Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul_Anthony
25 Aug 2012 - 5:07 PM

As we run a city center studio and my business partner is away on holiday for two weeks, I did not have a wedding to photograph today as I was running the studio. I managed to get off early as my last appointment called to re-arrange their shoot.

As I walked home through the older part of town I have to pass the Church. I was pleased to see a wedding going on today at the Church as there are very few weddings held there these days. I arrived at the church at the same time as the bride and stopped to have a nose at the wedding TOG. The photographer had a very large Hamma camera bag, I was in a slightly elevated position and could see what was going quite well.

So, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that this wedding photographer had a Lunch Box, Her Handbag, One Spare lens and nothing else in her camera bag. In her hand was what looked like the equivalent of a Cannon 1100D or Nikon D3100. I could not see any Flash Gun, or Spare Bodies anywhere.

So there you go guys and gals, you don't need all that kit, as long as you have a full belly, your mobile phone, your wallet / purse and any old camera, you too can be a professional wedding photographer.

Grin Smile Tongue Wink

Last Modified By Paul_Anthony at 25 Aug 2012 - 5:09 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Aug 2012 - 5:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 5:16 PM

Quote: Are we all waiting, with bated breath, for Lucian's contribution to this thread?

Wink

Ahh the missing one ....

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Aug 2012 - 5:47 PM

Judging by the Huge amount of kit that some are lugging around the country it makes me wonder just what sought of insurance they have not only on the camera kit but also their cars.
Some car insurers do not cover personal items over 500 if damged in an accident or stolen with the car.
I have my car insured for business and pleasure it costs 150 more per year than social and domestic but covers personal items up to 5000 per item, also ALL my camera gear is insured independently including all the ancillaries.
Its easy to forget how much it would cost to replace all the bits and bobs

scottishphototours

I had a young lady (21 or so) come up to me at a wedding in a large local hotel where they had two weddings on the same day. Turns out she was the other "photographer" and she had a Canon camera with a plastic kit lens and nothing else, on what must have been one of the most contrasty days of the year. What did she want?? - to "borrow" a CF card as hers was full.... ( I kid you not!). Wanna guess my reply?

So, yeah, you get who you want to bring their lunch box, one camera and a lens. They're welcome to that way of working.

I'll happily work away knowing that if all goes T*ts up that I've still got the gear to enable me to do a good job, waiting in my well-insured car outside...

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 11:52 PM

Well the ones who are doing it on the cheap will often just be doing it for a little bit of extra cash, i.e. over and above what they earn from a completely unrelated job.

So it is not worth investing huge sums in equipment for them. It would not make economic sense.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 25 Aug 2012 - 11:53 PM
scottishphototours

Would you pay a Plumber who turned up to fix a leak in your pipes with a spanner, a screwdriver and a torch??? - and what if he asked you for a loan of a set of pipe grips?!!

Sorry CB, you either do it right or you don't do it at all in my opinion.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2012 - 12:11 AM

Quote: Would you pay a Plumber who turned up to fix a leak in your pipes with a spanner, a screwdriver and a torch???

Pretty much that did happen actually - and I had to help him with the work. Lol! Grin

Quote: you either do it right or you don't do it at all in my opinion.

In theory I agree, but in practice there are those who would rather pay (say) 200 rather than 750-1000+......... and take the risk. It is not as if physical damage will be caused by any incompetence or lack of equipment.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315370 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2012 - 12:14 AM

Quote: Sorry CB, you either do it right or you don't do it at all in my opinion

If the photographer turned up at my wedding with four large camera bodies, five flash units and copious amounts of other kit I think I would have become pretty nervous Smile

Paul_Anthony
26 Aug 2012 - 11:50 AM

Quote: If the photographer turned up at my wedding with four large camera bodies, five flash units and copious amounts of other kit I think I would have become pretty nervous Smile

Couldn't Agree more, quite why you would need to take a lap top with you to a wedding is beyond me.

I carry:

- Two Camera Bodies.
- One f2.8 long zoom.
- Two f2.8 short zooms.
- Two Flash guns.
- Plenty of memory cards and batteries.
- A tripod (usually used to attach my flash gun too for some off camera flash for the evening bride and groom shots).

There has been the odd occasion when I have taken the studio lights, but only if it is raining enough to allow no chance of going outside and if I have phoned ahead to the venue to check that they have sufficient space to use them inside for the groups and bride & groom portraits.

Regards

Paul

779HOB
779HOB  21020 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Aug 2012 - 11:53 AM

If it wasn't for wedding photographers companies like Nikon and Canon would surely go bust. I am staggered by the amount of kit you seem to need to shoot a wedding.

scottishphototours

There's a difference between what you need and what you choose to carry. I certainly don't need what I choose to carry, but when you've fallen backward over a kid and smashed your camera, main lens and flashgun then it brings it home to you just how easily the job can go awry. And we have to remember that it's a job we're being paid to carry out, where the customer is expecting results, there are no second chances and where reputation depends on you getting it right every time.

The ability to say to the Bride "sorry love I've broken my only camera / ran out of cards / broken my tripod / ran out of batteries, so I'm leaving early" just is not good for business...

Peter23
Peter23  62 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2012 - 5:45 PM

Well, lots of interesting opinions and information! I think if I got to deep into this and took everyones opinion as set, I'd be unbelievably nervous! Ultimately everyone starts somewhere and I think some people are a bit to "this is a must and you have to do this". But naturally, I appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions on this matter Smile.

Pete

scottishphototours

Quote: I think some people are a bit to "this is a must and you have to do this". But naturally, I appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions on this matter Smile.

The truth is that you can do as little or as much as you like. You don't HAVE to do anything, you can plough your own furrow and come up with your version of wedding photography. The prooof of the pudding will be in the amout of business you can generate showing clients YOUR version of wedding photography.

Whatever you're doing, just do it to the best of your ability and don't short change the customer... we always try and over-deliver on our clients expectations.

User_Removed
26 Aug 2012 - 7:53 PM

Quote: If it wasn't for wedding photographers companies like Nikon and Canon would surely go bust. I am staggered by the amount of kit you seem to need to shoot a wedding.

About half as much that I, as a total amateur, think I need to shoot the odd landscape and street scene!!

Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315370 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2012 - 11:12 PM

Quote: I would also consider doing tethered shots, especially the important ones. They do it in the studios

Guess you have never done a cattle market, sorry registry office Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.