Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding Photography! I have had enough!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: time please
Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
31 Mar 2013 - 3:00 PM

I am now thinking about finding an alternative career. I used to be so motivated to photograph weddings but i think i am loosing the will to be a wedding photographer now. I have consulted 8 couples recently and have not been booked by one of them. One of them thought i done weddings at a certain price when all she had done was got me mixed up with another photographer. A few started saying they had been given cheaper quotes and a couple said that some photographers included a cd in their package for less money, there was even one couple who had booked to very expensive wedding cars to make a 5 minute journey to their venue yet they did not want to spend more than 400.00 on photos.
I have always tried to find a balance between being competively priced and giving good quality photography but am now beginning to question why i am a wedding photographer and am becoming disheartened with the current situation. I have got 16 less bookings this year as i did last year and have had to get a part time job to suppliment my income, this is something i never thought i would have to do. I am now beginning to wonder if the future of wedding photography is about doing as many 300 packages as possible and abandoning the quality wedding album packages that cost more. Rant over.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Mar 2013 - 3:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

We've now been forced to give away 350 worth of albums and cd's to keep business coming in and away from the crap snappers who have ruined things for everyone.

Your business model was all wrong from the start if you ask me...

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
31 Mar 2013 - 3:44 PM

If you are a skilled photographer and a savvy businessman (or woman), then there is still scope to make a great career out of it.

A friend of mine is generally regarded as being one of the very best wedding and portrait photographers in Scotland (if not the entire UK) and his business seems to be really thriving. I think he said he did over 90 weddings last year and he only takes on those that are in the very top venues where, clearly, quality is appreciated and cost is not a prohibitive issue. (One of his pics - of Jamie Murray's wedding (Andy's brother) at Cromlix House regularly appears in the quality national press.)

Last Modified By Gundog at 31 Mar 2013 - 3:51 PM
Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
31 Mar 2013 - 3:53 PM

Quote: We've now been forced to give away 350 worth of albums and cd's to keep business coming in and away from the crap snappers who have ruined things for everyone.

Your business model was all wrong from the start if you ask me...

I dont know how you think my business model was wrong. I had lots of websites seo for different regions and i got a lot of work from them. It was working but for some reason is not working any more and i dont know why. We have been in recession for long enough now and i have been doing just fine but not any more. I am wasting so much time travelling to show people my albums and am spending less time photographing weddings so i dont see the point in going on.

I notice that after i mentioned groupon recently i noticed you were doing a groupon style deal with some company. How did that go?

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
31 Mar 2013 - 3:55 PM

Is it 350 per wedding you have been giving away Andy. Or 350.00 in total because people will say they will go somewhere else. I dont understand?

daviewat
daviewat  114104 forum posts Scotland
31 Mar 2013 - 4:11 PM

Maybay the future is about cheaper packages indeed. Just like cheaper kitchens/bathrooms etc etc have been the norm now for years !!!!!!!!! A car is a different matter as not many get to sit in a truly luxurious one often, but anyone can own a camera and to be fair most couples just want a nice reminder of the day not a piece of art !!!!!!!!!

So again perhaps a cheaper package form is the way for the majority. Obvioulsy there will be clients who do want more and rightly so get that.

contemporary dave

I'll be honest and say first that I haven't seen your work, website or your prices, so I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but the problem might lie with your marketing and/or pricing?

From reading your original post, clients are not booking you because they want a cheap deal. That says to me you are attracting the wrong type of customer. At the lower end of the market, people make a buying decision based on how cheap you are, rather than the quality of your work. At the higher end of the market, people are more interested in the quality of the product/service. Often, high end clients can be put off a product or a service if its too cheap, because they will perceive it as an inferior quality (when it actually may not be).

I'm a portrait photographer and some years ago, I decided I wasn't going to hit the lower end of the market anymore and instead, I targeted the mid-high end of the market, where people booked me because they liked my work - not because I was the cheapest. Although my website is not the best out there, the wording of the site gives the impression that I'm not cheap. I don't use words like 'affordable'. I don't give emphasis to images on CD - both of these I believe attracts the lower end of the market. Instead I use words like 'quality' and 'bespoke'. Since doing this, I attract a better type of client. Perhaps have a look at your marketing material and check there is nothing there that is giving the wrong signal to your target market.

You also mentioned Groupon in a post too. I would personally avoid this like the plague. In my view, Groupon only attracts bargain hunters and freeloaders - i.e. people who are more interested in the price, rather than the quality.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2013 - 6:00 PM

'Live by the sword, Die by the sword'

It was you Lucian who brought along your cheap packages and blanket SEO techniques in an attempt to sweep across the nation in a mass of wedding bookings. Thinking that nobody would notice your package was missing everything they would need, ending up with people not recommending you and google's new updates killing off any hope of mass doorway websites working for you.

Now you find yourself in a position where there is one thing alone that will be your savior or downfall , and that is your photography.

Everyone gets dis-heartened now and again and every business goes through good and bad times , its the way you bounce back that defines who you are and how well you will do in the future.

By now you should have a good base of recommends and have built yourself some sort of reputation, if not sit back and think whether your in the right game - if you are , then a complete re-think and a new strategy might be in order. Honesty, Hard Work and Good Photography are an excellent place to start, and you already have one of THE hardest things to get in this game, and that is experience - so use it to your advantage.

Spencer1966
31 Mar 2013 - 6:27 PM

I think we have had this thread before and I think I said then " if you keep on doing what youve always done you will always get what you always got" in other words your clientel, your packages and your business model are attracting the very low end of the market where it will be cost driven.
The ones that are doing well are where price to a ceratin degree is immaterial because the quality of the photography stands head and shoulders above the rest.
Change your model, go on training with investment, make your self a better photographer and abetter business person, mix with the type of people you want as your clients. Only you can make a difference.

puertouk
puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2013 - 6:40 PM

I think in todays market, we have lost the "middle" ground. It seems we have the cheap weddings and the expensive ones. You cannot put all your eggs into one baskets nowadays and you should look to expand your business in other directions. Stick to your guns and don't drop your standards, that is fatal. If anything, look at the more upmarket wedding jobs.

scottishphototours

Your model was all wrong because wedding photography will NEVER be a mass market sale. Pointless trying to sell based on cost alone as there will always be someone willing to undercut you. You were always aiming at the wrong end of the market.

Even these deals websites dont work. Total waste of time..

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 3253 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2013 - 8:20 PM

Quote: If you are a skilled photographer and a savvy businessman (or woman), then there is still scope to make a great career out of it.

A friend of mine is generally regarded as being one of the very best wedding and portrait photographers in Scotland (if not the entire UK) and his business seems to be really thriving. I think he said he did over 90 weddings last year and he only takes on those that are in the very top venues where, clearly, quality is appreciated and cost is not a prohibitive issue. (One of his pics - of Jamie Murray's wedding (Andy's brother) at Cromlix House regularly appears in the quality national press.)

You're not wrong................he and his daughter are top flight photographers even if they are Nikon users.............GrinGrinGrinGrin Seriously they are top notch and it is always a pleasure to view the work they produce...............GrinGrinGrinGrin

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023189 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2013 - 10:32 PM

Gather all your threads together Lucian.
Read them.
Count the number of times that people told you that you were wrong.
Gather up all the advice you have been given over these past six years.

Put it into a big scrapbook and title it..

"Wedding Photography: my part in its downfall. "

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2013 - 11:23 PM

Quote: I am now thinking about finding an alternative career.

Probably a good idea. Smile

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73373 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2013 - 11:28 PM

away from photography. Wink

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: time please