Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wedding Photography Bookings Down?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

scottishphototours

This post (on this very website) is exactly why Luican is suffering....[link removed - unfair to member concerned]

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 10 Feb 2013 - 8:37 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Feb 2013 - 7:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014817 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2013 - 8:02 PM

nothing better than seeing sh1t wedding photos on Facebook from people asked you for a quote and went elsewhere

Spencer1966
10 Feb 2013 - 8:22 PM

Quote: This post (on this very website) is exactly why Luican is suffering....read this and weep

Thats a bit unkind to that OP not knowing the full background. but do agree people think if you have an SLR you automatically get great results.

thewilliam
10 Feb 2013 - 8:33 PM

Quote: My 3rd potential bride had contacted me from Afghanistan as she is in the Army. We had emailed over 4 separate occasions, me giving her a full breakdown of my pricing and her day and what she should expect. Her venue is one where I am personally recommended by the owner. She emailed, asking me to meet her around 30 miles from my home to review sample albums and to book. I turned up at the pre-arranged meeting to receive an email saying that she was at a wedding fayre and had booked another photographer who she had just met and she had booked him instead - but thanked me for my help. Experiences like this, more than anything else, would make me give up wedding photography...

She-who-must-be-obeyed has recently retired from wedding photography. 2010 was her last year and if my memory serves me correctly, her average was just over 4k.

One thing she did learn: when brides expect her to jump through hoops before booking, they'll be 10 times worse when they're signed up as customers. On one occasion when she met prospects away from base, they didn't even have the decency to say "no". They wouldn't return emails and all phone calls were mysteriously cut off once the prospect knew who was calling.

Honesty and integrity have disappeared from a large swath of the British population as well as our banking and commerce. The horse-meat in "beef" products shouldn't surprise us. How many supermarkets have taken or are likely to take legal action against their suppliers?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023051 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2013 - 8:45 PM

Water finds its level.

scottishphototours

Quote: This post (on this very website) is exactly why Luican is suffering....[link removed - unfair to member concerned]

Mods please see my comments earlier in this thread - far worse than this comment!

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
11 Feb 2013 - 12:15 PM

Quote: Doubling prices is the way to go Lucian...

I think you are the wind up with a comment like this. It would mean that about 80% of clients would not book and would go elsewhere.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315404 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 3:22 PM

Quote: My wedding photography bookings are down this year

Branch out and do funerals as well Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56492 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 3:33 PM

Or, as the vicars call it: hatch match and despatch. Offer a package deal: give me the christening photos and the rest will come at a discount Wink

Quote: I think you are the wind up with a comment like this. It would mean that about 80% of clients would not book and would go elsewhere.

But if you are making a profit on 450, the other 450 is pure profit: so one of those jobs at 900 has the same profit margin as doing 10 jobs at 450. Your choice.
As long as you have the quality of product to justify that 900 it should not be a problem.

Spencer1966
11 Feb 2013 - 7:20 PM

I think you are the wind up with a comment like this. It would mean that about 80% of clients would not book and would go elsewhere.

thats your problem - have you heard the saying "if you keep on doing what youve always done you will always get what you always got"

Your current client type is after a cheap deal - the only way is to improve your work, re brand, and put your prices up. Initially yes you will lose business but is it business you really want.

Think long term!!!

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 - 8:30 PM

If the client sees value in your work you can charge more. It isn't always the cheapest price that gets the contract. I paid 1600 for my photos, which was double what other photographers at the same wedding fair were charging, however his work stood out and had a unique style that appealed to me. People will always be willing to pay more for something they see value in. Why do people buy Rolex or Breitling, when a 10 watch will do the same. If your work is better than those charging 500, why prostitute yourself and compete on price.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72507 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
11 Feb 2013 - 10:24 PM

yup.. provided your work is up to it...my daughters wedding last year cost us 2000 but the shots were imaginative and clever....

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014817 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 10:30 PM

you were looking for solutions to your flawed business plan - I merely offered one....

don't you think your work is worth 900 ?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139466 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 10:54 PM

In the market in which Lucian is competing - he has made past reference to 'chav brides' etc - his main competition is from friends and family with the dreaded iPhone (and similar).

No easy solution to this, other than maybe halving prices. Smile

thewilliam
11 Feb 2013 - 10:57 PM

People have advised Lucian to both double and halve prices. It would be sensible to do either because it would move Lucian into less crowded sections of the market and both strategies would yield increased profit if the offereing is tweaked to fit the price-point.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.