Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding Photographer being Sued!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2013 - 11:13 AM

Think everyone should be sharing that link on Twitter and Facebook - get the message out that economy wedding togs should be avoided....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Apr 2013 - 11:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2013 - 11:35 AM

Just what I was about to do Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2013 - 11:36 AM

me too - just buffered it

779HOB
779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Apr 2013 - 12:38 PM

What figure constitutes a budget/economy wedding photographer - below what price?

ade_mcfade
22 Apr 2013 - 2:13 PM

it depends on the package - if you're getting "the works" for under 500, I'd be slightly concerned

by the "the works" it'd be the top package - full day, 2 togs, album, disc of edited shots for printing etc.

if you're doing a "shoot and burn" for a few hours, then 500 maybe about right

779HOB
22 Apr 2013 - 2:24 PM

Thanks - only wondering where my friend sits on the scale. Full day, one person, disc edited for printing. He charges about 500 I think.

ade_mcfade
22 Apr 2013 - 2:46 PM

That's pretty cheap for a full day's work and editing (which probably ends up being another day).

I charge more than double that for the same thing

779HOB
22 Apr 2013 - 2:53 PM

I don't think he takes anything like another day to edit. He's pretty busy and seems to have happy customers, which if he's cheap I guess he would have! So maybe he's cheap and good. Also I guess where you are based will make a difference. I do business portfolio shoots for 300 a day but I know I wouldn't get more than that around here and it's what others charge too.

ade_mcfade
22 Apr 2013 - 3:04 PM

He probably will be busy doing full day weddings at 500

Think I've only got 1 booked this year - it's not my core area, or an area I look to expand - just do the odd one on recommendation. Keeps my hand in Wink

Also, with being in 2 bands and running photography workshops, my weekends are busy enough!

Everyone's a bit covert with prices in W.Yorks... been a bit of a challenge doing the pricing for stuff, find it incredibly hard to strike the balance. I do business PR shoots where they get 5 shots of themselves for 250, they seem be pretty popular - and I've not had anyone moan about the cost... so it's probably too cheap lol

779HOB
22 Apr 2013 - 3:13 PM

Quote: been a bit of a challenge doing the pricing for stuff

Pricing is hard. I just looked at what others were charging. I wouldn't work for less than 300 a day.

I did a shoot for a large(ish) B&B at the weekend - I was there for 6 hours, have about 4 hours of editing I expect. They get all the images to use as they wish apart from resale and I get to use them too if I want. So I guess I am cheaper than you as your shots are 50 each and mine could be as low as 6! If they have 50 photos out of it, which most will if not more.

ade_mcfade
22 Apr 2013 - 3:26 PM

That's the thing... no one gives the prices away down here, not no their websites anyway... so unless you want to pretend to be a client and call around for quotes...

Guess that's why you get interns - get them to work all that out for you lol

the PR shoots have been brilliant - everyone who's experienced it loves them.

They always start out with them saying they hate their photo being taken... then we just fool around for an hour or 2 - get them to forget they are being photographed, and they get some really nice, natural shots... with my usual distinctive lighting. Which is an odd approach with company directors worth millions - but it seems to work... you just have to be good at reading people, see what they enjoy, then do more of that... and vice versa of course Wink

Though I think the lighting is what sells it... they see shots on the Tab and want a bit of that Wink

779HOB
22 Apr 2013 - 3:30 PM

Quote: so unless you want to pretend to be a client and call around for quotes...

That's what I'd do.

Sounds like you have some good clients up there, you're in Leeds aren't you? I'm sure the lighting is key along with how you approach them, deal with them. People buy people.

ade_mcfade
22 Apr 2013 - 3:37 PM

Slowly getting there - it's nearly 2.5 years now and only really starting to kick in properly now - long hard slog learning the business side of things.

I think you need to make things easy - I've now got priced packages online, people can see them and even click a button and pay for them online... saves you time talking to "bargain hunters" who waste lots of time.

Some things aren't worth doing for me - like individual headshots for Linked IN. Good if you've got a studio, let them come to you, get few shots and let them have the best one - 50 or whatever....

Without a studio... you've to drive over to them, set lights up, get the levels right, move stuff around.... drive home... not worth it for 1 person really. Hence doing the more "premium" PR packages.... where they choose anywhere they like!

779HOB
22 Apr 2013 - 3:41 PM

Yep I like the PR package idea - not sure I can sell that to farmers though!

When they buy online can they pick a date and time too?

ade_mcfade
22 Apr 2013 - 4:19 PM

not quite that advanced yet.... Wink

I prefer them to pay by bank transfer to avoid paypal charges, but it's good to give them the option as they may just buy on a whim

best one I did was Mike Biggs - son of great train robber Ronnie. He was meeting a mate in Leeds and we just got together for an hour and had a bit of fun around Leeds - mainly in a bike shed... so he could smoke!

he uses those shots all over now - as to I Wink

Farmers are an interesting one, I nearly did a butcher shoot where we were going to shoot him with the farmer and cattle he gets his meat from - need to see if their ready actually...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.