Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding Photography? Refusing to do cd only packages?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
23 Jan 2013 - 8:16 PM

Do you think that if a photographer refuses to do cd only wedding packages this could be detrimental to their business. Some photographers seem to glorify cd packages as a flexible and cost efficient alternetive to an expensive album package.
Many young brides who would not know quality if it bit them on the backside think its great to save money with a packages like this as it lets them print as many copies as they like and allows them to upload their photos on to social networking websites so their wee chav outfit friends can make heehaw comments.
I am beginning to wonder if refusing to do cd only packages would have a positive or negative effect on business.
If a photographer was to offer high quality well presented wedding photography packages with an album and give reasons for refusing to do cd only packages in relation to the quality control surrounding such packages would this potentially have a detrimental affect on business takingin to consideration that we are in the era of computers, cheap cameras and crap photobooks. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jan 2013 - 8:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 - 8:27 PM

....bloody customers...it'd be a great business if it weren't for them.

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3648 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 8:37 PM

Whatever happened to the idea of "the customer gets what the customer wants", business is tight in today's economic climate so any work should be welcomed.

User_Removed
23 Jan 2013 - 8:48 PM

Quote: Whatever happened to the idea of "the customer gets what the customer wants", business is tight in today's economic climate so any work should be welcomed.

TOTALLY agree.

But NOT - repeat NOT - at any price.

Wink

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
23 Jan 2013 - 8:52 PM

I hate doing them but if that's what they want then I take the money, but then i don't give them much change from what they would pay for an album package.
I feel that the job is not finished untill the album is printed, I love designing a bespoke album for each couple and a slideshow set to their first dance music where possible. I think it's all about job satisfaction and I sell more wedding packages through people passing round their album at work or amongst friends than anything else, I look at them as my best advert.
So CD packages I would love to see gone,and they seem to want you to include all the crap shot's by saying "I thought you took more than these" when you give them a CD of images you would put your name to. my answer is OH! I have deleted those because !!!!

paulcookphotography

From a non-wedding point of view, i normally dont take on CD only work. As i have a couple of high quality large format printers i can offer a lot of the printing myself, saving the customer money in the long term and giving me more profit from a commission. There wouldnt be much sense in me selling a CD for a client to take elsewhere.

However, in general terms, i think if it comes down to getting the work, if the client only wants you on a CD only basis, then take the job but remember to factor it into your prices

Paul_Anthony
23 Jan 2013 - 9:08 PM

We don't offer a CD only package as standard, all of our packages include a minimum of a 12x12inch 20 page album. We do however also supply a CD of High Res, copyright release to allow use of images for personal use, with all of our packages also. Our minimum package is:

- All day coverage, from bridal prep through to first dance.
- 12x12 inch Wedding Album.
- CD of High Res Images.

However, if a client was to request a CD only package we would certainly give them a quote. As we would if the customer only wanted 6 hours coverage instead of our standard 10 (ish). Why would you turn work away if you were running a business? Especially n the current economic climate and with there seemingly being 6 wedding photographers for every wedding contract these days Tongue .

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51178 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 10:53 PM

We offer packages that include an album as well as a CD. If they don't want the album they get a small discount.

Paul_Anthony
23 Jan 2013 - 11:10 PM

Quote: allows them to upload their photos on to social networking websites so their wee chav outfit friends can make heehaw comments.

Surely if your photographs are good then you won't mind them being taken off the CD and placed on Facebook. Why would you not want all of your happy brides friends to see your photographs?

Sounds like great advertising to me Lucian!!

Friend - "Wher did u get ur photos dun Cindy, they r mint?"
Cindy - "I no aint they gr8, dat tographa James did em"
Friend - "giv me his numba, i is gettin maried nxt yr"
Cindy - "no probs, i txt u his numba now"

Another victim.... sorry I mean client... snagged Lucien Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014740 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 11:11 PM

I do wonder how many people do much other than print a few 6 by 4's for Xmas presents....

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93447 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2013 - 4:47 PM

I would imagine half off them lose our damage the CDs before getting around to printing anyway...

779HOB
779HOB  21003 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 - 5:16 PM

Quote: reasons for refusing to do cd only packages in relation to the quality control surrounding such packages

What quality issues are there? Surely the images are either good or not whether they are printed in a book or put on a CD.

Paul_Anthony
24 Jan 2013 - 5:57 PM

I think Lucian is referring to couples who may take the CD and produce a substandard Album, Print the photographs themselves at home or alter the images themselves (cropping etc.).

I very much doubt he will come on here and confirm this though.

779HOB
779HOB  21003 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 - 8:14 PM

Quote: I think Lucian is referring to couples who may take the CD and produce a substandard Album, Print the photographs themselves at home or alter the images themselves (cropping etc.).

Ah yes, of course. I get that.

dandeakin
dandeakin  6198 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2013 - 8:30 PM

When I got married I only considered photographers who were prepared to give me a DVD of all the RAW files. Did all the albums myself (different ones for different people). Could make another one tomorrow if I wanted. Got a Big canvas done from one of the RAW files 4 years after the wedding.

I'm constantly amazed how many people wil pay thousands of pounds for a days coverage and then have to negotiate for extra images etc.

The photographer was exceptional, and although he didn't normally give out the RAW files he could see why I wanted them and knew he wouldn't be shooting my wedding if he didn't. He was quite happy with his cash in hand and didn't have much to worry about after the day was over.

Last Modified By dandeakin at 24 Jan 2013 - 8:31 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.