Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Wedding Photography Scam ?

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 8:13AM
Just a quick note to wedding togs out there, I have recently received what looked to be a fairly genuine enquiry from a foreign lady wishing to book a wedding in Liverpool, I am based in Teesside which is not unusual however some of the wording in the email was a little suspect and after a brief conversation which led nowhere have now received the same original enquiry again, which has sent alarm bells ringing , the ladys name checks out to a chinese marketing manager based in Honk Kong.

Dont know yet what the score is but be aware as something doesn't sit right ....

Andrew

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 8:34AM
You have answered your own question.........
conrad 10 10.9k 116
12 Feb 2013 9:00AM
It usually involves cashing a cheque, and simply means they want to either launder money, or cheat you out of your own money, and we regularly see mention of such scams on here.
12 Feb 2013 9:06AM
So how would me cashing one of their cheques help them ? cheers for the replies
guidoa 13 1.3k United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 11:29AM
The usual scam is that you are sent a cheque for far more than your fee/charges, the cheques is often on an obscure bank, they ask you to refund the overpayment, which people do after what they consider a reasonable time, only to find eventually that the original cheque is worthless.
soundaz7 1 8 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 11:48AM
Trust your instincts! If it don't feel right, steer clear.
Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
12 Feb 2013 12:09PM
They also then have your bank account details from your cheque!!Wink

Andy
thewilliam 6 4.7k
12 Feb 2013 12:10PM
We had one of these about 7 years back.

The enquiry seemed kosher until UPS delivered a cheque from Lagos in Nigeria for just over 5k, which is about 10 times our booking fee. It was a company cheque so I spoke to the finance director and learned that it was forged and one of many. The prospect had asked us to deduct our fee and send the rest to the "wedding planner".

I paid the cheque in at the police station rather than the bank and asked the prospect to send another cheque but, for some strange reason, we weren't able to get any reply.

This cheque was a very good forgery and would have "un-cleared" as soon as the company noticed that some of their money had gone astray. My cheque would have been honoured, leaving me somewhat out of pocket.

We can never be certain that a cheque has irrevocably cleared, so steer clear and contact the police.
12 Feb 2013 4:56PM
There is a family run B&B near me that have been done by the same scam, they naively cashed the cheque and refunded someone in Hungery, they have been scamed out of 20,000!!!! Its in the hand of there bank and the police now. The owners of the B&b are pretty old and never though anything of it.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
12 Feb 2013 5:09PM
And there was me thinking this was another Lucian post Wink
12 Feb 2013 5:42PM

Quote:And there was me thinking this was another Lucian post Wink

LOL , he hasn't been around for a while has he ?
guidoa 13 1.3k United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 5:57PM
Think he was around yesterday, complaining of downturn in bookings
12 Feb 2013 6:14PM
cheers just seen it and put my two quid in Wink
thewilliam 6 4.7k
12 Feb 2013 7:11PM

Quote:Cheers just seen it and put my two quid in Wink

Didn't it used to be two pen'worth? Is inflation really that bad?
zed 10 551 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 7:57PM
This is a well known scam, have you not seen Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels?! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.