Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding Photography...Best camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Rahiila
5 Nov 2013 - 3:11 PM

Hi all...

I am very new to this webpage and have just come across the forums. I wanted your advice, any advice is appreciated Smile

I am a beginner photographer and would really like to focus on wedding photography, portraits, couple shoots etc. and am looking for a decent dslr at a reasonable price. At the moment, i have used/ am using a Nikon D3100 but i really like Canon as i handled it once before Grin

I am in no way a wedding photographer...but in the near future, i would like to assist a photographer to gain more skills and knowledge so would like to make an investment in a good camera which i can have for a while. Any reccomendations? Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Nov 2013 - 3:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123785 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 3:33 PM

The answer is probably as long as a list of epz members; FYI I use a NIkon D3s and D800 backed up by a Fuji X-Pro1 & X100 just in case.

I would prefer a camera that has great high ISO performance and preferably writes to two cards; dunno about Canons but for example I wouldn't feel disadvantaged if on a low budget I was using a pair of s/h Nikon D7000s instead of the above.

G'luck with your choice.

Peter.

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6510 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 3:55 PM

I am no expert but as a beginner in photography I would not consider weddings at the moment, I have done two for friends and felt a little out of my depth and will not be doing another, there is so much more to deal with than just the photography side of things so at least wait until you are more experienced with what ever camera you chose.

TonyBrooks
5 Nov 2013 - 4:36 PM

Its not the camera its the person behind it don't be fooled into buying expensive Models

Regards

Tony

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 5:08 PM

It sounds to me like the limitation is not the camera but your abilities (I don't mean to be rude, just that the nature of your question suggests you have not pushed the 3100 to its limits yet) - I would advise buying any gear only because you know what your current gear is not giving you. And even then I would suggest lens first then body: a body can only record the light that the lens sends to it and it is the lens that gives creativity such as depth of field and width of view. The body gives you functionality such as superfast shutter speeds, number of stops of auto exposure bracketing, weather proofing etc. and you don't know what functions you need until you try your chosen field.
Personally I think your 3100 is absolutely fine if you are assisting a professional and they may even be able to lend you a lens to use. Then work out what you need to buy from there.

As for the Canon v Nikon argument - very little to choose between them. Even as a Canon user I would say that Nikon have the edge when it comes to noise performance in low light but even then the differences are not critical (if they were, no professionals would be using Canon!). It all comes down to ergonomics, both physical (body shape etc) and user interface.

Last Modified By mikehit at 5 Nov 2013 - 5:09 PM
thewilliam
5 Nov 2013 - 6:28 PM

One good friend updated his camera bodies with D800 because he was making a lot of really big albums where a double-page spread could be up to 40 inches wide. Many colleagues use D4 bodies because they have excellent high ISO performance and can withstand the rigours of professional life. A single-digit Nikon will usually work after it's been dropped!

The D3100 gives excellent image quality but was never intended for the hard use of professional life. Nikon doesn't make a bad camera, with the possible exception of the D600, which has now been replaced by the more reliable D610. You could use the D3100 until experience has given you a clear idea of what you want in a camera.

The lens choice is more important because it's what determines image quality. The "professional" lenses give top quality for a long, long life whereas lesser marques and models don't maintain their "straight out of the box" image quality.

When She-who-must-be-obeyed set up her wedding photography business, she had a trio of the current single-digit Nikon bodies and a good set of glassware. Before that, she was using company kit which she hated, although it was some of the best available. Life is easier when you have good kit.

Be sure to allocate some of the budget for training.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41106 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 7:25 PM

Quote: Its not the camera its the person behind it don't be fooled into buying expensive Models

Yes true to a degree, but like all good tradesmen you need good tools, I would not go to a wedding with my i phone for example and and state your statement.

I use Canon personally and love the ease of use only Canon has, I have owned Nikon, Olympus too and found them hard work to navigate.

I use the canon full frame 5D mkiii and love it, I did own the 5D mkii also and loved that as well, coupled with a great L lens that has the correct focal length for all situations and you have a great set up.

Weddings are hard work make no mistake, exhausting, nerve racking, and stressful, you miss that shot that everyone expects in the Album and your name will be mud.

The right tools for the job is needed here.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 8:54 PM

Don't forget that whatever camera you buy will be better than wedding photographers were raving about (and producing the goods on) ten years ago.

Invest in good lenses and learn how to use whatever camera you get really well. A correctly exposed image is the bedrock of a quality end product and your current camera, if used skilfully, will deliver in most situations.

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 9:18 PM

How about you use E2 membership option of up loading 16 or there about, Of your finest images to your portfolio..!!!

That way we can visually get some idea where your at with the D3100.

You might be wise to have a word with a careers advisor, Photography has changed dramatically over the last 10 to 15 years, There is now 10.000 photographers chasing every wedding event, That figure is on the up, A half decent accountant might advise keeping photography as a nice little hobby, But getting a job in almost any other field would be a better long term goal.

Tip, Being an assistant in wedding work means carrying the tripod and camera bags, Holding reflectors or Speedlight's, Getting the groups into so semblance of order, Listening, Observing and doing as your told, For that you will not need a camera, Because that's how it goes until you know what's what, Could be years before you would be allowed to play with the cameras.

In between times, Learn your current camera inside out and backwards, Until you can use it blindfolded.

Wink

scottishphototours

At your stage of the game I'd be more interested in getting yourself a couple of quality lenses and learning how to use them....the classic 50mm and 85mm portrait lengths maybe a good start. You can screw these onto any camera body and make the same pictures, so learning what lenses do is key to your future.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51147 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 11:03 PM

You will need something that is a tough workhorse because they do get a huge amount of use and just (perhaps) a little abuse. I use a D800 my partner uses the D4 and we both have back ups. Mine is the D300s and his is the D300 and we both use very good quality lenses with our cameras. You will need to consider image quality in low light situations and both the D800 and D4 perform exceptionally well under these circumstances.
Learn as much as you can. Read all you can and get to know your camera, as everyone has said, so you are completely competent in fast paced situations.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 11:49 PM

What is wrong with the kit you already have ?

Are you using you current camera to its full potential and along with your own skills.

You don`t need expensive fancy kit to shoot a wedding.

thewilliam
6 Nov 2013 - 12:19 AM

Yes it's true that a competent photographer can get results with pretty well any camera. My good friend Gerry Coe gained another Fellowship of BIPP with a set of fine-art prints that he took with his mobile phone. The pix were stunning and the FBIPP could never have been in doubt.

BUT, at one wedding where I was assisting She-who-must-be-obeyed, an Uncle Bob came up to me and announced that he wouldn't be getting in our way. The reason? He'd looked at the kit and come to the conclusion that She-who-must-be-obeyed must be a high-end photographer because all her kit was top-end.

G-d help the poor snapper who turned up with a D3000 and kit lens!

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2013 - 12:26 AM

Most guests wouldn't know if it was a kit lens or what it was. If you walk like a wedding photographer, talk like one, and act like one....the guests will figure that you are one. The only guest to question your ability based upon your choice of camera will be the EPZ member at the wedding.

EG
EG  4 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 - 8:45 AM

Use any camera you want as it will come down to skill ,ability and confidence . As long as you are confident with yout Nikon 3100 and know your way around it you wont have a problem.

Good luck lets see some results when you decide

Eddie

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.