Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2012 - 8:29 PM

I would say that the standard set of produced photos most good photographer will supply would be 400-600 for a full day , taking 1-2 dvds to store. Given that a 'good photographer' will take multiple shots of all the formals and test shots for light + lots of candid catching the moment shots it is quite reasonable to me to be taking 1500 in a shoot especially with two photographers on it , to be taking 5-10,000 however is just pure trigger happy and would be a complete drain on resources time and equipment !

But hey all wedding togs will vary and who is to say whats wrong or right ! the client is .........

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Aug 2012 - 8:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 9:32 AM

Quote: I only ask because I also read that a DVD is supplied to the customer. Or do they supply at a reduced resolution?
?

Even though some wedding photographers do take way too many photographs, I would suspect that the final edit of photographs that the client sees or receives is probably more in the region of 500 - 600 images.l

I am not asking how many images make the DVD but is the resolution of each image reduced from full size.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023026 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 10:03 AM

Well with the resolution of a 50" TV being around 1,366768, you don't need huge files to produce a DVD containing 300(ish) shots - in fact you can make it emailable.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 11:54 AM

Quote: Well with the resolution of a 50" TV being around 1,366768, you don't need huge files to produce a DVD containing 300(ish) shots - in fact you can make it emailable.

Full HD TVs [1620x1080 pixels] are very common these days. That sort of resolution is enough to give decent A4 prints [inkjets and many commercial outlets will work happily with files that are 150ppi]. So if you are supplying a disc that has fine quality JPEGs at that size, you're effectively giving the client the right to print their own, unless they want very large reproductions.

Some photographers will be happy with this, but it should be reflected in the price you're charging.

Paul_Anthony
29 Aug 2012 - 2:20 PM

Quote: I am not asking how many images make the DVD but is the resolution of each image reduced from full size.

You can easily fit around 300 images sized at 16x12 inch at 300dpi on a 4gb DVD, so there would be no problem giving fair sized images to the client if they have purchased a High Res, Copyright Free CD as part of their wedding package.

Paul

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023026 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 3:29 PM

Quote: Full HD TVs [1620x1080 pixels] are very common these days. That sort of resolution is enough to give decent A4 prints [inkjets and many commercial outlets will work happily with files that are 150ppi]. So if you are supplying a disc that has fine quality JPEGs at that size, you're effectively giving the client the right to print their own, unless they want very large reproductions.

Well you don't normally use software that makes it easy for the average person to extract the images.

ChrisV
29 Aug 2012 - 4:16 PM

Quote: Full HD TVs [1620x1080 pixels] are very common these days. That sort of resolution is enough to give decent A4 prints [inkjets and many commercial outlets will work happily with files that are 150ppi]. So if you are supplying a disc that has fine quality JPEGs at that size, you're effectively giving the client the right to print their own, unless they want very large reproductions.

Well you don't normally use software that makes it easy for the average person to extract the images.

Yeah, it does road-block a lot of users if you use some form of slideshow maker, but those with any nouse can find ways around that. I suppose it depends what understanding you're supplying on - you can save at lower qualities of compression and embed watermarks if you're playing policeman.

You would hope that when people are requesting disc-only that's what they want, rather than a way of getting all their images on the cheap. Most people probably don't realise they're not getting the equivalent of digital negatives of what you've shot.

Focus_Man
29 Aug 2012 - 4:24 PM

Many thanks I thought that would have to be the case and I see that the 10,000 in one case quoted, 5,000 being regarded as normal but a lot of people shooting 1,200 generally, but the DVDs contain possibly 300 shots.

Makes me wonder all the more as to why 5,000 shots are sometimes considered necessary at the shoot.

ChrisV
29 Aug 2012 - 4:30 PM

I'd say 5,000 is in most cases definitely excessive. But you're always going to shoot loads more than you'd use for very practical reasons. The more people you have in shot, the more likely it is that one of them's blinking and shooting multiples also up your chances of getting that great expression that's there for a fleeting moment. But if you're shooting in the multi-thousands you're giving yourself a hell of a lot of work to do just on the selection process.

Focus_Man
29 Aug 2012 - 4:52 PM

Like I have said Chris, in my day I used to take maximum of 48 on either 6X6 or 6X4.5 film or a combination of both and that always seemed to be plenty and with an album containing 20 - 25 prints, Brides & Grooms were always over the moon. Although at my age I will never again be doing professional weddings again, it is always of interest to see how things change with time in terms of both expectation and intention.

mikehit
mikehit  56454 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 5:09 PM

Quote: Like I have said Chris, in my day I used to take maximum of 48 on either 6X6 or 6X4.5 film or a combination of both and that always seemed to be plenty and with an album containing 20 - 25 prints,

I remember we were offered a folio of up to 40 photographs and our first reaction was 'when are we going to look at 40 photos again? Give us one large print and 4 or 5 small ones'.

As opposed to 'Here, Aunt Gladys look at our wedding photos. There are only 8,000 so it won't take long...and by the way, everyone, you can only look at them one at a time because you need the computer'

ChrisV
30 Aug 2012 - 2:43 PM

I always try and encourage people to take a book - usually ITRO 30 pages - so they may be getting around 100 photos in that, [as well as a slideshow]. I think that both is more stylish and far more practical/useful for passing around/repeated looks and is something that makes a good keepsake of the day.

I'm not always successful in my persuasion.

Focus_Man
30 Aug 2012 - 2:51 PM

Quote: I always try and encourage people to take a book - usually ITRO 30 pages - so they may be getting around 100 photos in that, [as well as a slideshow]. I think that both is more stylish and far more practical/useful for passing around/repeated looks and is something that makes a good keepsake of the day.

I'm not always successful in my persuasion.

Now that's more like it. I always provided an album (of their choice of course), it is a much better keepsake, but then of course so many marriages do not last long these days. We have been married for 51 years in December and we still value our wedding album. Incidentally, if I remember correctly, the guy used a 'plate camera' to do ours.

Good luck in your campaign to provide photo-books.

Paul_Anthony
30 Aug 2012 - 4:29 PM

We supply both an Album and the DVD of High Res images with all of or wedding packages. Our Standard Package consists of:

- All day coverage from Bridal Prep right through until after the First Dance (usually around 10 hours).
- A DVD containing all edited images, High Res and Copyright Free (usually around 500).
- A 12x12 inch, 20 page, Photo Book Wedding Album, showing between 20 & 50 photographs depending on design and layout of the album.

Why try and sell an album after the wedding? Give the couple everything they need as standard at a price you are happy with. We also do not like the so called Shoot & Burn packages as we like to provide the couple with a quality wedding album that shows off our work as intended.

The only choice is if the couple would like to upgrade their package to include Parents Albums, Engagement shoots, Bridesmaids Books, Canvas Wraps etc. We also offer Larger Story Book Wedding Albums with our more expensive packages.

Paul

Peter23
Peter23  62 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 5:50 PM

So to continue this great subject...

How do we all meter? I'm thinking spot metering from the brides dress is a safe one to go by?

Pete

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.