the extra mile and get some of them scrummy chocolate coated peanuts....Smile

The real problem though is people, Makes no odds what the subject is, Some will always look for the cheapest option, Or go down the road of D I Y.

Take a small example and one that has been exploited by millions of D I Y bods, That of motor car maintenance, Yup! For years hundreds of people tinkering with their cars on a weekend, Just to save a few bucks by doing the garage out of a few bucks, It has been going on for years with little or no publicity.

I know for a fact that several " Fatal " car crashes involved dodgy workmanship carried out by the vehicle owners, The desire to save a few bob killed them stone dead.....Sad Unfortunately the also killed someone else in the process....!!!

So whilst you can't imagine someone being killed by a dodgy camera, The point is the same, It really is about time the whole process of trading under any guise was tightened up, Maybe to the point of " Licensing " right across the board, From butcher to baker to photographer.

No licence, No job......Period.Wink

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2013 - 3:51 PM

It also sounds like you are getting a little overly involved with this Lucian , not really your place to be advising her and examining the photos ? if she has a problem with the photographer let her deal with it and keep a professional distance ...

Jestertheclown
21 Apr 2013 - 4:00 PM

Quote: It also sounds like you are getting a little overly involved with this Lucian , not really your place to be advising her and examining the photos ?

. . . unless you took them, of course?

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51174 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2013 - 4:12 PM

If the photographer had no insurance then she is possibly in for some hefty costs! However the court may take the view that if that is all they paid then they got exactly what they paid for! Funny thing the law.

Isn't this the way though for some. Flashy show off reception for your guests and just any old bod to photograph it! I knew someone who would turn up for two or three hours (extended lunch break!) and charge fifty quid. Pictures were crap and he didn't bother with insurance either.

Well I'm pleased to say I had a brides mother in tears today for all the right reasons! Smile

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2013 - 5:20 PM

It actually sounds like they knew exactly what they were getting, and if the photos were that important to them then why not stump more than 100 for them? Only got themselves to blame really.

catgirl73
catgirl73  6137 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Apr 2013 - 5:42 PM

My gosh really very shocked at these people, do they really take all advice given to them at 'face value'.

They certainly got what they paid for and have learnt a lesson in life.

Whatever you purchase you usually do a bit of research whether it's purchasing an item or hiring someone's services.

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
21 Apr 2013 - 6:20 PM

Cameracat
Agree whole heartedly with your comment so I will not repost.
I own a vehicle workshop and test for MOT.
I was a photographer first in qualification terms ( going back 35 yrs )
As I also do wedding photography,I note your comments as something I see in both my sources of income.

Graham

KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2013 - 6:40 PM

Seems to me a win, Win, win for wedding photographers, Need more like this to get the message over that there are no short cuts. Very hard to sympathise when they try to cut corners then blame the photographer.

scottishphototours

Lucian,

I have to agree with pulsar69 here, I don't know WHAT you are thinking about even contacting this woman. Just what did you hope to achieve by getting involved??? - absolute madness on your part if you ask me.

On a seperate point, KevSB is quite right. This is a great story for wedding photographers to gloat over.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.