Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding Photography - Aargh!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110167 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2009 - 9:43 PM

Friends of ours from our camera club got married today and many of us attended the ceremony.

We were asked to bring cameras to get as many different shots as possible to compile a monster collage at the end.

Next thing I knew (just as the service was about to start) I was told I was the official photographer (they hadn't hired a professional!)

If there is one thing that puts the fear of god into me its wedding photography - I just don't have a clue and the dreadful responsibility of trying to record such an important - event = double Aaaargh!.

So, I ran through the usual story of ****-ups and woe, including my 2nd set of flash batteries running flat half way through (luckily one of my more organised buddies had a spare set)

I struggled through the service and meal (had to leave before the party as we have family coming tonight - phew! Smile )

So, here I am, with indigestion from a bolted meal, scraping the brown stains off me kecks and trying to make something of some rather not very good images.

Wedding Photography - the professionals are welcome to it - I'm sticking with me birds and bees.

(thanks for letting me ramble - I've got two weeks to sort this lot before they return - HELP! Smile )

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 May 2009 - 9:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Kris_Dutson
23 May 2009 - 9:45 PM

Lol - guess I won't be seeing you at Sherborne Castle fair on Monday then Brian. Wink

User_Removed
23 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

It grabs your attention doesn't it?

lol

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

Well' I wouldn't have said they were very good friends to drop that on you at the last minute! I really hope you got some good shots, but serve them right if you didn't.

trivets12
trivets12  101149 forum posts
23 May 2009 - 11:47 PM

I think they've got a damn cheek, actually! This happened to a friend of mine who was invited to a wedding. They asked if he would bring his camera, to which he said he probably would. When he got there, the registrars said 'ah, you must be the photographer' and he was consequently lumbered with shooting the entire day. I think their friendship is now defunct, as they placed him in a really awkward situation at which he didn't feel able to cope with. Then they expected all of the images free of charge!
To say he was p.....ed off at not only being taken advantage of, but also he now realises he was only invited so he could shoot some images.
A real friend would never do that, in my opinion.

Jay44
Jay44  81443 forum posts Wales
24 May 2009 - 12:00 AM

Quote: I really hope you got some good shots, but serve them right if you didn't.

Hear, hear!

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

I learned to say no, I wont be bringing the camera.....I know from experience this sort of thing is very likely to happen, my excuse is that I tend to break or loose my cameras when I have to much to drink at the reception... bla bla bla Smile and then I do anyway LOL but by then they have organised some other punter or a pro to do the work. which leaves me free of responsibilities and worries.
However! comparing shots afterwards on more than one occasion my work has been preferred to that of the so called pro! and then they expect the negatives or copies for free! tricky but I end up asking more money than the pro charged, they soon change their mind though!

People are very keen to get everything as cheap as poss even if it means taking advantage of friends and family and this can lead to fallouts and arguments, best to avoid such situations, unless of course its something you really want to do for them and are not to bothered with the results.

Picture_Newport

I never make the mistake of taking my camera to a wedding I have been invited too and definatley avoid entering into conversations regarding wedding photography with the inviters before their wedding. As soon as I am asked if I will be taking a camera along I just say no and that I am having a day at a wedding without a camera in my hand.

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

Brian, hope you're lying down in a darkened room now recovering, that sounds like my worst nightmare!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014723 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 11:45 AM

If I'm ever invited to a wedding, I take the camera, get lots of shots, make a BLURB book and give it to them as a present Smile

On one or 2 occasions, people have bought extra copies too - he he, very naughty.... but hey, if the official tog's shots didn't cut it, then why not profit Smile

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 24 May 2009 - 11:45 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

Quote: Friends of ours from our camera club got married today and many of us attended the ceremony.

Next thing I knew (just as the service was about to start) I was told I was the official photographer (they hadn't hired a professional!)

Sounds like they planned this! Hmm....

Well, they deserve whatever they get! Grin

Picture_Newport
24 May 2009 - 12:01 PM

Quote: If I'm ever invited to a wedding, I take the camera, get lots of shots, make a BLURB book and give it to them as a present

On one or 2 occasions, people have bought extra copies too - he he, very naughty.... but hey, if the official tog's shots didn't cut it, then why not profit

What a really nice thing to do and a good idea... Smile

Still not for me though, sometimes it is nice just to be a guest.

thewilliam
24 May 2009 - 1:10 PM

There's nothing more dangerous than a little knowledge!

I used to do wedding photography and it's a tough way to earn a crust. It's a great responsibility for the principal photographer and not something that should be dropped on a friend at the last minute.

A couple of decades ago, some people I knew invited my then girlfriend, but not me, to their wedding. When they saw that my girlfriend had taken one of my (professional-grade) cameras along with her, they immediately appointed her photographer in a very public way that gave her no option but to agree.

When the couple were told that they'd have to pay for the pix, they weren't interested in even looking at them, let alone buying any and that was in the days of film!

As the Bible says, "just shake the dust from your feet and move on"

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 1:12 PM

Quote: As the Bible says, "just shake the dust from your feet and move on"

Or........... just take a compact. Nobody will bother you! Wink

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110167 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2009 - 2:03 PM

Fair do'es to my friends (and yes, they are real friends) I suspect there was a bit of a "Senior Moment" involved where I was concerned as they seemed sure that I had agreed to do it (where was I when my mouth agreed to something so insane? Smile )

After several hours in the "Darkened Room" I seem to have a few usable shots but I'm hoping that there are some better images from the other members of the club (who sat there giggling as they watched me struggle)

I think I may end up doing a series of monochrome Grunge Wedding images for them to cover the service section (it will hide the noise and softness of trying to shoot at ISO 3200 at around 1/50th sec with a 200 mm lens!)

To make up for it I have spent the morning shooting my grandson and his dad playing on the beach - much more fun. (those poor Groggles that struggled down to Christchurch this morning, only to find queues for all the car parks - its great being a local Smile )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 24 May 2009 - 2:04 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.